Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

change machines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

roast wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds counting change therapeutic? :pac:

No! I like to pretend I'm Scrooge McDuck and all those pennies are little gold coins...the simple pleasures in life...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Nope!

For those who like the change machines, ill count your monies for only 5% ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

The Snipe wrote: »
    Nope!

For those who like the change machines, ill count your monies for only 5% ;)

seems legit... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

xsiborg wrote: »
    the bank won't take it any more snipe unless it's bagged in proper little money bags, eg- €10 in 20c, €1 in 1c, etc, and even then, they'll only lodge it directly to your account... been there, tried that... :(

Actually if your with BOI all they ask is your a/c no and they will exchange it for you I just have done this a week ago and no problems :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

I enjoy handing 17 ten cent coins to bus drivers.

(see Limerick Bus Thread)

It gets rid of my small change and its a nice little unhealthy passive aggressive form of revenge. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Counted mine out while watching two episodes of the wire the other day. Ulster Bank bags are crap compared to BOI ones, so beware. i quite enjoy counting my money, but i had to disinfect the table after, my hands and it were covered in black sticky crap><

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

dibkins wrote: »
    Counted mine out while watching two episodes of the wire the other day. Ulster Bank bags are crap compared to BOI ones, so beware. i quite enjoy counting my money, but i had to disinfect the table after, my hands and it were covered in black sticky crap><
    I always do it on a towel and wear latex gloves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If you sat down for an hour too, you could count it all, and then bring it to the bank and keep it all! Its what I'd much rather do then lose about 10%.

the hell with that, smelling like copper, losing count and then having the bank teller look like you just arrived and punched their grandmother in the throat when you ask them to change it, banks converting money? are you mad?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

im just out of spar there on henry street across from jury's inn, and they have a new coin counter machine in there. my eyes nearly popped when i saw the rate they were charging- 12% :eek:

wont be throwing a whole lot of change into that machine! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

xsiborg wrote: »
    im just out of spar there on henry street across from jury's inn, and they have a new coin counter machine in there. my eyes nearly popped when i saw the rate they were charging- 12% :eek:

wont be throwing a whole lot of change into that machine! :rolleyes:

Ah thats Gleesons Spar. If u go to the smaller Spar beside Wille Sextons pub or Corner Flag its only 8.5%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

MarkR wrote: »
    As above, spend it in the self service machines. They are quite common now. Tesco, Supervalu, and B&Q all have them in Limerick.

Just start bringing sandwich bags full of change with you.

. And the tunnel.

Yea but the tunnel dont take coppers.that drives me insane.its legal tender ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

I always do it on a towel and wear latex gloves :)
    Too much info man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭GedR

There's one in Tesco coonagh. I think it's 10%. I've used it loadsa times.

And do these machines give out notes or is it vouchers for the supermarket its located in?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

GedR wrote: »
    And do these machines give out notes or is it vouchers for the supermarket its located in?

It gives you a receipt that you bring either to the service desk or one of the tills.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I used one today in Tesco Navan it's 9.9%

Been throwing 1,2,5, 10, 20 & 50 cents into a jar for about a month, had 68euro so happy with that.

After commission i ended up with 61.xx, it spews out a reciept, take it to checkout and get cash, but we used it towards our shop

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fleminska

Anyone know any change machines in limerick?? and at what rates they charging?! or any other ideas of getting rid of A LOAD of change! lol

Hey wanted to bump this cos I'm looking for one of those machines- used to use the one on the spar in Castletroy but it's closed down. Anyone know where there is one???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

fleminska wrote: »
    Hey wanted to bump this cos I'm looking for one of those machines- used to use the one on the spar in Castletroy but it's closed down. Anyone know where there is one???

Think I saw one in Chawkes

Big new machine gone in near the self checkout in Tesco crescent. Dunno what the commission is. Small amounts would be best put through the self checkouts themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

fleminska wrote: »

only working one i found recently was in the spar(?) near the southcourt hotel in Raheen. That was about 3 weeks ago i think

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I saw 1 being installed in the Crescent last week, there's also still one in Tesco Coonagh

• Advertisement

vkid wrote: »
    only working one i found recently was in the spar(?) near the southcourt hotel in Raheen. That was about 3 weeks ago i think
    Centra. That can be hit or miss. Well they are all hit or miss. Kinda murphys law - you pass them 10 times and they are working, the day you need it it's out of order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Clareman wrote: »
    I saw 1 being installed in the Crescent last week, there's also still one in Tesco Coonagh

The one in Coonagh never seems to be working..and at one stage I was told I could only get Tesco credit for it (which i think is a load of nonsense)

There's one in a petrol station on the Dock Road as well, which never seems to be working either.

(I hoard a lot of change so look for these fairly regularly :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

SuperValu in Grove Island has one, usually working too

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

I've always used the Tesco Roxboro change machine ... most recently just last week. Go into the store and take a tight left - up to the end behind the last checkout.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

vkid wrote: »
    The one in Coonagh never seems to be working..and at one stage I was told I could only get Tesco credit for it (which i think is a load of nonsense)

There's one in a petrol station on the Dock Road as well, which never seems to be working either.

(I hoard a lot of change so look for these fairly regularly :D)

I only ever got the Tesco voucher through it, I only used it the once as well, I tend to spend my change when I get it, nothing better than being the only person in a shop and getting rid of a load of change rather than breaking a note :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Why dont you bring it to the bank??

Queues in banks as well as they fact they won't always allow you get notes back in exchange (might have to be deposited) and they might charge a higher commission rate, although 9.9% is fairly high.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mnstlj

from what i know the bank wont charge if you have a bank account with them .at least BoI dont ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭banie01

mnstlj wrote: »
    from what i know the bank wont charge if you have a bank account with them .at least BoI dont ...

Neither do UlsterBank or A.I.B if you have an account but the queuing can be a pain.
    I usually bag up my change(With help from the young fella to teach him some counting\cash handling skills ;) ) and just lodge it to an account, easiest way and avoids commission too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

supervalu in castleconnell have one in abot 2weeks now

Advertisement