Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual assault...but sure he's a nice lad..Mod Warning Post 275

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I don't know that it's a case of fighting you off, I couldn't fight off a man if he was determined to assault me drunk or sober but if you're very drunk then sometimes you can't even get up off the ground and walk away. You can't stop someone picking you up, you can't move your arms properly to stop them taking off your clothes. So how do you prove you didn't want it? How do you show the (possibly also drunk man) that you want them to stop? I do think people (including my stupid self) should take a really hard look at how drunk they let themselves get because when it gets to the point that you can't even protest properly or move your limbs enough to physically show you don't want this, please stop then you're pretty f*cked

If you're actually serious about it, head over to here and look up the various clubs in your area. Even a hand full of self defense classes will dramatically improve your ability to walk away or avoid situations to begin with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ah but a good kick in the balls knocks even the biggest man down!
    eh no. Unlike boston, I weigh feck all and have the comparative male strength of a dormouse, but there are few enough women I couldnt overpower. Pretty quickly too. If one got me in the family jewels it would likely enrage me more. It has on the rare occasions when a bloke did it in a fight.

I would advise women to take up bostons advice and look to self defence classes. Great for confidence and fitness too. Indeed if I had my way I would even put them on the curriculum of every girls school. This notion that I could handle myself is very high among people never mind women in particular.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

For anyone trying to understand why 50 odd people would shake his hand:
    A) They feel they know him, they've probably known him all their lives, and they believed his version of events.
    Over the CCTV footage?
    B) Unlike you, they've heard his version of events and many of them where with him that night
    Unless they were out beside the skip with him, they don't really know what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

For once the Church reacts promptly and correctly

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1218/listowel.html

The priest who provided a character reference for a convicted sex offender in Kerry has withdrawn from his parish work, following a meeting with the Bishop of Kerry, Dr Bill Murphy.

Fr Seán Sheehy was criticised by the Kerry Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre after he described 35-year old Danny Foley in court as having the height of respect for women.

Fr Sheehy also queued to embrace and shake hands with Mr Foley minutes before the sentencing hearing in which he was sentenced to five years in jail for sexually assaulted a 22-year-old woman.

Yesterday Bishop Murphy said he wished to disassociate himself from the statements and actions of Fr Sheehy.

Bishop Murphy and Fr Sheehy met this morning and a statement from the Diocese of Kerry says Fr Sheehy offered to withdraw from his work in the parish of Castlegregory 'in view of recent events'.

The statement says Dr Murphy accepted the offer and it will take effect immediately.

A statement from the Bishop of Kerry read 'This morning Fr Seán Sheehy and Bishop Bill Murphy met. In view of recent events Fr. Seán Sheehy offered to withdraw from his work in the parish of Castlegregory.

The Bishop of Kerry accepted his offer which takes effect from today, Friday 18 December.

Fr Seán Sheehy, having retired from an American Diocese, was substituting for the Parish Priest of Castlegregory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Does that mean he's being moved somewhere else? Sounds a bit familiar to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,037 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Have read the opening post myself and have to say that it really is sad in all areas.

But what annoyed me quite a lot was what the Priest I have to say. Now before anyone says it I do think there great people the priests and I feel so sorry for majority who have been caught up in the scandals within the church.

But what he said was disgrace. This woman was assaulted for god sake I dont care how nice a person is that is not part of any moral society in any shape or form. A man has no right to abuse his strength like that and he deserved life for what he did.

Also I wonder would these people have shook hands with this vile man if he did it too one of there daughters, sisters or relations? I doubt it somehow.

This comes to another point there too many goody good people in this country have sympathy for killers, assualts etc and having pity for the poor lads as they say.

Remember back home about ten years ago and young guy beat up an old man and took his money was serious case at time and there was people who still had sympathy for young man. Lucky enough the court took justice but seriously shocked me at time that people were more concerned about state of young lad then the brutal assualt on the old defenseless man.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

adrian280582 infracted and post edited.

We cannot make the warnings any more clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭miseeire

This priest is obviously a man not fit to wear the collar.It might prove interesting to investigate his history as a priest.There are still many good priests and I am sure they would be mortified with the behaviour of this individual.Yes,it would be very interesting to see if he had "history"in the U.S.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

NameMe wrote: »
    Are you serious??

you have decided to leave the Church because a priest shook hands with a convicted sex offender.

