Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MNSCI (Midlands) 100 & 300 (optional 500 yard) open "STAG" shoot.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

picture.php?albumid=2359&pictureid=15201

This is a little premature, but i said i'd stick it up to give lads as much notice as possible.

The Midlands National Shooting Centre of Ireland (MNSCI) will be holding an open shoot, preliminary scheduled for Sunday August 3rd. The shoot will consist of details at 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 and 600 yards. There will be the choice to shoot in specific distances or in all distances. Prizes will be also be given for the highest score in each distance and to the person with the overall best score in ALL distances.

So basically you can shoot whatever distances you wish or do them all. Your choice. The competition is an open comp. Meaning it's open to anyone, and any caliber. No restrictions. The targets will be "animal" based meaning they will be a paper target of an animal and not a standard competition, ring, target. There will be points awarded for heart & lung/head shots and points lost for gut/ass/jaw shots. So it'll test your ability to hit the proper spot.

Now i've received no details on specifics. So what iv'e posted above is purely preliminary. The exact details including amount of rounds, cost per detail, cost for entire shoot, etc. will all be posted as i get it.

The only thing i can say is that insurance and firearms licenses will be required as per any comp and must be shown before shooting. You register in the clubhouse and then you're on your merry way.

I'm hoping to nail down specifics within the next 2 -4 days and as soon as i do i'll post the full specs here. Sometimes lads say not enough time is given so i've posted this to give anyone interested a full month to free up some time, etc. So start making up the excuses for the other half.

If anything changes or i've "jumped the gun" i'll make the corrections asap. Keep an eye on this thread for any such updates.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Details changed.

Please post #17 for exact details of shoot.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 buckmark 1

do you have to be a member of a club to take part and is it ok for 303 rifle. thanks cass in advance.

buckmark 1 wrote: »
    do you have to be a member of a club to take part
    No.
    and is it ok for 303 rifle.
    Yup.

Any caliber, any design, and open to anyone. All welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Would love to attend,sadly my Chief Superintendant is being a dick,yet again, about my semi auto rifle:mad:.So I cant see that being sorted before the date.So best of luck to all who do shoot.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Would love to attend,sadly my Chief Superintendant is being a dick,yet again, about my semi auto rifle:mad:.So I cant see that being sorted before the date.So best of luck to all who do shoot.

That sucks grizzly i hope you have it sorted soon.

Same as that, hope you do get sorted asap, Grizz.

I've gone and changed most of my guns again (want it done before the season starts) so am waiting on another .308, but i'm lucky enough to have the Remmy to fall back on. I'll be trying the 100 - 300 as i've done it before and know the gun is well capable, but might give the 400 - 600 a try before the comp to see how she fairs out with them. Also read on another thread by everypenny about Hornady steel match and at €50 per 50 i might buy a box to try out and if they work get some for the comp.

If you do get her before i expect to see ya there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

Can you fire one caliber at say 100 and a different caliber at a different distance or do you have to use the same rifle on all distances ?

Whatever you like.

.17hmr at 100, .223 at 200 and .243 at 300, .308 at everything else.

This is a fun shoot so other than insurance, firearm licenses, and standard range protocols there are few regulations.

That's grand because by the looks of it I wont have the .223 got and my drops worked out in the time but if I use the HMR at the 100 yard the .270 with the light barell is only good for few shots before she heats up too much I might try that at the 200 and if she cools fast enough then again at whatever the last distance the shoot is at.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭everypenny

Cass wrote: »
    Also read on another thread by everypenny about Hornady steel match and at €50 per 50 i might buy a box to try out and if they work get some for the comp.

Well worth getting them. Review here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057246004

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭patsat

Any idea of a round count for each stage??

Not yet.

.They are getting in "special" targets for the event, and enough to hold a few more this year. IOW start making it a regular feature. So i'd expect to have definite details by weeks end at the latest.

Going on previous STAG shoots it'll most likely be a 4 or 8 round per distance/detail. This accommodates all rifles and not just those with 5 round capabilities.

So the targets for this have been slightly delayed hence the delay in exact details. I was on the range today checking drops at the various distance (only got to go to 300) and was assured they are ordered, just a matter of when they arrive.

If this causes a delay to the shoot i'll post as soon as possible to save lads making arrangements (and hopefully not) if it doesn't go ahead.
    That's grand because by the looks of it I wont have the .223 got and my drops worked out in the time ..........
    No excuses now lad. :D

I'll think of something if it goes belly up

Right lads just a final reminder of the shoot this coming Sunday August 3rd. Details of the shoot have changed from when i first posted, and are outlined below so please read them carefully.

