Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media PC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭40coats

try this to see if your decoder is being recognised as MCE compatable.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=DE1491AC-0AB6-4990-943D-627E6ADE9FCB&displaylang=en
    If it is it may be worth taking of all decoders and then installing the nvidia one before any others, this has been known to fix similar issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭statto

Have tried a clean install with just the nvidia decoder - will try the decoder checker on your link.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Have you tried searching thegreenbuttom.com forums? There are a coupla threads on there about PVR500 MCE isses.

It may just be a case of waiting until the drivers stabilise.

Success! Found a link on thegreenbutton the pointed to my ATI GFX card drivers. Went to ati.com and downloaded ATI MCE drivers for my card. Hey Presto! MCE works. Next step is to get the EPG working. One question can you fine-tune the TV stations in MCE. I great quality using Dsclar but it's a bit poor in MCE - I think that it might need fine-tuning.

Thanks for all you help.

Cheers

No, you can't fine tune in MCE as is, but if you're planning on using the smartguide epg discussed in this thread you have to input the frequencies manually so this will allow you to get the best possible reception. When Ireland becomes an official MCE country the built in tuning experience will become a lot better.

• Advertisement

Thanks Guys for all your with my Media PC project. Finally got the Smartguide EPG working. Way to complicated, took me hours on Friday night to set it up, then had to re do it on Saturday as MCE lost the settings - still not sure how I managed to get it to work as I was getting lot of errors. Thankfully had an EPG plug-in working for SageTV so was able to reuse some of that configuration which saved me lots of time.

However, not very happy with the quality - lots of interference on Channel 4 and E4 (have read somewhere that ‘noise’ from the PSU can cause this!). Picture quality is good but not great – get better results with Dscaler. The DVD controls are poor – no slider to control playback (like you get in other PC DVD players) also no fast forward or rewind when playing AVI or Dvix videos from the HD.

The real problem is when I hook the PC up to the TV – the results are just poor. Love the EPG and the pausing of live TV but don’t think I can put up with the poor reception of the TV signal. DVD playback quality is good but my el-cheapo Sharp DVD player is much better. Naively, I thought, that I could just load up the software, connect the hardware and would end up with something quite similar to my existing setup – quality TV and DVD play pack with the addition of EPG, PVR and Video jukebox. However, as always, the reality never lives up to the expatiation.

So for the future – the Media PC will go on hold until the LCD TV shows up (maybe next year if the price drops). Until then a lot more research and tweaking to be done (having read avsfourm.com that seems to half the fun for some people). For now I will use my tuner card as a capture card to transfer all my VHS tapes to DVD.

Cheers and thanks for the help and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I'm thinking of trying to setup a media center PC using my current setup.

P4 2.8
    Abit BE7
    768MB DDR Ram
    DVDRW drive
    160GB drive
    9700 pro
    XP pro (will upgrade to Media Center 2005)

Would the above be sufficient if I add a tuner card and Media Centre?

Is the Haupauge 150MCE tv/fm tuner the best all tuner card to get? I presume this can work in tandum with my 9700 pro?

Does Media Center work with sky? Will the EPG on media center work or will I have to use another third party software?

Can you browse the web from media center - viewing on your PC?

Thanks.

Here's a list of compatable components:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/partners/dfw/partnerlisting.mspx
    Looks like you'll be fine to me. Media Center will work with Sky, you'll get an IR blaster with your MCE remote. Again Irish EPG doesn't exist yet so you'll have to either use a hacked one or wait for the official release. As for browsing, you can do anything that you can do on a XP home box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Thanks for the reply 40coats. So would you recommend the Haupauge 150MCE tv/fm tuner or maybe the 250? Or something completely different?

Well I use a 250 and am very happy with it.

• Advertisement

daveg wrote:
    Thanks for the reply 40coats. So would you recommend the Haupauge 150MCE tv/fm tuner or maybe the 250? Or something completely different?

