Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airport duty free buying: how does it work?

• 27-07-2014 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭

Person flying DUB - LHR - LAX

On a coach tour for 2 weeks.

Return LAX - LHR - DUB.

Thinking of buying whiskey.

Are you allowed to buy in both DUB and/or LHR on the way to USA?

Same on way back - allowed to buy in LAX and LHR?

Buying on way back seems better as you don't have to carry around one or two 70cl bottles........

So the best idea would be to browse the DUB, LHR and LAX airport websites for deals / prices??

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Use the shop and collect service from dublin?

Assuming you can buy duty free in dublin when you can show you're travelling out of the Eu?

Although someone will need to clarify that

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Every time they cross into the EU or USA from outside, they may have 1 litre of whiskey on them. So yes, they can buy in Dublin and/or Heathrow, but the allowance going into the US is still one litre: they can't accumulate extra allowances. On the way back they can have a litre on them arriving in Heathrow. They can buy nine more litres at Heathrow for the last leg, but they won't be able to buy them duty free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thanks.

So can buy in Dub or LHR, but limited to 1 litre entering USA, okay.

And as won't be consuming the product during the trip, can only buy 1 litre overall to bring back to RoI.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭lord lucan

G rock wrote: »
    Use the shop and collect service from dublin?

Assuming you can buy duty free in dublin when you can show you're travelling out of the Eu?

Although someone will need to clarify that

You can't use that service when flying outside the EU, the goods have to leave the country with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Just watch the transfer at LHR. Some connections will require you to go through security again at LHR, where they will confiscate your booze. I've seen it happen!

• Advertisement

Just watch the transfer at LHR. Some connections will require you to go through security again at LHR, where they will confiscate your booze. I've seen it happen!

If bought in Dublin Airport the goods will be placed in sealed security bag(STEB) which will enable them to carry the liquids through to their final destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

lord lucan wrote: »
    If bought in Dublin Airport the goods will be placed in sealed security bag(STEB) which will enable them to carry the liquids through to their final destination.

Not sure about the way out, but coming back from the States, I've seen booze - in sealed bags from US duty free - being confiscated at connection security check in LHR (under the no liquids greater than 100ml rule). This was Terminal 3 -> Terminal 1 IIRC. Ridiculous given that the passengers hadn't mixed with unscreened people. Been a couple of years now, so maybe it's changed.

Not sure about the way out, but coming back from the States, I've seen booze - in sealed bags from US duty free - being confiscated at connection security check in LHR (under the no liquids greater than 100ml rule). This was Terminal 3 -> Terminal 1 IIRC. Ridiculous given that the passengers hadn't mixed with unscreened people. Been a couple of years now, so maybe it's changed.

New rules came in regarding STEBS at the end of January, shouldn't be any problems now bringing stuff home.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, compared to the cost of your trip, is it really worth the hassle lugging a heavy bottle through an airport just to save a few euros?

I remember in the days of duty-free between the UK and Ireland, a lady in the office used to ask me to bring back a litre of Smirnoff Blue every time I travelled to the UK on business and that was before the plastic bottles, boy was I glad when they abolished duty-free!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, compared to the cost of your trip, is it really worth the hassle lugging a heavy bottle through an airport just to save a few euros?
    The savings might help offset at least some of the cost of the expensive flight.

I remember bringing back about 5 or 6 litres of bacardi oro on the way back from germany, it was not duty free but I think it was still just €11.

700ml is €27 in drinkstore, at that rate 6L is €231 vs €66. I often pick up litre bottles of flavoured vodka, its handy as a standby present.

Think I still have a bottle somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You will not be able to bring liquids in excess of 100ml purchased in LAX through LHR to DUB in your hand luggage.

Advertisement