Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC down in D15?

• 01-05-2012 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

Can anyone in the area tell me what their UPC connection is like at the moment? Mine has been inconsistent since last night, disconnecting every 2-3 minutes or so.

Just wanna make sure before I ring UPC up if it just me or the area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Tv, broadband, phone or all of the above?

Modem keeps dropping out. Littlepace area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Sorry broadband. Yea, same for me in Tyrrelstown. Resorting to using my 3g connection from my phone..

Yeah danglin' my dongle here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Can anyone in the area tell me what their UPC connection is like at the moment? Mine has been inconsistent since last night, disconnecting every 2-3 minutes or so.

Just wanna make sure before I ring UPC up if it just me or the area.

That happened very recently where I lived. Rang them up, the guy said it was the frequency and "changed" it. Was fine for a day, but then inconsistent again, dropping off every 2/3 minutes. Rang again, got a decent Tech Support guy who recreated network profile. Fixed it, fine since then.

Pain in the hole!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm in Castleknock and we got UPC TV and broadband installed a couple of months ago and to date it's been working perfectly fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Ours was up and down on Sunday evening (Waterville)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭daymobrew

It could be related to the network upgrade to support 100Mb/s.
    Have you seen any UPC vans in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

no problems (touch wood) in portersgate, clonsilla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

You're not alone, but in a different location.... Very bad upc broadband coverage here in rivervalley swords. I'm on 30MB and it's like dial-up and when trying to even watch a live stream like RTE player or Aertv it keeps cutting out constantly, it's like this now a few days so will be contacting them tomorrow.

• Advertisement

daymobrew wrote: »
    It could be related to the network upgrade to support 100Mb/s.
    Have you seen any UPC vans in the area?

Ha yeah........next door.

Was only acting up at that time earlier for about 45 mins.

Haven't seen any vans myself, but I did ring up today and they said that there was nothing wrong with bb in the area, however he did sound like he didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

They're sending someone around on Thursday. I've tried everything on my side.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

No problems in the Carpenterstown Area on the 188.x.x.x ip range

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

god i must be lucky ive had it in almost a year and never had an issue, well apart from an internal dodgy connection that was my own fault and i fixed that myself..
    I think the install in my area is new though and perhaps its all new gear they have for my estate...
    Connection so good that when I go to my brothers house I have to remind my self he has broadband also....

All is well here now. It was only that hour yesterday. We have phone and broadband so lose both when the modem signal drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

What is it with UPC and falling signals? Have they signed up too many people on their network?

Mine constantly keeps on dropping so I have to reboot the modem. I can't wait until my contract is up because I'm getting sick of this sh*t now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Usually when we lose the internet it doesn't effect the phone or TV. But it depends on the problem. Sometimes we've lost everything. But thats not very common. Most of the time its just the internet.

Problems we've had is water in the junction box in the street, the resistance in the box outside being wrong, (as they add more users), and they changed the signal strength from time to time.

We've also had a problem the WiFi router overheating but it was old, and so replaced it. Which fixed that. I thought this was the modem but it wasn't.

It definitely suffers from contention, (too many users) at peak times.

Working for fine for me now for the past hour or so. At first I thought it was the new Thomson routers they are giving out now. I don't know what to believe now!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Meat

Here in Roselawn and I've been having issues for the past month or so. We get phone, broadband and telly off UPC. Different problems have been occuring over the last few weeks, mostly broadband. For a day or two the phone disconnected during calls and plainly didn't work. But the biggest problem has been the internet connection. I've called UPC four times since it's been gone bandy (today it's been grand however). The problems vary from:
    • download speeds being terrible (hovering around a 1mb line performance when we have 100mb);
    • upload speed being separately crap on different days;
    • the modem randomly disconnecting. This could range from every 10 minutes to every few hours regularly;
    • laptops, desktops and Xbox unable to connect to the modem even though all the signal lights seem to be indicating a proper connection;
    • lag from when I'm playing games online (MW3 specifically). Even though a speed test on a laptop will return satisfactory results (d/l, u/l and ping), I'll usually be picked to be host during games (I assume it detects the 100mb connection) but then I'll hear all my mates experiencing lag when I don't. Then in some games where someone else is host, I'll experience random inexplicable lag.
    I also have a mate in Coolmine experiencing similar problems and one near Blanch village too.

