Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Immersion element.

• 27-12-2013 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi everyone. I was just wondering does an immersion element go gradually or does it just give up instantly? The immersion is only heating the water to a Luke warm temp at the minute. I bypassed the thermostat to rule that out but made no difference.. Please could a mod move to relevant section as I couldn't figure it out..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A home immersion is a 'gadget'? This would be better in the Electrical forum where a sparks might give you the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

It will initially go slowly but will eventually blow out. If it is that bad you will notice the trip switch going every time you turn it on, as the water shorts the circuit.

I have seen a few that look like a firecracker was placed in them.

Cheap and easy to replace but requires a very specific wrench to get at them so best off getting a plumber in with the right tools

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bennybongo87

coylemj wrote: »
    A home immersion is a 'gadget'? This would be better in the Electrical forum where a sparks might give you the answer.

If you read my post you will notice I asked a mod to move it as I couldn't find relevant section

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bennybongo87

muletide wrote: »
    It will initially go slowly but will eventually blow out. If it is that bad you will notice the trip switch going every time you turn it on, as the water shorts the circuit.

I have seen a few that look like a firecracker was placed in them.

Cheap and easy to replace but requires a very specific wrench to get at them so best off getting a plumber in with the right tools
    Thanks for your constructive reply. There is three live cables going to immersion. I take it there's three elements. One neutral and one earth.. It's a 6kw immersion so I take it it's 3x 2kw in one unit. Continuity is 30ohms through 2 elements and 9k ohms through the third. Would it be correct to say one element is banjaxed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Impossible to tell without having a look at it.

My advise as earlier is to get it replaced - not an expensive job and at least you will have the peace of mind of knowing you are not going to wake up someday with no hot water at all.

Should take a competent plumber under an hour incl. draining. Part should be available from €40 upwards depending on make and model. Total cost approx €100 - €120

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just came across this in Gadgets, OP.

Mods - do what you will with this. :)

Advertisement