Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N24 Limerick-Waterford upgrade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

i saw them do the tarmacking last week and i did notice the surface was all the same but today i noticed another layer of tarmac down that only extended to the edge of the roadway, the right side (heading west) will be a footpath with an earthen mound (roughly knee high) dividing it from the roadway. they have most of the mound done when i passed earlier, fair play to them, they are doing the job quickly, its a pity all the existing route couldnt be done.

They are doing tarmac on the monard curve between ballykisteen house and monard village too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

I've been looking at that earthen mound which will seperate the road from the path. It doesn't look like the safest thing to me. As mentioned, it doesn't look much more than knee high and wouldn't be much use if a car travelling at 80 kph or more was to veer off the road there.
    It's still better than walking on the road though, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bogs

what do you think of the road surface in carrick as your goin from clonmel to waterford N24.Im driving this section daily and i have never seen such neglect of a main thoroughfare in my life.It seems to be an obstacle course zig zag for a few kms.The manhole covers and surrounds are lethal and the cowboy operators that did this job should be exiled and not alone them but the Council that hired them to do the job,but what can you expect?.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭cml387

Work on removing a particularly lethal bend at Tankardstown (travelling towards Cahir it's the section about 0.5 km beyond the Apple Farm) is underway atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭julyjane

bogs wrote: »
    what do you think of the road surface in carrick as your goin from clonmel to waterford N24.Im driving this section daily and i have never seen such neglect of a main thoroughfare in my life.It seems to be an obstacle course zig zag for a few kms.The manhole covers and surrounds are lethal and the cowboy operators that did this job should be exiled and not alone them but the Council that hired them to do the job,but what can you expect?.

I live in Carrick, it's a disgrace especially in front of the park near the traffic lights. On the side of the road where the pub/off licence is there is a dip in the road where I saw a laden trailer get stuck one day. I guess it's hard for them to do anything when it's both a national primary route and one of the main routes in the town. It's hard to get from anywhere to anywhere in the town without going along the N24 at some point. I guess they could arrange a diversion via the Mart/CBS primary school/back of the fair green and park but it would have to be done during the school holidays so they missed the boat there this year :mad:

There are 2 lots of roadworks in Carrickbeg right now, that place is a traffic nightmare at the best of times. If you think going through Carrick from the Clonmel side is bad, it's worse for those driving from the Dungarvan side. I don't know how the truck and bus drivers do it.

There was a public consultation in Carrick today, basically just giving people maps of the proposed route of the Carrick bypass. It's going to be about 100 yards from my front door, even though I live a bit out the country. I'm not against the bypass but there doesn't appear to be adequate access to or from the town onto the bypass. This could be a problem for the businesses in town who will want some of the passing trade to come into the down.

If it ever happens :rolleyes: It would be great for Carrick because the present congestion is choking the town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

I've been looking at that earthen mound which will seperate the road from the path. It doesn't look like the safest thing to me. As mentioned, it doesn't look much more than knee high and wouldn't be much use if a car travelling at 80 kph or more was to veer off the road there.

Its about time we got a footpath there , at least we can go out walking now and feel somewhat safe.

I suppose they couldn't afford the kerbing for the stretch of road....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Proposed Route of Clonmel Bypass, unveiled this week:
    DSCF3517.jpg

Proposed Route of Carrick-on-Suir Bypass, also unveiled this week:
    DSCF3521.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

How did the public consultation go today Furet? Wanted to go but couldn't make it in the end

wellbutty wrote: »
    How did the public consultation go today Furet? Wanted to go but couldn't make it in the end

I was told on the phone the week before last that it would be on today, so I turned up at 3pm and the place was shut. It was on on Tuesday and I missed it. I saw no adverts for it these past weeks either.

It's ridiculous actually. A car that hit it would very quickly lose control. Also, the footpath does not need to be that wide. It just doesn't.

I've posted images of the proposed Carrick and Clonmel bypass route corridors here. I think the Clonmel Bypass in particular veers rather too far north of the current road. That said, as a Type 2 Dual Carriageway the alignment, sightlines and overtaking possibilities will be excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

Furet wrote: »
    It's ridiculous actually. A car that hit it would very quickly lose control. Also, the footpath does not need to be that wide. It just doesn't.

I've posted images of the proposed Carrick and Clonmel bypass route corridors here. I think the Clonmel Bypass in particular veers rather too far north of the current road. That said, as a Type 2 Dual Carriageway the alignment, sightlines and overtaking possibilities will be excellent.

The whole footpath idea is ridiculous. For a fit person it must be a good 40 minute walk from the town center out to Limerick Junction. I can't see it being used by more than a couple of people a week to access the train station from the town. It might be used by people out for a casual walk but that's not what I want my tax spent on while services like Clonmel Hospital are being shut. In the current climate it's a total waste of money.