I have 2x PVR250's but I dont think there is much percentage in them over the 150MCE's. Make sure you get the 150MCE edition rather than the normal retail one. They have loads on Ebay.

Two things I will say about your proposed system - it will be fairly noisey for a Media Center PC - expecially with that 9700 in there. Also you will have to do a fresh install of MCE2005 - it wont just upgrade over XPpro.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭soSolid

40coats wrote:
    I built a box and run Media Center 2005 and love it. Only thing it doesn't do that I'd like is PVR stuff as NTL don't have a guide setup for it. I can still record stuff by date and time obviously and pause live tv, but I like the idea of telling it to scan for particular shows and record them all.

You can get fully integrated EPG from XPMCE on NTL Dublin. For analogue, rerun the TV setup, tell it you're in the U.K., on "Cable or Digital Cable", and give it a Belfast post code BT61 7QZ (don't just give it any code), and when it asks what type of service, select Cable line-up for the UK. This will download all EPG data for about 245 channels (everything from Adult Channel to Zee TV, except for TV3 and TNaG). Then it will scan the analogue service to see what channels it finds. Once that's done, you need to assign Guide listings to each channel, i.e. tell it that BBC1 is to be associated with the EPG data for "BBC1 Northern Ireland", and so on for the rest of your channels. If you have a dual-tuner card (or two single-tuner cards), you can watch-one-record-another (or record two at the same time).

If you're an NTL digital person, do the same as above except tell it you have a set top box. Also the MCPC doesn't scan for channels. You have to match the three-digit ntl channel number to the Guide data in a similar fashion to the above.

Anyway, the point is that you can get full guide/EPG data from XPMCE without having to resort to any third-party XML based solutions.

Happy channel surfing!

Are you about this Solid? I tried this before I heard of the smartguide alternative and scanning never picked up all channels and those it did find weren't great reception wise. How long ago did you do this?

40coats wrote:
    Are you about this Solid? I tried this before I heard of the smartguide alternative and scanning never picked up all channels and those it did find weren't great reception wise. How long ago did you do this?

Since Christmas. The only time consuming part is that the channel scan finds the off-air channels also, and you may end up with two or three "guesses" at the correct broadcast frequency. You have to manually decide which "guess" looks best, and disable the others from you channel list. The best way to see which guess is most accurate is to check the teletext, as if the frequency is even slightly off, the text will be cr@p. You only have to do this once, at initial setup, so I think it's worth the effort to end up with the native MCE EPG, which is far better than the NTL digital EPG.

There is a file in the C:\Windows\ehome folder called MCETuningOverrides.xml which does what is says, and overrides any frequencies for known cable/satellite systems with manual frequencies. I messed around with it and it worked fairly well. You still need to set up your guide as being in the U.K. and change one of the <TuningSpaces> entries to look like

<AnalogTVTuningSpace Id="44" UniqueName="Irish Cable" ...

The "44" overrides the known frequencies for the UK and only scans for the specific frequencies in the file. This file only applies to analogue cable/off-air and not digital STBs.

Let me know how you get on and I'll try and help if I can.

daveg wrote:
    XP pro (will upgrade to Media Center 2005)

daveg,

You can't upgrade to MCE 2005 as it is a different product (although based on) XP Pro. You'll need to either buy a pre-built MC PC (from HP, Dell or the like), buy the OEM XP MCE cds, or have an MSDN subscription. The installation checks for some mandatory hardware like an IR receiver for the remote, and the install won't continue without it.

soSolid wrote:
    mandatory hardware like an IR receiver for the remote

Actually it doesnt - it will behave like a normal XP pro installation until you try to start Media Center. Even then you can run it without the remote reciever. I ran mine using keyboard and mouse until my reciever turned up.

However - I would recommend starting off with the full spec of the pc you are aiming for.

ie - 1 or more MCE compatible tuner cards. (eg Hauppage PVR 150MCE)
    Software MPEG 2 DVD decoder (Nvidia dVD decoder or similar)
    Quiet/Fanless MB and GFX cards.

