Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Independent Wrestling *Possible Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just read a description elsewhere. Hoping the replay will be up soon. Sounds cool. Back in May?

You can watch it now even during the live show.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haU-BfRKnLc

Go to about the 1hr 56 min mark. Takes a while to get going. If you haven't been following the story go to 2hr 2min 30 sec mark for a massive brawl between every bad guy faction in CHIKARA history vs the current CHIKARA roster. Think WWF vs the Invasion. The crowd goes mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Will check it out tomorrow when I get back to my pc. Tablet won't display it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

It was amazing, some solid matches during the show but what an ending!
    3.Archie in the DeLorean with the dry ice almost killed me
    Good solid start to the return. If I remember there is one more Wrestling Is... show and hopefully a WrestleCon show scheduled before 25/5/2014 and Aniversario (maybe) the week after so more of the same to come! So excited

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Just started to get in to PWG. Bought some dvds from the sale they had on before Christmas and while it's taken be a while to get round to looking at them, I have to say I'm very impressed.

Haven't seen a poor match yet (obviously some better than others) in the 3 dvds I've way he'd so far and they seem to make sure the shows are fun which is awesome. Look forward to keeping up with the promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Andy_rse wrote: »
    Just started to get in to PWG. Bought some dvds from the sale they had on before Christmas and while it's taken be a while to get round to looking at them, I have to say I'm very impressed.

Haven't seen a poor match yet (obviously some better than others) in the 3 dvds I've way he'd so far and they seem to make sure the shows are fun which is awesome. Look forward to keeping up with the promotion.

PWG are the best promotion out there if you dont care about storylines too much. They pretty much give you the best matches they can every show.

• Advertisement

A few days on and a half dozen Mike Quackenbush interviews later does anyone have any great thoughts about the past year's CHIKARA storyline?

I'm not entirely sure what the point was. It was interesting at first but quickly got boring with those awful videos that were released. It got more interest in the company, but was it really enough to warrant shutting down the whole promotion for so long?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Any links please to a good Quackenbush interview on it all?

Palo Alto wrote: »
    Any links please to a good Quackenbush interview on it all?

His Art of Wrestling show with Colt Cabana:
    http://tsmradio.com/coltcabana/2014/02/05/aow-185-mike-quackenbush/

Greatly enjoyed that one.I genuinely don't understand people in various corners of the internet wigging out over him calling what CHIKARA does as performance art or the fury towards the idea in an indy promotion is not being run as a pure business. When in reality most indies are lucky to break even and more than a far share primarily exist to service the ego of the promoter anyway.

I thought there was a lot of flaws in what he did and how he communicated things but I greatly admire him attempting something different. But ultimately he over asked of fans too much and played with their emotions too strongly. As CHIKARA's senior referee said the story kicked fans in balls several times.

The whole idea of transmedia is really interesting. Remember when viral marketing was new to all of us back when Nine Inch Nails's album launch and WWE's Save Us. 222 campaign were novel experiments?

CHIKARA issued the most succinct possible recap of this year's event on their website:

http://www.chikarapro.com/part-one.php

It is three pages.

For those interested yet intimidated their return show in May is meant to be a "jump on" point.

• Advertisement

PWG ASW Night 1, Davey Richards said "I only said Orlando, I didnt say where."

An obvious pisstake but funny now considering he ended up with TNA :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭robvondoom

Ring of Honor just announced a partnership with New Japan.
    Now if you don't mind, I have to get back to marking out like a teenage girl at a Bieber concert.

The Mount Rushmore tag on Night two is mental. Really needs to be watched.

robvondoom wrote: »
    Ring of Honor just announced a partnership with New Japan.
    Now if you don't mind, I have to get back to marking out like a teenage girl at a Bieber concert.

Hiroshi Tanahashi, Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada, Jushin Liger, Gedo, Jado and Kushida all announced.

Let's read entirely too much into Devitt not being announced for these shows in May.

rovert wrote: »
    Hiroshi Tanahashi, Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada, Jushin Liger, Gedo, Jado and Kushida all announced.

Let's read entirely too much into Devitt not being announced for these shows in May.

The one I noticed wasnt Devitt but instead mentioning Kushida but not his tag partner, Alex Shelley. Seems like they only mentioned Japanese guys.

The pre match promo before Tracy Smothers vs Colt Cabana at AIW's Dead President's just made the rest of the show worth the effort so far. Tracy starts out as the heel, but goes babyface when he rants about Hogan and WWE before going back to the heel for the match. It's made the previous hour and a half worth the struggle.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    The pre match promo before Tracy Smothers vs Colt Cabana at AIW's Dead President's just made the rest of the show worth the effort so far. Tracy starts out as the heel, but goes babyface when he rants about Hogan and WWE before going back to the heel for the match. It's made the previous hour and a half worth the struggle.

