Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Business closures around the county

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Has the comic shop closed down in The Courtyard?

I see Aunty Nelly's sweet shop has closed down on Main St to move to the Tesco shopping centre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Has the comic shop closed down in The Courtyard?

I see Aunty Nelly's sweet shop has closed down on Main St to move to the Tesco shopping centre
    Yes went about a month ago.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

K-9 wrote: »
    Them, the Euro shop (though with the one open in the main SC I doubt I'll be in there anymore) and Happy days is okay too. That's about it. I tend to use the stairs in Easons to avoid going through SC if I can!
    Jaysus, it's hardly that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just heard foody's has closed in donegal town - shame

byte

Yeah, my workmate goes there for lunch, and told me it was closed yesterday - however, I didn't think he meant permanently. That's a shame, though opening a deli and convenience shop so close to Timony's was odd.

Suppose they were closer to the bus stop though, tourists wouldn't immediately know to walk around the corner.

Not a good time, so close to Christmas, for the staff to lose their jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Pearl's Place in Donegal Town seems to be closed. And another new hairdressers is moving into the town, Rossanno's.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

just heard foody's has closed in donegal town - shame

Was that were Classic Casuals used to be? Noticed it closed my self.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Pearl's Place in Donegal Town seems to be closed.
    yep it has
    Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Was that were Classic Casuals used to be? Noticed it closed my self.

yep thats the one

byte

Also, staying with Donegal town, there seems to be a new Indian take-away (maybe restaurant, dunno) opening in No 11, on Main Street (opposite Doc's Bar).

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Not closed but just heard on the news Jackson's Hotel in Ballybofey has gone into receivership

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Not closed but just heard on the news Jackson's Hotel in Ballybofey has gone into receivership
    Wow! Thats a shock.

byte

I'm surprised. Indo says it's in administration, which I thought was a step beyond receivership. However, Highland website says it's in receivership, so I'll opt to believe that instead.

Seaview Hotel, Gweedore is in administration I see from the Indo article.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/two-hotels-in-north-west-placed-in-administration-30893366.html

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Indo probably think Donegals in the North thats why they're using the term administration which is the British equivalent of receivership

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Donegal Ice-skating closed it's doors this weekend, the airsoft/crazy golf is still going though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Donegal Ice-skating closed it's doors this weekend, the airsoft/crazy golf is still going though.

Donegal had an ice skating ring! I assume it was a seasonal one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

No, it was artificial ice, open year round. It was in Newtoncunningham.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

There's another one in Letterkenny. Beside the cinema, I think it's called Century Ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

There's another one in Letterkenny. Beside the cinema, I think it's called Century Ice.
    I thought that one closed ages ago? We were actually talking about maybe going sometime soon when we somehow came to the conclusion that it was shut.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Century Ice is still open, never hear much talk about it though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

No, it was artificial ice, open year round. It was in Newtoncunningham.

funny, I was just talking about that place tonight.. It was a garden centre then a Pound shop before it was an ice skating rink. I was there in early Dec briefly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

The reason for it closing, lots of "claims" forcing his insurance way way up. The claim culture around recently is sickening.

Read recently of a girl getting 27k for a broken ankle at a go karting track. According to the defense she was shown how to go forward and reverse the kart but not steer it! There is no reverse on go karts for starters and you steer with the round thing in front of you.

The mind boggles.

Was in the Courtyard today. Looks like Joe Jackson's ice cream place is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 airdog

AROMA PIZA the diamond ardara is closed

Nooooooooooooooo!!!

So looks like I was wrong. Just looked completely cleaned out at the time, including signs taken down, during the day. But was open today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

So looks like I was wrong. Just looked completely cleaned out at the time, including signs taken down, during the day. But was open today.
    It was def "closed" for a period of time with signage & seats removed too. Just noticed yesterday that it was open again with what seems like the same lad running it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Technique

Change of ownership. The guy who has always ran it bought it out from the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Open yesterday and a good few about it which is good to see.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 PatrickMcG89

Ladbrooks Bookmakers on Letterkenny MainStreet
    Staff given 30 days notice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Firblog

Fish shop in Donegal Closed, strange as Starcrest Seafoods were running it, thought it'd be easier for them to make a go of it.

The fish van - out the back of the diamond centre - stopped operating too.

Think Walsh's Butcher's - Marty - doing fish now, just there and Supervalu in Town.

Advertisement