To be honest, I think there are things that I find a hell of a lot more unacceptable than this with regard to the Catholic Church but each to their own.

Ever heard of the saying 'the straw that broke the camel's back?'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

It reminds me of the Lavinia Kerwick story in Kilkenny where yer man admitted he raped her and still walked free.

Wonder how she is doing now. She was a very brave girl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Maybe I'm missing something, but why were people shaking hands and stuff with yer man? I mean he assaulted that girl, why would anyone support someone who did that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

In a quasi-Caste system this scumbag probably has status and respectability and the victim does not. These inbred hick scum who sympathised with this low-life need some retribution and I would love to dish it out. Anyone who says that "you dont know the full story" and such like is a dirtbag sex offender-sympathiser and is no better than dirtbag Danny.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

In a quasi-Caste system this scumbag probably has status and respectability and the victim does not.

The thing is though, this guy was a bouncer. Not a doctor, lawyer, other pillar of society, but a bouncer. Now no offense to anyone who is/was a bouncer but it's hardly a job held in high respect by most people. And it is a job which often attracts people who enjoy the perks of the job, which include having all the local young women be nice and flirty with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Maybe he helped old women cross the street and gave half his wages to Concern every week, that's why people like him and refuse to accept what he did. Doesn't make a blind bit of difference really.

It was only 50 people like. You could make that up in relatives, friends and work colleagues who all think he's a sound bloke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Possibly the fact that he has got to be 35 ( right?) with no other conviction, or rumour, in small town makes him seem unlikely to seem like a sexual predator to those who know him.

In this case however, the CCTV footage seems damning.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,537 ✭✭✭✭walshb

For anyone trying to understand why 50 odd people would shake his hand:
    A) They feel they know him, they've probably known him all their lives, and they believed his version of events.

B) Unlike you, they've heard his version of events and many of them where with him that night

Ironically all these claims of close minded country folk sound very close minded to me...

Once again, I do not know him or anything about this case. Im not defending him. It certainly seems to me that justice was done and he belongs in jail

Lets assume the 50 genuinely believe he is innocent, okay.

Did they have to be so very public about it? It showed nothing but contempt
    for that girl. As much as they may have believed in Foley, to go about it the way
    they did was despicable, and unforgivable.

BTW, I know well you are not excusing this attack.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

In all of this, the person whose behavior I least understand is his fiancee.

To a certain extent, I can appreciate that his friends and family simply can't accept that he has been found guilty of a sexual offense - I would find it hard as well. But his original story was that he found the victim out by the skip before CCTV footage forced him to change it to partaking in consensual activity. And his fiancee is out there defending him by stressing that the sexual encounter was consensual??

The ability for the human mind to distort reality in avoidance of an uncomfortable truth always amazes me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I can't access any of the interviews on the radio stations. :( Anyone have any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

taconnol wrote: »
    To a certain extent, I can appreciate that his friends and family simply can't accept that he has been found guilty of a sexual offense - I would find it hard as well. But his original story was that he found the victim out by the skip before CCTV footage forced him to change it to partaking in consensual activity. And his fiancee is out there defending him by stressing that the sexual encounter was consensual??

She was not with him then so she wouldn't have been cheated on. Maybe she's just into lads who like to rough their consensual partner up behind a skip first. He's found his match then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

eth0_ wrote: »
    If anything comes of this - and i'm not for one minute suggesting the victim was 'asking for it' or 'deserved' to be attacked - hopefully it will shock a lot of women into NOT drinking themselves into such a state that they could find themselves in such a situation, incapable of fighting off their attacker or calling for help.

It sounds as if the victim drank herself into a stupor on the night, and the outcome could have been very different if she'd known her own limits.

