Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay cut for better job?

• 29-01-2008 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

OK, i might be in the following situation very soon.

Would you take a 20% pay cut to have less stress in your job (guaranteed)?
    Assuming new job is similar to old job, but with less staff problem, no deadlines etc etc.

I've made my decision, just wondering what other people would do.

Would you take a 20% pay cut for a less stressful job? 51 votes

YES, i'm too stressed
    1% 1 vote
    NO, i need the money
    68% 35 votes
    atari jaguar
    29% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

depends- does having the money relieve financial worries/stress etc. I could work another job or get a better one paying more but am happy as I am. Have to weigh them up yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Depends on whether you have dependents-children, people you have to look after? If I didn't have any dependents and enjoyed my new job much more than the higher paid job, then sure, I would.

Eight hours a day for 5 or 6 days in a job you hate can be unbearable (from experience).

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

Possibly the most ridiculous question of all time!
    Yes of course you would swop!!

Ok! may be I am just unique but I left a State job in Dublin to work for myself at aged 28. I was six years in the job and having liked it initially I grew to despise it and most of the things about it. Even the co workers!!
    Lost approx €18k/€20 in yearly salary but looking back on it now it was the best decision I ever made.

Money aint everything. Peace of mind and quality of life. Now thats something to strive for.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I've made my decision, just wondering would you(s) sacrifice money for an easier working life?

I was asking a few people about a current offer i have, i was surprised how many said they would, we're obviously a stressed out country;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Out of interest Matt, what did you take up doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

Publican

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

In a heartbeat.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yes, I would ... but ofc as others have said it depends if you can afford to. If, like me, you have only yourself to keep fed and watered (and beered! :D) ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Definitely! Provided you have no dependents and you can meet your financial obligations (mortgage/rent that kind of thing) I'd say go for it for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Double post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

I dropped 35% wages to change job, a more technical job with less hassle and much better prospects after words (also not working in that ****hole called dublin). Got a raise after 6 months, expect another raise in a month or two and i'll be back up to the wages I was on before. My experience and career prospects are much better now by comparison to staying in old job, and im much happier overall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Pinkchick03

Definitely - life is too short to be stuck in a stressful job. I think job satisfaction is more important than money. If you can afford to take the pay cut, I would go for it! I know I did.... I am living and working in Japan for a lot less money than what I was on in Ireland.... and I have to say - it's great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Definitely - life is too short to be stuck in a stressful job. I think job satisfaction is more important than money. If you can afford to take the pay cut, I would go for it! I know I did.... I am living and working in Japan for a lot less money than what I was on in Ireland.... and I have to say - it's great :D

Same here, and I now live in New Zealand and enjoy going to work each day. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yep, I would.

A high salary is great but if you are not self-employed it's difficult to write off tax unless you are in Fianna Fail or unless you get married or buy a house.
    Must put them on my to do list :)

And when you pay 41% tax, tbh there comes a point when it's not working the overtime. Hell, it seems I work for Minister Cowen these days, over €1,000 in tax last month :(

If anyone knows any tax scams, pm me please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

if you can afford to live on the new wage then go for it.

I had a really rough experience in a previous company, hated every minute of my job, loathed getting out of bed and piled on a ton of weight. Since getting my most current job i feel like my old self again. Never doubt the importance of enjoying ones work, you spend 8 hours a day doing your job, thats more than you spend asleep! If you dont enjoy it slightly then what the F*ck is the point?
    micmclo wrote: »

If anyone knows any tax scams, pm me please

share the knowledge brother! i too know the sting of the monthly 1k+ tax rapings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

your health cant be bought. If i lost 20 per cent of my wage for a less stressful job , you wouldnt hear me complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I took an almost 20% pay drop just before Christmas and I'll never look back.

That job had me seriously ill thanks to being so run down I couldn't fight off any minor bug and I wound up in hospital.

Much happier now and to be honest, I don't even miss the extra money AND I have a life now too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

In a heartbeat. I know what it is like to be miserable going to work every day. People say work shouldn't take over your life but as someone said above if you're spending 8 hours, 5 days a week miserable it has a big effect on your quality of life.

As long as you won't starve on the new wages, then I definitely would. What's the point of having more money if you're too stressed/busy/miserable to spend it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

It would depend on my financial situation. If I was debt free and I had a bit of savings, then yes, I would probably choose the nicer life route...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

My job isn't too stressful, so I'd do the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Rabies wrote: »
    Same here, and I now live in New Zealand and enjoy going to work each day. :D
    Pfft! Course you do ... your job involves your / most mens favourite hobbies ... drink and chatting up women out on the tear! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I took a 75% pay drop about 9 months ago. I needed to get out of the job I was in and ended up being a games tester.

Now have a new job that will put me above previous earnings doing something a little similar, but completely different :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Pythia wrote: »
    My job isn't too stressful, so I'd do the opposite.

me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭yaynay

Possibly the most ridiculous question of all time!
    Yes of course you would swop!!

Ok! may be I am just unique but I left a State job in Dublin to work for myself at aged 28. I was six years in the job and having liked it initially I grew to despise it and most of the things about it. Even the co workers!!
    Lost approx €18k/€20 in yearly salary but looking back on it now it was the best decision I ever made.

Money aint everything. Peace of mind and quality of life. Now thats something to strive for.

Matt

Peace of mind doesn't pay the mortgage. Yeah you may have less stress in work but the pay cut may result in more pressure at home, when you can't afford to pay bills etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Pfft! Course you do ... your job involves your / most mens favourite hobbies ... drink and chatting up women out on the tear! :D

... and of course the weather helps. 26c today :D

Advertisement