Remember this is an open shoot. All are welcome. There are no restrictions on caliber, sights, etc. The only two rules regarding the shoot are:
    1. All shots/firing will be from the prone position
    2. Only front rest allowed (sandbag, bipod or any other field variant of a rest). No back rest, and no benchrest front rests.

Shoot will start at 11am Sunday morning, and registration will be in the clubhouse before shoot. Anyone interested should text JP Craven, on 086-8232641, before 6pm on Friday the 1st August to help us sort out squadding of the details. Entry fee for the comp is €20. This covers both distances.

The competition shoot will be shot at 100 and 300 yards. No matter how it was worked out this was the only way to prevent lads needing an excessive amount of rounds. So keeping the cost to fun ratio even. There has been a lot of thought put into the shoot in terms of giving lads the most shooting for their time, while not having ye to remortgage your home to take part (cost of ammo) :D

There will be 6 targets for each competitor. Targets will be:
    • Warthog
    • Wildebeest
    • Water Buffalo
    • Lion
    • Jackal
    • Springbok

Targets will be available to view so you can study where you need to hit. The targets will be snap targets and you'll get 10 second per target. You need one head shot and one heart shot. Then the target is taken down. The next target will be a different animal, and the same thing. One head shot, one heart shot. You'll do this for all 6 targets at both 100 and 300 yards. A total of 24 scoring shots (28 including sighters) over both distances.

You'll have 6 lads per detail, 6 targets per lad, 2 shots per target. It breaks down like this:

100 yards.
    1. Two sighting shots
    2. First target appears
    3. You have 10 seconds to fire two rounds.
    4. One shot at the head
    5. One shot at the heart
    6. Target will be removed after 10 seconds.
    7. Points will be awarded for hitting the kill zone
    8. Points will be deducted for missing (IOW stomach, ass, etc hits)
    9. Second target appears.
    10. Repeat steps 4 & 5
    11. Do this for a further 4 targets until you have shot at all 6 targets.
    12. Total of 12 rounds

300 yards.
    1. Two sighting shots
    2. First target appears
    3. You have 10 seconds to fire two rounds.
    4. One shot at the head
    5. One shot at the heart
    6. Target will be removed after 10 seconds.
    7. Points will be awarded for hitting the kill zone
    8. Points will be deducted for missing (IOW stomach, ass, etc hits)
    9. Second target appears.
    10. Repeat steps 4 & 5
    11. Do this for a further 4 targets until you have shot at all 6 targets.
    12. Total of 12 rounds

There will be a short prize ceremony for the winners of each distance and an overall prize for the highest aggregate score.

500 yard (free fun shoot)

Now some people, actually quite a lot, were concerned with the longer distances. Would their rifles be able, was it part of the comp, do they need to shoot it, etc. So the range has decided to "do away with" the competition aspect of the longer shoots and make one 500 yard fun shoot.

All you need to do is, upon arrival at the clubhouse and after showing your insurance/licenses, sign up to the shoot to show your interest in taking part. After the award ceremony anyone wishing to shoot in the 500 yard distance will be brought out, free of charge, and given the opportunity to shoot at a target of their choice at 500 yards. It will be an animal target, so you get to decide which one you want to shoot at. A "vote" will take place before heading out and the favorite target will be used.

Blow off shots will be given, and some help if you need it.

If all goes well another, larger shoot will be organised later in the year, and before the annual Christmas shoot.

Clay Pigeon Shooting

Over the last couple of weeks the MNSCI has begun to re-develop it's clay pigeon set up. New bases/stations have been poured and traps set up. While it's still a work in progress there is clay pigeon shooting every Sunday from 14:30 onwards.

So if you finish the Safari shoot above and fancy some clays after, bring your shotgun on Sunday.

Safety Notice.

Although this is a bit of craic and a fun shoot safety needs to be maintained when on the range. While most will be familiar with range protocols some may not be, so this is a quick guide to some basic rules when on the range.
    • Follow the instructions of the ROs (Range Officers) at all times. If unclear on a command raise your hand and ask for it to be repeated.
    • Always have ear protection. Even when not firing.
    • Bring insurance and licenses with you.
    • Guns must ALWAYS be cased when not in use.
    • No cleaning, maintenance or handling of any firearm behind the firing points or anywhere that is not designated as a safety/cleaning area. Ask an RO if unsure where these areas are.
    • Breach flags are necessary, but for those without them, bolt/magazine removal will be necessary.
    • Only load and fire when given the command to do so by an RO.
    • Any misfires should be left in the chamber for a minimum of 1 minute to avoid a hangfire situation. If such a case raise your hand and inform the RO of any misifres.
    • Stick to designated "spectator" areas when not shooting, and only travel to and from the clubhouse along the approved road/path, and only when instructed that it is safe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭f100zardoz

What time does the shoot start? How much to enter?