There is a lot of work going on along the N24 at the moment. They are taking out some bends, widening and resurfacing other parts. Given all this money I fear they are preparing for an announcement that the N24 has seen "significant recent investment" and therefore the planned new route has been cancelled. I think we can forget about a bypass for Tipp town and Bansha for at least 15-20 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Heck - we'd have twice the mileage of upgraded roads if all this ******* 'consultation' and endless process was never in place. We missed the (Celtic Tiger) boat.

We should have built when we had the dosh, from start to finish in 3 years max.

We Irish excel at debate, controversy, objections and general trainspotting but are crap at delivery :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭serfboard

Wild Bill wrote: »
    We Irish excel at debate, controversy, objections and general trainspotting but are crap at delivery :mad:.

I disagree. Assuming Castletown-Nenagh is completed, if you take a period from December 2000->December 2010 we will have delivered all the interurbans plus sections of the Atlantic Corridor. It's a hell of an improvement in a relatively short period of time.
    We should have built when we had the dosh

We did. Now we haven't so we're not. Or at least we're kicking it to PPP, if the credit markets can be convinced that we won't default.
    Heck - we'd have twice the mileage of upgraded roads if all this ******* 'consultation' and endless process was never in place.

Yes, but you can't just ram through what you think is right, regardless of what people think. That's called fascism. If you agree with that, then I'm going to demolish your house to make way for a shopping centre, and you can get lost if you think I'm going to compensate you.

I agree that parts of the process could probably be modified, but you cannot dismiss it altogether.

serfboard wrote: »
    I agree that parts of the process could probably be modified, but you cannot dismiss it altogether.

Course you can, or much of it - not 100% perhaps. If the democratically elected Government decides to abolish, say, 90% of the "process" then that is democracy.

We very belatedly got the bulk of the MIUs completed between 2005 and this year. Blind luck rather than timely planning - we wasted the period 1995 - circa 2003 in endless debate (and not just about roads - virtually anything to do with infrastructure).

We have barely tackled other Primary and Secondary routes and of course we have left such schemes as the M20/M18 and the other roads out West undone.

Galway bypass is a classic example of what I'm talking about - indulging cranks at the expense of all the rest of us - now the money is gone. :cool:

(In fact in the period 1995 to 2002 we could have built far more cheaply before the full inflationary effects of the property bubble kicked-in; had we got our act together in time. The early Tiger years were spent indulging tree-huggers on the N11 to snails and swans and ruins and any other thing the cranks could imagine on nearly every project proposed).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

if you take a period from December 2000->December 2010 we will have delivered all the interurbans plus sections of the Atlantic Corridor.

If you class the origins of the routes from Galway to Dublin, Limerick to Dublin, Cork to Dublin an Newry to Dublin, then logicaly the routes between Cork and Limerick is an interurban route also.

Very little if any of this has been upgraded in the last decade.

Using the Nra's spin on what is and isn't an "interurban" serves no useful purpose other than make them look like great lads.

This is a short (c. 600m) realignment of the N24 between Bansha and Cahir, being undertaken to remove a bend in the current road (show below):

DSCF3560.jpg

DSCF3563.jpg

It's not the worst bend by a long shot along this section of N24, but it is the only one where improvement works aren't constrained by one-off houses.

DSCF3561.jpg

DSCF3562.jpg

DSCF3564.jpg

DSCF3565.jpg

DSCF3566.jpg

DSCF3567.jpg

iv been waiting to see them do that section for years, the land is theres since the 80,s and the fencing has been there as long as i can remember..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Well it's good to see small jobs like this being done on the National Roads - it's certainly better than nothing and every little helps. I was on one such improvement East of Navan, Co. Meath on the N51 - actually drove it myself. About 2km of horrible road was eliminated - now the speed is 80k and the road has no hard shoulders (est: 8.0m pavement), but what an improvement! By the looks of things, the N24 job will also involve an 8.0m wide road - there's a similar job on the N11 near The Tap.

:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

8M wide with no H/S is basically the UK standard for lower trafficed routes. Works perfectly well there. N24 might be a bit high-traffic but this is a sticking plaster job.

Attached.

• Advertisement

I made this submission to the County Council regarding the Clonmel Bypass:

Dear Sir/Madam,

After studying the map of the emerging route corridor for the N24 Clonmel Bypass, I consider the inclusion of just two junctions at either end of the scheme to be insufficient. While I fully acknowledge that national primary roads are principally for long-distance traffic rather than for local use, the fact that the proposed route crosses two regional roads in quick succession presents an opportunity to better connect both Cashel and Fethard with the South East via the N24.

