Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Satellite Freeview Install West Cork

Options
  • 28-11-2005 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anybody recommend a good freeview installer in the west cork area.

There are lots of people who install sky systems around the area. Would one of these guys typically have the knowledge for a freeview installation.

I rang one sky installer and he said he hadn't done freeview before but he was "willing to give it a lash" !!! . He didn't exactly inspire confidence.

Any suggestions.

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

he points the same size dish at the same sat and uses the same cable . He needs to supply you witha different box beside the TV , thats all.

Freeview packages in Galway are now €250 all in .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Beware of mixing the terms.

"Freeview" is almost always associated with Digitital Terrestrial TV in the UK. Its the brandname as such, and, as its done through an aerial, it is impossible to install in West Cork.

What you are looking for is either

a) a free-to-air satellite receiver install, or a Sky Digibox with no card, where you want only the FTA channels such as BBC, ITV

or

b) an old Sky digibox with a "Freesat (from Sky)" or FTV card from the UK, which will allow you to watch the above but also Channel 4, five and Sky Three.

So, which is it, and then we can tell you what you need to tell the installer, so as not to confuse him.

:)

West Cork is not on the Border DMC so I'd say it can mean one thing only down there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 47 tommee

in the Bandon area Liam on 087 6795896 can do the job.
    he is my neighbour and was up on my roof fixing a dish on hotbird.
    he is very familiar with the free to view satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

Thanks for the info,

I didn't realise that there was little technical difference between a sky installation and a free to air installation.

Thanks for the contact number tommee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Cork and Galway dont seem to be represented in the retailer sticky so if you can recommend guys in these areas it would be great to post them in there.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Sponge Bob wrote:
    he points the same size dish at the same sat and uses the same cable . He needs to supply you witha different box beside the TV , thats all.

Freeview packages in Galway are now €250 all in .

thats a decent price, what box do they supply with that?

Sponge Bob wrote:
    West Cork is not on the Border DMC so I'd say it can mean one thing only down there :p

Indeed, but for clarity here, we need to make clear the terms. Freeview, as a by-word should only remain in the domain of DTT.

And any satellite installer worth his salt should know what FTA is.

DMC wrote:
    Indeed, but for clarity here, we need to make clear the terms. Freeview, as a by-word should only remain in the domain of DTT.

And any satellite installer worth his salt should know what FTA is.

And any mod under such damanble pressure should really really do what Tony said about that sticky , I vote you call it the FREE SATELLITE GUIDE :p . One sticky pointing to the ICDG/ICDG forum in which there are a number of stickies .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Free To Air is even simpler that Sky Digital, no viewing card to initialise and no phone line needed :)

I'd go for a bigger dish than Sky installs. though. 80cm minimum. Then if you add a motor later you will get about 19 satellites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

watty wrote:
    Free To Air is even simpler that Sky Digital, no viewing card to initialise and no phone line needed :)

I'd go for a bigger dish than Sky installs. though. 80cm minimum. Then if you add a motor later you will get about 19 satellites.
    You wouldn't even necessarily need to have a motor - get a dual LNB holder focused on Astra 1 & 2 satellites seperatly and you greatly increase your choice. A triple one featuring the Hotbird satellites also becomes possible. Of course, you'll need a non-Sky Free-to-air receiver for this - the Sky Digibox will be nowhere near capable for achieving the above!:D

On the pendanic point of "Freeview", what counts as Freeview in Munster can be different in other parts of even the Republic where the real Freeview service is possible to get. Hopefully the BBC & ITV brand name for a free-to-air satellite service will allow this confusion to disappear (the provisional name is "Freesat").

I hope so, I get at least one email a week from someone who has bought a freeview box and wants to connect a dish to it.

To Sponge Bob: can you anwer my earlier question please

On the pendanic point of "Freeview", what counts as Freeview in Munster can be different in other parts of even the Republic where the real Freeview service is possible to get. Hopefully the BBC & ITV brand name for a free-to-air satellite service will allow this confusion to disappear (the provisional name is "Freesat").

Sponge Bob wrote:
    And any mod under such damanble pressure should really really do what Tony said about that sticky , I vote you call it the FREE SATELLITE GUIDE :p . One sticky pointing to the ICDG/ICDG forum in which there are a number of stickies .

I take that as a response to my call for volunteers? Excellent. :D

Tony wrote:
    To Sponge Bob: can you anwer my earlier question please

Re O Connor TV

Sorry Tony , its a Strong FTA Receiver , dunno the model.

Install lead time is presently 2 weeks not surprisingly in my opinion , their number is 091760000 if one wanted one before the price (probably) goes up or for christmas .

For €250 its not the daftest pressie you could get for someone in Galway ...especially if you do not have a ladder yerself :p

and Yes DMC , I have backed myself into an editors chair for a night next week. Give me a task or two to prepare for stickyification for ya :(

Thanks, probably the strong 4012 which is an excellent receiver just no RF output. Good deal at this price IMO.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Re O Connor TV

Sorry Tony , its a Strong FTA Receiver , dunno the model.

Install lead time is presently 2 weeks not surprisingly in my opinion , their number is 091760000 if one wanted one before the price (probably) goes up or for christmas .

For €250 its not the daftest pressie you could get for someone in Galway ...especially if you do not have a ladder yerself :p

and Yes DMC , I have backed myself into an editors chair for a night next week. Give me a task or two to prepare for stickyification for ya :(

Advertisement