Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Paralysis

Hi, is it true that international applicants don't have to do the HPAT? Also that they get offers of really rather low grades? I was talking to someone who claimed that they had an 'offer' for Trinity, at the beginning of this year, with no HPAT and ONLY 3As at A-level, as they were an international applicant??

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Darksider

Paralysis wrote: »
    Hi, is it true that international applicants don't have to do the HPAT? Also that they get offers of really rather low grades? I was talking to someone who claimed that they had an 'offer' for Trinity, at the beginning of this year, with no HPAT and ONLY 3As at A-level, as they were an international applicant??

I'm pretty sure you have to do the HPAT if you're applying with A levels. They only count 4 subjects with A levels though and the points are scaled accordingly, eg. an A* (kind of like the A1 equivalent) is worth 125 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Darksider wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you have to do the HPAT if you're applying with A levels. They only count 4 subjects with A levels though and the points are scaled accordingly, eg. an A* (kind of like the A1 equivalent) is worth 125 points.

An A* is worth 150 points.

Yes, but you can apply as an international applicant with A-levels, and if you're an international applicant you don't have to do the HPAT right?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 iluvgreenday246

558 adjusted lc points (590 initially) plus 181 in the hpat gives me 739 points... what are my chances of being offered medicine in nuig?

• Advertisement

558 adjusted lc points (590 initially) plus 181 in the hpat gives me 739 points... what are my chances of being offered medicine in nuig?

I'd say you have a good chance :) i'm praying points don't go up by over 10!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

best of luck everyone,hope everyone who really wants it gets it

finality wrote: »

An A* is worth 150 points.

Ah that's right sorry, shoulda done my maths before posting lol

• Registered Users Posts: 24 johnnyboy18

Do we get letters tomorrow or just online offers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

You get both letters and online offers tomorrow. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SnowPretzel

Do we get letters tomorrow or just online offers?

Both I think.

Anyone care to offer some final predictions?

Paralysis wrote: »
    Anyone care to offer some final predictions?

I'll go ahead and throw some in for gambling's sake:

NUIG: 739
    TCD: 748

The other 3 will be in between those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SnowPretzel

I'll go ahead and throw some in for gambling's sake:

NUIG: 739

The other 3 will be in between those two.

I'm gonna go for
    NUIG- 737
    TCD- 747
    With the rest also being somewhere in between .

• Registered Users Posts: 24 johnnyboy18

UCD:745
    UCC:744
    RC:743
    NUIG:741

The survey carried out by partatmygaff has drastically changed my opinion. I think we're looking at approx. 10 rises across the board and we'll see the difference in points between tcd and nuig tightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I'll have a go, purely because I'd like to be able to say "I predicted it" :P

NUIG 736
    RCSI 739
    UCC 740
    UCD 744
    TCD 749

I'll have a go, purely because I'd like to be able to say "I predicted it" :P

NUIG 736
    RCSI 739
    UCC 740
    UCD 744
    TCD 749

For the first round? I'd imagine they'll be 3 or 4 higher... But will fall to around these... Throwing in my two cents :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Best of luck tonight/tomorrow everyone!

I'll throw in my 2 cents...736 Galway, 746 Trinity, everything else somewhere in between. I think they'll all be within 10 points or so of eachother. But its all just speculation...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭back to back

tcd 749
    ucd 746
    ucc 743
    rcsi 739
    ucg 738

2nd round offers

tcd 748
    ucd 743
    ucc 742
    rcsi unchanged
    ucg unchanged

slightley differant than my previous prediction, due to 170 less got A1 in hons maths this year!!!!

2nd round offers

tcd 748
    ucd 743
    ucc 742
    rcsi unchanged
    ucg unchanged

slightley differant than my previous prediction, due to 170 less got A1 in hons maths this year!!!!