If a junction is not included for these regional roads, motorists wishing to join the new N24 from either of these towns and their hinterlands will have to travel onto the existing Clonmel Relief Road (CRR) and then proceed east or west to join the N24. This will not only add to their journey times, but will also fail to eliminate as much of the through-traffic from the CRR as possible; furthermore, it will, over the course of years, increase carbon emissions by virtue of the increased journey times and resulting congestion on the CRR.

I would therefore like to suggest:
    • the addition of a LILO junction where the proposed N24 crosses the R689
    • the addition of a LILO junction where the proposed N24 crosses the R688
    OR
    • the addition of one LILO junction on the proposed N24 midway between the R688 and R689. The R688 and R689 could be connected to this LILO via a new spur that would link both these regional roads with the N24.

I would encourage the designers to avoid using roundabout junctions and to instead opt for LILO junctions at least.

i once heard a spur was to be built off the proposed by pass leading to where the present tipp institute is but its not going to happen now by the looks of it anyhow there is new housing all along the hill behind the institute so it cant possibly happen.. i always thought till i seen the attachments on Boards the bypass would go by rathronan (near maxol) i think that was the plan up till the late 90's or so. a junction should be built at the fethard road by lisronagh but i dont think the R688 should get one as all traffic to cashel should be going by J10 as the R688 is a scandalous road only suited for local traffic, it makes me sea sick, but a spur from lisronagh to the cashel road should be built it would help serve Clerihan and the industrial estates on the top of the cashel road..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭serfboard

we wasted the period 1995 - circa 2003 in endless debate (and not just about roads - virtually anything to do with infrastructure).

Indeed. Most of this period coincided with Mary O'Rourke's tenure as Minister - probably, IMO, the worst Minister for Transport we have ever had - described as being someone who was "always one more consultants report away from making a decision".
    If you class the origins of the routes from Galway to Dublin, Limerick to Dublin, Cork to Dublin an Newry to Dublin, then logicaly the routes between Cork and Limerick is an interurban route also.

Very little if any of this has been upgraded in the last decade.

Using the Nra's spin on what is and isn't an "interurban" serves no useful purpose other than make them look like great lads.

Logically Limerick->Waterford is also an interurban, and nothing has been spent on that (apart from the Cahir bypass, which was built as part of the M8 project).

I use the word interurban in exactly the same way as the NRA do only to save listing all the schemes, and I do still believe it has been a great achievement and a great legacy to have built all the schemes that they have done. It took us a while to get started, but once we did, and once we got all our processes in place (one of which was the establishment of the NRA), we pushed ahead at a great pace.

Could we have done more? Possibly. Should we have built the M20? Definitely. I still can't figure out why Ennis->Gort->Tuam gets priority over Cork->Limerick.

Indeed. Most of this period coincided with Mary O'Rourke's tenure as Minister - probably, IMO, the worst Minister for Transport we have ever had - described as being someone who was "always one more consultants report away from making a decision".

Yep, and Seamus Brennan was probably the best till he refused to do tricks for Bertie.
    I do still believe it has been a great achievement and a great legacy to have built all the schemes that they have done. It took us a while to get started, but once we did, and once we got all our processes in place (one of which was the establishment of the NRA), we pushed ahead at a great pace.

Agree 100% :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I still can't figure out why Ennis->Gort->Tuam gets priority over Cork->Limerick.

To appease the West of Ireland and win votes. Cork - Limerick doesnt have that vote-winning factor.

Funny enough you heard about people getting killed on the Ennis-Galway road (before the M bits were built) far less than you do on Cork - Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

The proposed bypasses of towns along the N24, are they going to be dual carriageway bypasses like the Castleisland N21, or will it be single lane?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

lukejr wrote: »
    The proposed bypasses of towns along the N24, are they going to be dual carriageway bypasses like the Castleisland N21, or will it be single lane?

Dual. Eventual plan is for 2+2 from Waterford to Limerick, in 2030 or so...

Attached.

Residents angry at proposed new route for Carrick-on-Suir by-pass

Published Date: 10 November 2010
    By Aileen Hahesy

A campaign of opposition to the new proposed preferred Carrick-on-Suir Bypass route corridor was launched at a public meeting attended by about 60 residents and landowners last Saturday.

The meeting in the Carraig Hotel in Carrick-on-Suir was organised by the Cregg Road and Deadman's Boreen Residents Committee, whose members live along part of the new preferred route corridor.

Speakers appealed to residents and landowners living in other areas along the "emerging preferred" route corridor to lodge submissions highlighting their concerns to South Tipperary Co. Council as soon as possible.