There is a lot of info above so to summarise:
    • Sunday 3rd August.
    • First detail at 11am. Registration from 9am onward.
    • Entrance fee is €20 to cover 100, 300 yard comp.
    • 500 yard shoot is free.
    • 28 rounds in total are needed.
    • Any caliber, any sights
    • Open comp, so all are welcome

You can also shoot two different calibers if you like. One at 100 and another at 300, then another again at 500. However you want.

• Advertisement

For anyone that has not been to the MNSCI range. Here are directions and a local map:

From Tullamore head out the N52 towards Blueball/Kilcormac

MNSCI-Location-large.gif

When you reach the Blueball petrol station/restaurant on your left, turn right at the junction.

Head down the road, (ignore the right turn, and keep left on the main road) and on out for another few miles until you see the sign on your right.

If coming from Kilcormac direction the same direction hols true from the blueball, just head from Kilcormac to Tullamore and turn LEFT at the blueball. Then follow the directions previously mentioned.

f100zardoz wrote: »
    What time does the shoot start? How much to enter?

There is no obligation to take part if you don't want to. You are more than welcome to come on down, and have a look around. Bring the guns just in case. :D

It'll be a busy day, but myself or one of the lads/ROs will give you the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fabwing

There is no obligation to take part if you don't want to. You are more than welcome to come on down, and have a look around. Bring the guns just in case. :D

It'll be a busy day, but myself or one of the lads/ROs will give you the tour.

Would it be ok to shoot the 100 as i have not yet shot to 300, i dont think my scope is up to the job or maybe its just me. 243 tikka

I'll make a call and ask if people can do one distance only.

Out of interest what scope do you have? The caliber is fine and will easily reach the distance. You'll need between 12 - 20 clicks (maximum) to reach from 100 yards to 300 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fabwing

I'll make a call and ask if people can do one distance only.

Out of interest what scope do you have? The caliber is fine and will easily reach the distance. You'll need between 12 - 20 clicks (maximum) to reach from 100 yards to 300 yards.

Hi, the scope is a smidt and bender 8x56 classic,the reticle is very thick hard to see at 300yrds but beggers cant be choosers.
    Thanks for info

Raging I'll be missing this. I think Ireland is crying out for regular competitions like this, maybe once every month or 2 months.

I'd imagine it would have a higher participation than f-class if it got off the ground as it wouldn't cost as much to get set up for or to be competitive in.

Absolutely.

There are plans to run these on a regular basis. The issue for the last while has been getting the windmill range up and running, but along with the clay range this has been happening over the last few weeks. Before this they had to be run on the Creedmoor range, but with F-Class shooting on nearly every week (comp, training, etc), Hcaps, other associations using the range, etc. it was hard to schedule a free weekend.

As you said it's the kind of shooting that any lad, with any rifle and ammo can take part in. Some comps will bee big other small. I mean we all have families, jobs and other obligations but there are plans to hold another later in the year (possibly October) and then another in early December (Christmas shoot).

Absolutely.

There are plans to run these on a regular basis. The issue for the last while has been getting the windmill range up and running, but along with the clay range this has been happening over the last few weeks. Before this they had to be run on the Creedmoor range, but with F-Class shooting on nearly every week (comp, training, etc), Hcaps, other associations using the range, etc. it was hard to schedule a free weekend.

As you said it's the kind of shooting that any lad, with any rifle and ammo can take part in. Some comps will bee big other small. I mean we all have families, jobs and other obligations but there are plans to hold another later in the year (possibly October) and then another in early December (Christmas shoot).

That's good to hear, I do think a league in the months between February and August would be a good idea. There is a fair amount of lads getting rifles built for deer shooting/informal long range and a league like this would be perfect for them.

The thing would be to let the lads at the range know this.

If they know that there is a continuous interest in more shoots or even a league then they would be more inclined to host them. Having the same one or two asking simply doesn't indicate enough interest to invest in running such a league.

It doesn't require a commitment from lads to attend all shoots, but with enough asking. Well you know the old expression of "Build it and they will come", well try "ask for it, and they will build it, then they will come". :D

• Advertisement

Might be able to get up to this, can we view the targets before we go up?

Advertisement