From my few calls to UPC, they said my line looks grand from their own tests and they can't really explain where the problem is arising. However, my latest call got through to someone who fiddled around with my router settings (something about hertz, channels, frequencies and radiowaves... hadn't a breeze what she was on about) which looks like it may or may not have fixed some problems. She definitely fixed the problem of the horrendous download speeds but lag issues, random wireless problems and modem resets are still frequent.

Oh, I've also been with UPC for about six months now and it's only been the last month or so that it's been bad.

Have you tried swapping with a different router. Borrow a friends etc.

• Advertisement

Modem offline all of yesterday. Still down this morning.

Service call booked in for tomorrow afternoon. I know they won't sort it from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Continent Simian

There were two UPC vans lurking around a Castleknock estate at 9:30pm on Monday.

No idea what they were doing, but I guess they wouldn't be out at that time if it weren't urgent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

For those having problems, ring UPC and ask for a new Thompson Modem/Router. They are sooo much better that the old modems.

Also, in the Modem config, try changing the Channel being used. If the neighbours are on the same channel, it can cause interference. You can check if this is the issue by directly connecting to the modem rather than using the wireless and see if the issues go.

If the problem persists, and UPC says there is no issue in the area, then ask them to replace everything....the modem, all cables & junctions both inside the house and outside near the gutter etc.

If you are not getting good support or the issue persists for more than 1 week, call and request a ticket to be opened with their Customer Care team. One of their reps will be assigned to look after the case and ensure everything is done as quickly as possible. You may also get credit to your account. You do have to ask for Customer Care to become involved.

For those having problems, ring UPC and ask for a new Thompson Modem/Router. They are sooo much better that the old modems.

Also, in the Modem config, try changing the Channel being used. If the neighbours are on the same channel, it can cause interference. You can check if this is the issue by directly connecting to the modem rather than using the wireless and see if the issues go.

If the problem persists, and UPC says there is no issue in the area, then ask them to replace everything....the modem, all cables & junctions both inside the house and outside near the gutter etc.

If you are not getting good support or the issue persists for more than 1 week, call and request a ticket to be opened with their Customer Care team. One of their reps will be assigned to look after the case and ensure everything is done as quickly as possible. You may also get credit to your account. You do have to ask for Customer Care to become involved.

Router?

I called UPC yesterday to report my fault. I was told there was no fault in the Littlepace area and he booked an engineer callout for tomorrow (waste of time).

Anywho wife called me to say UPC had a fleet outside the house. She went out to speak with them and they said there is a problem in the area, nothing to do with our house hardware :rolleyes:

Up and running now again.

I have gone through all of this before when they launched the phone service. I feel I am a bit of an armchair expert now :D. The worst type of expert.

BostonB wrote: »
    Have you tried swapping with a different router. Borrow a friends etc.

I've never tried that, no. I just assumed that wasn't the problem since some of my mates in the area were experiencing similar problems.

My modem/router is a Thomson too.

Dub XV wrote: »
    Router?

I called UPC yesterday to report my fault. I was told there was no fault in the Littlepace area and he booked an engineer callout for tomorrow (waste of time).

Anywho wife called me to say UPC had a fleet outside the house. She went out to speak with them and they said there is a problem in the area, nothing to do with our house hardware :rolleyes:

Up and running now again.

I have gone through all of this before when they launched the phone service. I feel I am a bit of an armchair expert now :D. The worst type of expert.

Yeah, I meant Router Config. With the Thompson, it's all the same...I forgot :D that the older modems required a separate router.

Meat wrote: »
    I've never tried that, no. I just assumed that wasn't the problem since some of my mates in the area were experiencing similar problems.

My modem/router is a Thomson too.

No Bridge Mode on the Thomson AFAIK, so you can't use a separate router. And so you can't test with a friends router.

They called up to mine today, I wasn't at home as I was in college and my dad let them in to fix the problem. They changed the default router login details without telling what the new details are, joke.

No Bridge Mode on the Thomson AFAIK, so you can't use a separate router. And so you can't test with a friends router.

Can you not just use the Ethernet port? Does it have Ethernet ports?

• Advertisement

My Thomson router has ethernet ports. I'm actually currently hooked up via wire. Was playing on my Xbox when it disconnected to the network. Check the modem, all the lights are still on. So I reset both modem and Xbox and there's still no connection. Turned on laptop and there's no wireless connection, no detection of it at all even though the wireless LED is on. So now I'm hooked up via ethernet but I have nothing long enough for the Xbox.

This is pretty damn annoying.

Advertisement