The original closing date for receipt of submissions was November 5. But following lobbying by residents and local politicians the deadline is now extended to Monday, November 22.

The original preferred route corridor for the bypass was chosen in 2003. It was closer to Carrick-on-Suir and was a single carriageway.
    But In 2008, the National Roads Authority carried out a review of the project and decided a dual carriageway was required and that a new preferred route corridor should be selected.

The Co. Council is currently engaging in a public consultation process for the new corridor it has chosen, which is the same as the previous corridor from Kilheffernan to Ballydine but goes further north of Carrick-on-Suir and into Co. Kilkenny. Details and maps of the route are available at the Co. Council offices in Clonmel and at Carrick Town Council.

Deirdre Walsh of the Cregg Road and Deadman's Boreen Residents Committee warned at the public meeting that if the Council didn't receive enough submissions, it would confirm the preferred route without any changes.
    "Some people will feel they can't stand in the way of progress. However everyone affected by this should put their views to the Co. Council. You must do this without delay," she said.

Ms Walsh said the bypass would bring noise and light pollution increase air pollution and also seriously impact on the rural environment and community.
    The road would cut communities in half and also devalue homes by possibly 30%.

She also argued that the new preferred route was too far from Carrick-on-Suir and would require motorists to do a detour to get to the town.
    She estimated Carrick-on-Suir would lose about 35% of the trade it received from traffic passing through the town.

Ms Walsh urged other communities along the preferred route to set up committees to get involved in the campaign of opposition.
    And she said residents and landowners needed to lobby their local councillors and TDs.

Bob Fitzgerald, also of the Cregg Road and Deadman's Boreen Residents Committee, said he was extremely annoyed at the way the Council handled the public consultation process and accused the Council of denying the people of the town their rights.

He criticised the location and content of the press adverts about the public consultation evening in October and pointed out that many people hadn't known about the forum. He also criticised the format of the public consultation forum where residents approached council officials privately to ask them questions. There should have been a public meeting with a panel of experts answering questions, he argued.

Mr Fitzgerald said the Council had considered four possible routes but refused to give them access to the maps for those other routes.

"How in God's name in the public interest and in the interest of transparency can we make a submission if we are not given access to all the information," he said.

Mr Fitzgerald also questioned the need to upgrade the bypass to a dual carriageway with a capacity for 40,000 vehicles a day.

He claimed the population projections on which the predicted traffic volumes for the bypas were based were flawed. The increase in emigration and return of foreign immigrants to their home countries hadn't been taken into account and would reduce the traffic volumes by 12%, he argued.

He claimed the location of the bypass's proposed access junction to the town near Blarney Woollen Mills meant it would be three minutes quicker for motorists to drive to Clonmel than to Carrick-on-Suir. "This will kill the economic life of Carrick-on-Suir, a town that is already on its knees," he declared.

Ann-Marie Power of the Killonerry, Bawngarriff and Garnarea Residents Association, whose members also live along the preferred route corridor, said the road would go straight through the front garden of their new home, which they had only moved into a year ago.

Members of their association were unanimously opposed to the new preferred bypass route, she said. They were concerned about local roads being turned into cul de sacs, about people being cut off from other family members and about getting from one place to another.

Deputy Mayor of Carrick-on-Suir Cllr Patsy Fitzgerald said he was personally not in favour of the by pass and pledged to do what he could at Town Council level to assist the campaign.

Co. Council Director of Road Services Billy McEvoy said all submissions received by the Council would be taken into account before the Council's final report on the route corridor was submitted to the NRA for approval.
    He stressed that the Council was only considering the general route corridor at the moment and the detailed design of the route won't take place until the next stage of the planning process. There would be further opportunities for the public to make their views known on the route at later stages in the process, he said.

Mr McEvoy acknowledged there would be some local impact no matter where the bypass was built but the Council would try to mitigate such impacts at the detailed design stage.

Mr McEvoy rejected suggestions the bypass would be economically detrimental to Carrick-on-Suir, pointing out that this hadn't been the experience of many other towns bypassed around the country. The arguement about falling traffic volumes was fair, he said, but the Council had to plan the road for future traffic growth in the event the country's economic circumstances improved. It would be more costly to add onto the bypass route in the future.

Mr McEvoy also defended the Council's handling of the public consultation process. He believed there had been sufficient notification and pointed out public debate about the route corridor was taking place now. On last month's public consultation session organised by the Council, he said many people preferred to speak to Council officials privately and felt intimidated in a public meeting setting.
    http://www.nationalist.ie/the/Residents-angry-at-proposed-new.6620191.jp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

"Cregg Road and Deadman's Boreen Residents Committee"

Says it all really.

Advertisement