Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moneybookers PrePaid MasterCard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭darkside71

south wrote: »
    That's what I thought. I'd say the women i was talking to didn't have to clue because she kept saying that lasers would only work on .ie sites.
    Moneybookers took €2.18 or something like that from my account to validate it but when i tried to use the laser to pay the €10 for the Mastercard it would not work. you get 3 goes and then it's locked for 24 hours. Tried again today but no joy.
    I'll try contacting AIB tomorrow again and see if I can get to the end of it.
    Thanks for the replies

I had the same issue with my NIB laser card last year. Basically I couldn't transfer funds from it. I needed the card in a hurry, so I found that if I kept the amounts been transferred under 3 euros or smaller it actually would transfer. So I did this about 4 times and got my total over 10 euros and paid for the card.

I never actually got it sorted and ended up doing online bank transfers to lodge money into my moneybrookers card. Which is fine for me but takes 3 days to transfer. But it's kinda strange only some people are affected. It's your bank restricting your laser card I think.. but when I rang NIB they denied all knowledge that anything like this was happening.

Also sent an email to moneybookers and while they said there was nothing they could do, they did say sometimes banks do place restrictions on them because they are declared as gaming transactions, anyways have a look at the email I got from them below. Hope it helps...

We have checked your transaction against the information received from our credit/debit card payment provider. According to our provider the transaction failed since your bank did not authorise it. Unfortunately the bank's message forwarded to us by our credit card processor is not really clear enough to be able to say exactly WHY your bank refused this transaction.

However, from our experience, there are the following possibilities:
    1. Not enough funds on the bank account or monthly spending limit on the credit card is exceeded.
    2. Internet transactions are generally not authorised.
    3. Internet transactions to England are not authorised.
    4. Internet Gaming transactions are not allowed by your bank (all our credit card transactions are and have to be declared as gaming transactions, although we are not directly a gaming operator).
    5. Incorrect Credit Card details supplied.

If you are sure that none of the above applies to your transaction, your bank might be able to tell you why the transaction failed. In such a case please mention exact amount, date and time of transaction and name of the company to receive the money (moneybookers.com). Unfortunately though, most banks are not very keen on telling customers why they refused a certain transaction. Often they may even say that they didn't refuse it at all. However, we can assure you that this transaction has been declined, since we would have otherwise certainly liked to process it - this is our business afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

south wrote: »
    That's what I thought. I'd say the women i was talking to didn't have to clue because she kept saying that lasers would only work on .ie sites.
    Moneybookers took €2.18 or something like that from my account to validate it but when i tried to use the laser to pay the €10 for the Mastercard it would not work. you get 3 goes and then it's locked for 24 hours. Tried again today but no joy.
    I'll try contacting AIB tomorrow again and see if I can get to the end of it.
    Thanks for the replies

I'm sure you did but just incase....
    When MB took the 2.18 from your account, you did enter that value back in to verify your card didnt you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭south

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I'm sure you did but just incase....
    When MB took the 2.18 from your account, you did enter that value back in to verify your card didnt you?

Yes i sure did.

darkside71 wrote: »
    I had the same issue with my NIB laser card last year. Basically I couldn't transfer funds from it. I needed the card in a hurry, so I found that if I kept the amounts been transferred under 3 euros or smaller it actually would transfer. So I did this about 4 times and got my total over 10 euros and paid for the card.

I never actually got it sorted and ended up doing online bank transfers to lodge money into my moneybrookers card. Which is fine for me but takes 3 days to transfer. But it's kinda strange only some people are affected. It's your bank restricting your laser card I think.. but when I rang NIB they denied all knowledge that anything like this was happening.

Also sent an email to moneybookers and while they said there was nothing they could do, they did say sometimes banks do place restrictions on them because they are declared as gaming transactions, anyways have a look at the email I got from them below. Hope it helps...

We have checked your transaction against the information received from our credit/debit card payment provider. According to our provider the transaction failed since your bank did not authorise it. Unfortunately the bank's message forwarded to us by our credit card processor is not really clear enough to be able to say exactly WHY your bank refused this transaction.