Tracy's backstage promo on that one as well. Where he forgets he is doing a promo and just talks to the camera man?

rovert wrote: »
    Tracy's backstage promo on that one as well. Where he forgets he is doing a promo and just talks to the camera man?

He just rambled for ages :D

Early going in the match is pretty great too, with them trying to hide the weapons. Considering he is in his 50's he is fairly limited in the ring so this is a perfect way to use him.

My big complaint about the show is they started with close to 30 minutes of promos. That's waaay too long and sets a bad tone from the off.

Observer Live confirmed that Young Bucks, Karl Anderson, and Forever Hooligans, will all be in the ROH/New Japan tour in May.

It has been CONFIRMED Devitt is NOT on the tour.

Fighting Spirit Magazine cryptically(?) replied to that news:
    Devitt should be working NJPW shows until April.

So this looks promising...

vLEx9u7.png

• Advertisement

Great news for Indy fans of a certain vintage.

Alex Shelley announced his returned to Indy Wrestling today:

20f98v8.jpg

If you read his timeline the past week or two he has been talking about Wrestling more and more than previously.

Very happy to see him back. Shelley, Hero and Styles all around at the same time is massive.

Do ROH now acknowledge Styles as the first Pure Champion? They never used to (once TNA pulled all their guys) but Kevin Kelly at the 12th Anniversary Show mentioned it.

Biku9huCYAA3EOw.jpg:large

Tears of joy here:
    Ring of Honor issued the following press release:

RING OF HONOR WRESTLING® & LEADING STREAMING PROVIDER USTREAM COLLABORATE TO STREAM ROH / NEW JAPAN SUPER SHOWS LIVE IN HIGH DEFINITION

Baltimore, MD (March 27, 2014) – Ring of Honor Wrestling® (ROH) has come to terms with Ustream, Inc. to provide the May 10th ROH GLOBAL WARS and May 17th ROH WAR OF THE WORLDS events live online. Ustream is a leading service provider of live and on-demand international, sports and variety programming delivered via broadband.

Rated the #1 LIVE online video streaming platform and winning the 2013 Streaming Media Readers' Choice Awards for their live streaming service, Ustream has an unprecedented track record for reliable, high quality streaming content for almost a decade and has worked with New Japan Pro Wrestling for over two years in providing exceptional LIVE broadcasts.

The two Internet pay-per-view cards, produced and distributed live online by Ring of Honor for $14.95 each, will feature Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro-Wrestling's most decorated wrestlers.

The date and times for these super shows are:

ROH GLOBAL WARS: Saturday, May 10th at 7:30 p.m. EST/4:30 p.m. PST
    ROH WAR OF THE WORLDS: Saturday, May 17th at 7:30 p.m. EST/4:30 p.m. PST

Both events can be purchased separately in advance or at the time of the event at www.UStream.TV with all major credit cards via Paypal.

Also, the super shows will both be available as a replay immediately after their conclusion of the events on ROH's Ustream channel and at www.ROHWrestling.com.

"Fans are always asking for live ROH Internet Pay-Per-Views and Ustream's capabilities allow us to deliver," Chief Operating Officer Joe Koff said. "Through this technology and our production team, fans have an awesome opportunity to enjoy two of the biggest shows of the year live. Ustream is an industry leader in video streaming infrastructure with exceptional reliability for distribution of its live streaming events and we're excited to collaborate with them on offering these events to our customers worldwide."

For more information on experiencing Ring of Honor versus New Japan Pro-Wrestling LIVE, visit: www.ROHwrestling.com.

Follow ROH on Twitter: @RingofHonor
    Like ROH at: Facebook.com/RingofHonor

Check your local listings to see where you can watch Ring of Honor TV each and every week or subscribe and watch online at: www.ROHWrestling.com.

UStream is as safe as houses steam quality wise.

You and me both mate. I've been salivating at the prospect of ROH Vs New Japan but THIS is the team up I've been hoping against hope for.
    Tremendous news altogether.

Anyone watching the SHIMMER show tonight?

http://www.wwnlive.com/event-shimmer-04-05-14.html

Begins 9pm-ish tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Shando316

1798043_10153744993140262_1869051415_n.jpg

Pro Wrestling Ulster tomorrow night in Belfast!

The SHIMMER show was fantastic last night and the New Japan Invasion show is blowing my mind currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

The WWE Network is ROH's gain it would appear: http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/roh-debuts-live-ppv-w-best-world-2014-sunday-june-22
    Baltimore, MD (April 17, 2014) – Ring of Honor Wrestling Entertainment, LLC (“ROH”) today announced that they have agreed to deliver live Pay-Per-View programming starting with Ring of Honor: Best in the World 2014 emanating from Nashville, TN on Sunday June 22nd at the Nashville Fairgrounds.

For the first time ever, fans will be able to experience a marquee ROH event live at home via all major cable or satellite providers and witness next generation wrestling innovation, epic rivalries and world championship bouts.

Advertisement