Its much more likely that the lower points colleges will offer second rounds, especially if the higher ones do. A lot of people living in the Dublin area, if offered NUIG/UCC originally, will accept the second round UCD/RCSI/TCD. Their NUIG/UCC place will then be offered to someone else.

Last year Trinity did not have a second round, the rest did (as far as I can remember!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 seasonoflove

Last year Trinity did not have a second round, the rest did (as far as I can remember!)

Trinity was 741 first round last year and dropped to 739 last round with some people being accepted on 738 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭back to back

Its much more likely that the lower points colleges will offer second rounds, especially if the higher ones do. A lot of people living in the Dublin area, if offered NUIG/UCC originally, will accept the second round UCD/RCSI/TCD. Their NUIG/UCC place will then be offered to someone else.

it is the higher points colleges that will drop on 2nd rounds.as seen on previous years as the drop is distributed to all the other colleges, as seen on previous years.

it is the higher points colleges that will drop on 2nd rounds.as seen on previous years as the drop is distributed to all the other colleges, as seen on previous years.

The lower points colleges have dropped in the 2nd round the last 3 years, due to people across all colleges refusing the first offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

I predict SERIOUS CELEBRATIONS if I get in as an undergraduate..

My Bill for studying medicine if 737 is good enough will be €25,000+ less!

go'on 737 jumbo jet landing in RCSI.. 2nd/3rd round if all goes well.

If you are a few points short after 1st round offers, don't give up hope.

Even though there will be serious points inflation in most courses I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised by how little med goes up by this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mad Shark

hollingr wrote: »
    I predict SERIOUS CELEBRATIONS if I get in as an undergraduate..

My Bill for studying medicine if 737 is good enough will be €25,000+ less!

go'on 737 jumbo jet landing in RCSI.. 2nd/3rd round if all goes well.

If you are a few points short after 1st round offers, don't give up hope.

Even though there will be serious points inflation in most courses I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised by how little med goes up by this year!

I am hoping your predictions will becomes true as I will be so pleased but I predict a rise of between 8 and 12 points across the board... thats my gut feeling.... good luck everyone - be sure to post and tell us how you did!!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Mad Shark wrote: »
    I am hoping your predictions will becomes true as I will be so pleased but I predict a rise of between 8 and 12 points across the board... thats my gut feeling.... good luck everyone - be sure to post and tell us how you did!!

Just out of interest, what make you think 8 - 12? That seems a bit high. The jump was about 10 across the board last year and that was with the higher HPAT scores. I know that the bonus points and the higher amount of people in the 550+ range will increase the points but I don't think it will be by that much. Especially since HPAT scores have stagnated. Or maybe I'm just too optimistic...

UCD:745
    UCC:744
    RC:743
    NUIG:741

The survey carried out by partatmygaff has drastically changed my opinion. I think we're looking at approx. 10 rises across the board and we'll see the difference in points between tcd and nuig tightening.

I do really hope its not this high but you could be right...!!

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Just out of interest, what make you think 8 - 12? That seems a bit high. The jump was about 10 across the board last year and that was with the higher HPAT scores. I know that the bonus points and the higher amount of people in the 550+ range will increase the points but I don't think it will be by that much. Especially since HPAT scores have stagnated. Or maybe I'm just too optimistic...

I say closer to 8 than to 12 if i am honest ... but it will be more than 5 or 6 points because of the increased number within the LC 550+ range and increased foreign students this year...

Taco Chips wrote: »

Look at this survey, there seems to be serious points inflation going on this year.

Though there does seem to be a correlation with higher points being more likely to be posted on the internet than lower points, which means it might not be a very representative sample.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjdswhIupxjadC05Z1ZFemR5SDZGT2M3Q29rZ1Z1QXc#gid=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Mad Shark wrote: »
    I say closer to 8 than to 12 if i am honest ... but it will be more than 5 or 6 points because of the increased number within the LC 550+ range and increased foreign students this year...

True. Fingers crossed it's closer to 8. 7 even? :P

Advertisement