However, from our experience, there are the following possibilities:
    1. Not enough funds on the bank account or monthly spending limit on the credit card is exceeded.
    2. Internet transactions are generally not authorised.
    3. Internet transactions to England are not authorised.
    4. Internet Gaming transactions are not allowed by your bank (all our credit card transactions are and have to be declared as gaming transactions, although we are not directly a gaming operator).
    5. Incorrect Credit Card details supplied.

If you are sure that none of the above applies to your transaction, your bank might be able to tell you why the transaction failed. In such a case please mention exact amount, date and time of transaction and name of the company to receive the money (moneybookers.com). Unfortunately though, most banks are not very keen on telling customers why they refused a certain transaction. Often they may even say that they didn't refuse it at all. However, we can assure you that this transaction has been declined, since we would have otherwise certainly liked to process it - this is our business afterall.

Thanks for this. It all sounds very strange to be honest.. I'll send them off an email and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 995thewolf

Hi everyone, i don't think these prepaid mastercards that are issused outside ireland accept laser card payments. I have the neteller card its great never had a problem with it, use my internet banking to top it up, or my payzone pre-paid mastercard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

ecomac wrote: »
    Another update. I tried to send one more time copy of the required forms. This time they told me it's too dark. No comments.
    So as I said I was going to close down my account with Moneybookers, but I still had there something over a hundred euros. When I was going to pay for my on-line shoppings, I found my MB card is blocked. I went into my account and I found they want me to send my ID and proof of address to them. AGAIN. I had this account since august 2010 and I've already sent those docs when I was opening this account. Since then I used this card surely more than 10 times and topped it up with my laser good few times as well. And now they want me to send it again with no reason. So my advice is - stay away from moneybookers. They booked my money alright... for themselves

Just heard about this card, but after seeing ecomacs post I think I will stay away from Money Bookers
    I seen this site that has the exact same problems as Ecomac. http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews126088.html
    Think Il get the 02 money card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

If you plan on selling hundreds/thousands of euros worth of stuff online, then I see why you'd be wary of using moneybookers.

But if you use it just for making purchases online like me, then I'd pick moneybookers over 02 money card any day. Only a tenner a year, and I can top up my account anytime with Laser for free. Just spent almost 300 euros this week alone buying bits and bobs from amazon & ebay. It's been great for me anyway :)

jamescd wrote: »
    If you plan on selling hundreds/thousands of euros worth of stuff online, then I see why you'd be wary of using moneybookers.

But if you use it just for making purchases online like me, then I'd pick moneybookers over 02 money card any day. Only a tenner a year, and I can top up my account anytime with Laser for free. Just spent almost 300 euros this week alone buying bits and bobs from amazon & ebay. It's been great for me anyway :)

Agreed. o2 money card has a heap of charges. MB ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Agreed. o2 money card has a heap of charges. MB ftw!

Agree also, I've found MB to be fantastic for online purchasing.

Haven't had any problems with using mine either. Great for buying stuff online and used it to pay for my hotel last weekend in Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Since i got the neteller card ive booked about 7 flights and not paid anything in booking fees and saved myself a nice few quid, highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

Another thumbs up here for MoneyBookers and Neteller here...

I use mine for travelling abroad... now that AIB have limited overseas withdrawls bby Laser card to €100 per day....

MB allows €250 Per day (costs €2 to withdraw - but nothing to load)
    Neteller is up to €800 per day... (but costs €4 to withdraw - but nothing to load)

Both can be loaded instantly online through my laser card...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭jpmiddleton

Is there anywhere that it defintely cannot be used online?

Is there anywhere that it defintely cannot be used online?

The only problem I have ever had was that iTunes wouldnt accept it. Said the card was not from my region or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I've been using the MB card loads since I got it. Top it up via Laser as required. Anybody know do you get a heads up when the tenner is payable?. I'm not leaving any money in it and can't remember when my 1st 12 mths is up.

The start date on the card itself maybe ? If it's say 08/10, then 12 months would be 08/11 :P

Is there a Foreign currency charge for the MB Card or the Neteller one?
    Also can you link your Laser card to Neteller?