No, if anything comes of this, it will show some small 'close-knit' communities that the rest of nation find the actions which condone backslappery of the perpetrator and the shunning of the (however drunk, sluttish etc :rolleyes:..) victim to be nothing short of disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

Danny Foley's friend has a page on Facebook. Had a quick look, a very threatening looking guy, going by his picture and his posts. He's made threats to anyone who goes near his family, and referred to the girl in the case as a 'slag'. His favourite pick up line is 'Would you like a black russian'. Very intimidating stuff. I reported the page.
    This might be an insight into why the gardaí allowed all those people to sympathise with Foley in the court.....if this one friend is anything to go by, I'd imagine the gardaí wouldn't want them to get all riled up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭listowel1

As you can see from my profile, you can guess where im from!!
    Firstly i do not personally know either of the two people involved in this case..however once I saw the image of the man sentenced today i recognised him straight away.I saw him workin about two weeks ago and i must complement his employer who spoke about him in a paper today, this bouncer anytime i saw him workin was alovely fella.in fact i have talked to him many times while i was in a drunken state, an i can guarantee you he is not the man i am reading about here or in national newspapers!
    But he has been convicted for this serious crime, so he has to pay his penalty. However i have suspicions that there is more to this story than we are led to believe.Because why would roughly 50 people go into a courtroom in tralee and shake this mans hand unless they know something we dont! Also its being reported that everyone in listowel knows this womans name, well i for one dont know who she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

listowel1 wrote: »
    Firstly i do not personally know either of the two people involved in this case..however once I saw the image of the man sentenced today i recognised him straight away.I saw him workin about two weeks ago and i must complement his employer who spoke about him in a paper today, this bouncer anytime i saw him workin was alovely fella.in fact i have talked to him many times while i was in a drunken state, an i can guarantee you he is not the man i am reading about here or in national newspapers!
    But he has been convicted for this serious crime, so he has to pay his penalty. However i have suspicions that there is more to this story than we are led to believe.Because why would roughly 50 people go into a courtroom in tralee and shake this mans hand unless they know something we dont! Also its being reported that everyone in listowel knows this womans name, well i for one dont know who she is.

But you don't know him or her? You've seen him or may have said hi to him, nodded at him?

My employer knows me well too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

And how do you think the girl felt as 50 people went up to shake the hand of the lovely fella who assaulted her?

I don't think we will be tolerating many more posts protesting his innocence in this thread. That is not what this thread is for. He was convicted of a sexual assault, with evidence, including cctv footage.
    And his victim was made to feel like a villain. Great he was sentenced, but I think the behaviour of his followers may discourage other women in similar circumstances to come forward. This is the focus of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭_michelle_

how can you guarantee us this when you clearly state you dont know the man??
    exactly you have suspicions NOT the jury that convicted him of this terrible crime!
    what exactly could they know that the court didint?? NOTHING so whey are you trying to cast doubt against the lady who this happened to?
    as to why 50+ people would go in the court & shake his hand well what can i say we have some VERY backward, uneducated idiots that will just follow anyones lead.

_michelle_ wrote: »
    how can you guarantee us this when you clearly state you dont know the man??
    exactly you have suspicions NOT the jury that convicted him of this terrible crime!
    what exactly could they know that the court didint?? NOTHING so whey are you trying to cast doubt against the lady who this happened to?
    as to why 50+ people would go in the court & shake his hand well what can i say we have some VERY backward, uneducated idiots that will just follow anyones lead.

Its the "there is something about that wan" defence.

Notice how it is never virginal, whiter than white, pure from immoral thoughts with chastity belt women, who get assaulted! Never. Its always the low morals, easy, slutty types!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭oceanclub

this bouncer anytime i saw him workin was alovely fella.in fact i have talked to him many times while i was in a drunken state.

Are you a woman?

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

K-9 wrote: »
    Its the "there is something about that wan" defence.

Notice how it is never virginal, whiter than white, pure from immoral thoughts with chastity belt women, who get assaulted! Never. Its always the low morals, easy, slutty types!

Wow. That is way outta line. Not to mention complete and utter rubbish. I can't believe there are people who actually think like that.

Novella wrote: »
    Wow. That is way outta line. Not to mention complete and utter rubbish. I can't believe there are people who actually think like that.

Why?

Before you answer think why you answered the way you did.

Then think the complete reverse of what you read into it.

But, think again why you reacted the way you did.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Why?

Before you answer think why you answered the way you did.

Then think the complete reverse of what you read into it.

But, think again why you reacted the way you did.

No, if you are trying to make some sort of point here, I'd come out and say it.

Advertisement