Actually it doesnt - it will behave like a normal XP pro installation until you try to start Media Center. Even then you can run it without the remote reciever. I ran mine using keyboard and mouse until my reciever turned up.

mea culpa, it's not the OS install that looks for the remote, but the media centre setup which starts when you reboot after the main install.
    However - I would recommend starting off with the full spec of the pc you are aiming for.

ie - 1 or more MCE compatible tuner cards. (eg Hauppage PVR 150MCE)
    Software MPEG 2 DVD decoder (Nvidia dVD decoder or similar)
    Quiet/Fanless MB and GFX cards.

You could also try the PVR 500MCE dual-tuner and save yourself a slot.

The recievcer is only mandatory if you use a set top box and therefore need an ir blaster to switch channels. Also from my experience I'd stay away from the pvr500, been playing with them in work and they're a bit hit and miss at the moment.

soSolid wrote:
    mea culpa, it's not the OS install that looks for the remote, but the media centre setup which starts when you reboot after the main install.

Err sorry to keep contradicting you ;) - but my media center was completely set up without the remote reciever and I was never prompted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

ok, I promised I'd report back if I ever got the EPG working for NTL Digital, so here it is:

It's working! :)

Full EPG for all but 3 of the NTL Digital Channels, courtesy of quickguide. Happy days.

• Advertisement

I eventually got around to trying Solids method (going in as a UK machine with a home made overide table). Worked a treat and the searching and filtering works way better. Ta very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

I'm looking at buying one of the Silverstone SST cases from Komplett.ie. Has anyone used one before?

R

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Graham wrote:
    Intel Celeron 2.8
    1024MB Ram
    Shuttle SFF Case
    Hapuuape WinTV PVR350
    37GB 10,000 RPM SATA HDD
    300GB 7,200 RPM SATA HDD
    DVD +/-R DVD Writer
    802.11G USB Wireless Network Adapter
    Windows Media Centre 2005
    Windows Media Centre 2005 Remote Control
    30" Thomson LCD Display
    Yamaha Surround Sound

Can:
    Watch/Pause/Rewind Live TV
    Record TV (including scheduled recordings and record all episodes of this series)
    Play DVD's
    Play CD's
    Play MP3's
    Burn DVD's (video based DVD's created from recorded TV may require re-encoding to play on a normal DVD player)
    Burn CD's
    Create/Watch Photo Albums
    Play streaming media (audio/video)
    Play internet radio
    Schedule recordings from any PC in the house via a web interface (still deciding whether to set this up for access from any internet connection).

Can't:
    Make coffee (although there's a few very neat power adapters that may eventually let me turn on the kettle via the MCE remote control,hmmmmm).
    Record from TV into plain MPEG format (requires an extra step to move from the microsoft specific encoding).

40Coats,
    I've used the hack from the greenbutton to get our EPG working:

Webguide 2 How-To

Let's do SmartGuide on MCE2005

Thanks for the heads-up on the other hacks, although I must admit I don't have many DVD's to rip, yet.

Just a quick question , i dont know wether it has been answered, but where did you get the Windows Media Centre 2005 Remote Control??? Is it a specific remote and adapter for media centre 2005????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Got mine on eBay with the MCE software.

It's apparently a Microsoft branded Philips remote and as far as I know it is specific to media centre. Makes a fair difference to the use of media centre though, I'd definately recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Overclockers.co.uk have em too by the way.

If you are mad like me you can also upgrade to a harmony remote that controls MCE and the rest of your electronics...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

kul thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Thanks for the link 40coats. One less thing for me to worry about when I finally take the plunge. Now if only my NTL digital STB had more outputs instead of a single Scart!!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

i am going to build a media centre PC over the coming days. I use Sky Digital as my main tv source and it only has two scart outputs on it, what way can i connect it to the media centre. Has anybody else out there set it up using Sky Digital

Thanks,
    TCP/IP

Advertisement