Just got the 02 card today, the charge is 2.75% if your purchase is in a currency other than euro. Other than that the fees are Minuscule if you are just using it online.
    Even the 2.75% is 27.50 for every 1000 you spend. Seeing as I wont be using the card for big purchases I think I can cope with those charges. 3V is a rip off with its 2 month expiry date.
    Good to hear the positives about MB and netteller ,but Im afraid the negative reports on MB would make me stay away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Pangea wrote: »
    Good to hear the positives about MB and netteller ,but Im afraid the negative reports on MB would make me stay away from it.
    What negative reports would those be? I have yet to experience a single issue either online or in shops etc. so you could say I'm curious.

It's true that iTunes won't accept Moneybookers for Apple accounts registered in Ireland, not the card's fault if Apple have some weird T&C's but something to consider if you intend using it on the Apple Store.

Savman wrote: »
    What negative reports would those be? I have yet to experience a single issue either online or in shops etc. so you could say I'm curious.

It's true that iTunes won't accept Moneybookers for Apple accounts registered in Ireland, not the card's fault if Apple have some weird T&C's but something to consider if you intend using it on the Apple Store.

Go to the previous page and see my post there http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055817864&page=5

A lot of people complain about their customer service and their money somehow not being recieved on other side but still taken out of your account.

Not an apple fan so that would not be an issue.

Go to the previous page and see my post there http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055817864&page=5

A lot of people complain about their customer service and their money somehow not being recieved on other side but still taken out of your account.
    Well I've had no problems topping up, go figure.

• Advertisement

Their customer service has been top notch in my experience. I've only had to contact customer service about 3 or 4 times, even though I've been using my card a lot since I got it. Just recently I had trouble with purchasing something on amazon. I contacted them if they had any idea why my card was being declined. They responded pretty fast, explaining to me that I can only complete 5 transactions with my card every 24 hours. I certainly can't complain about their customer service :)

Well I've had no problems topping up, go figure.

Tell all those people that lost their money to go figure , Im sure that would be helpful :P
    Its not a topping up issue, the people in the reviews and one on this thread said the money was sent to the seller but the seller never received it and could not get their money back.
    Like any service I suppose people have good experiences and bad ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 995thewolf

I have been using neteller and have found them very good. Using the card while in the uk recently was no problem. Their customer service is very good. I have been topping up my account by debit card, however i opened an online account with rabo direct and plan to top up with their online banking next time, just to see how long it takes to transfer funds. I'll post and let u know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Been using it for months now and have nothing but good things to say tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Have been using the card for over a year now and I find it great. I only use it for booking flights though and use my regular credit card for everything else. It works great though saving you lots of money each time as you don't have to pay the credit card fee. Also this one doesn't charge you any fee for uploadng money when using your laser and there are also no transactions fees online only €5 a yr charge and that is made buying a one-way flight with ryanair. Think it a great card. As mentioned i don't use it for anything else and I don't see why you would need to either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ianblyth

I just got this card.. had same problems with uploading credit from AIB laser card.. it wouldn't work but the first card check amount went through fine.. did some googling and found somewhere can't remember where... it's as simple as this.. when asked for the security code (the three digit number) just put in 000 that's zero zero zero .... did this and my test upload of 10 euro went through instantly!

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭seanin4711

I have funds in my BOI account want to deposit funds into neteller account online and go through the whole debit card fill-in and everything all hunky dory until i press enter at the end and tranaction delined.
    I choose maestro
    and ll the rest of the card details (which worked for the last year almost) and all of a sudden wont let me deposit!
    Very frustrating as you come to rely on it!!!
    BUGGER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Regarding this card and the no fees for topping up via a laser card, well I am with Permanent TSB and used to have a laser card but they have changed the laser card to a visa debit card.

Does anyone know if the visa debit card qualifies as a laser card and thus I can avoid any topping up fees?

Visa Debit costs 1.9% to top up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Visa Debit costs 1.9% to top up.

Thanks for your reply.

Fcuk PTSB for getting rid of the Laser card and moving everyone to Visa Debit cards.

Any other sites do free top up off Visa Debit? I know 1.9% isn't much but I could be spending a fair bit on flights.

Advertisement