Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

E-Cigarettes - The original thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, I have been rotating the cartridge on the spike thing to make sure the hole is properly clear.

i think my problem was I was drawing too hard on it, i'm taking soft slow draws now and the burning taste has dissapeared. the actual flavour of the juice itself is a little random, sometimes it's a huge taste sometimes mild but that's not a huge issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭puttputt

I find a double draw works well, take a short draw and then a longer one immediately and I find I get loads of vapour and flavour that way

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Im thinking of trying these soon can anyone advise which is the best make and the best place to get it from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sky35

Hi everyone, I'm a 20-30 a day smoker and I really want to give up. I've tried before using gum, patches and plastic inhaler thing and had limited success with all and ended up back smoking. I've been researching electronic cigarettes the last week or so, both online and in the chemist. I have found that the chemists were useless, no information and online theres so many different sites selling them that its just confusing me. Could anyone tell to me what I'll need to buy to get started? I'd prefer to buy from Ireland rather than the UK or US as I've got it in my head to give up now and want it to arrive quickly after ordering. I also only smoke silk cut ultra at the moment so they're pretty low nicotine so are there milder strength liquids or cartridges I can get as I dont want to end up hooked on a higher dose of nicotine than I already am on. What I think I like about the electronic cigarette is that it should feel like I'm smoking which is what I missed most about all the other quit methods I tried.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

No offence to either of the above two posters but it's like every other post before you never existed. There are countless posts where people talk about what they consider the best model to buy, where to buy in Ireland, the fact that buying from an Irish site is usually next day delivery and so on.

Currently the eGo standard, eGo Mega or the eGo Tank are considered the best options starting out. It's impossible to know which will be best for a specific person so you have to dive in and try it. All I will say is that the Tank is the simplest and easiest to use. It's very new though and from what I can see can have problems but you must realise before buying that every component of an e-cig should be considered disposable. Most of the time they work great but if a battery/attomiser/cartridge is not working then return it or buy another.

There are a couple of good Irish options now:-

http://www.thevapourstore.ie/
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/

I've bought from both with next day delivery (assuming you order early on the day before) and they have been fine. A friend at work bought the tank last week from the vapour store and had problems with one of the atomisers. She emailed them and they immediately sent out a replacement atomiser with an envelope to return the dodgy one. Good service.

Everything I have said has been said many times on every page of this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

mewso wrote: »
    No offence to either of the above two posters but it's like every other post before you never existed. There are countless posts where people talk about what they consider the best model to buy, where to buy in Ireland, the fact that buying from an Irish site is usually next day delivery and so on.

Currently the eGo standard, eGo Mega or the eGo Tank are considered the best options starting out. It's impossible to know which will be best for a specific person so you have to dive in and try it. All I will say is that the Tank is the simplest and easiest to use. It's very new though and from what I can see can have problems but you must realise before buying that every component of an e-cig should be considered disposable. Most of the time they work great but if a battery/attomiser/cartridge is not working then return it or buy another.

There are a couple of good Irish options now:-

http://www.thevapourstore.ie/
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/

I've bought from both with next day delivery (assuming you order early on the day before) and they have been fine. A friend at work bought the tank last week from the vapour store and had problems with one of the atomisers. She emailed them and they immediately sent out a replacement atomiser with an envelope to return the dodgy one. Good service.

Everything I have said has been said many times on every page of this thread.

I wish people would take the time to read the thread ,Many posters have said which is the best over and over ,including myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sky35

Thanks to both of you for your replies, I'd like to let you both know I have read the entire thread which took me hours but as a total beginner to electronic cigarettes, I found that theres a huge amount of information which I didn't understand. However, I have ordered the Joye eGo Starter Kit (510 version) some Joye tobacco E-Liquid and some blank cartridges from The Vapour Store so I should have them on Tuesday and fingers crossed it will help me get off the fags finally. Another question, has anyone tried to give up the E-Cig at any stage? I really am hoping that I will be able to wean myself off that after a while and be entirely nicotine free for the first time in 20 years :):):) I'm sure I'll be back during the week with teething problems and I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

sky35 wrote: »
    Thanks to both of you for your replies, I'd like to let you both know I have read the entire thread which took me hours but as a total beginner to electronic cigarettes, I found that theres a huge amount of information which I didn't understand. However, I have ordered the Joye eGo Starter Kit (510 version) some Joye tobacco E-Liquid and some blank cartridges from The Vapour Store so I should have them on Tuesday and fingers crossed it will help me get off the fags finally. Another question, has anyone tried to give up the E-Cig at any stage? I really am hoping that I will be able to wean myself off that after a while and be entirely nicotine free for the first time in 20 years :):):) I'm sure I'll be back during the week with teething problems and I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks again.

A good choice and you'll get plenty of advice in here if you have any problems or questions about it. I haven't tried to quit e-cigs so I can't say how easy it is but I wouldn't worry too much if you don't do it as niccotine is the lesser of all evils in cigarettes and is essentially a stimulant like caffeine. Obviously in an ideal world we wouldn't be addicted to it but in an ideal world I'd be a millionaire.

Personally I haven't tried to quit ecigs and am happy enough just not to be smoking and enjoying the benefits. I'm quite content to keep vaping long term.

It should be possible by slowly reducing the nicotine level in the juice you use to gradually wean yourself off nicotine if that is your goal. There was someone who posted earlier in the thread who did just that but continues to use the ecig with zero nicotine juice to satisfy the hand to mouth thing.

Best of luck with your new kit, hope it goes well for you and if you have any questions ask away

You're doing the right thing with the eGo ,I can tell you from experience it's probably the best on the market .I have the mega verion too and the tank ,I found after a couple of months menthol was my all day vape.Hope this helps:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mann

. Another question, has anyone tried to give up the E-Cig at any stage?.

I'm happy to tell you a friend of mine who smoked 30+ a day started using the ego 2 weeks ago and he has told me that he has gone down to just using the vaporizer about 4 times a day... this makes me feel that for him just knowing its there when he needs it is enough so i reckon he will be trying to stop altogether soon :)

But for me... I think its more adictive than "crack" but i love it :D

I have just ordered 3 x 30ml of low strength juice “11” and I’m now thinking it may be too weak to give me enough TH to keep me happy… can I add some of the strong nicotine to this so as to bring it back up to about 18 which is what I’m using at the moment.

Thanks to memso and all the folk on here i have now convinced 3 other people to start on the vaporizers and things are lookin good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

mann wrote: »
    I'm happy to tell you a friend of mine who smoked 30+ a day started using the ego 2 weeks ago and he has told me that he has gone down to just using the vaporizer about 4 times a day... this makes me feel that for him just knowing its there when he needs it is enough so i reckon he will be trying to stop altogether soon :)

But for me... I think its more adictive than "crack" but i love it :D

I have just ordered 3 x 30ml of low strength juice “11” and I’m now thinking it may be too weak to give me enough TH to keep me happy… can I add some of the strong nicotine to this so as to bring it back up to about 18 which is what I’m using at the moment.

Thanks to memso and all the folk on here i have now convinced 3 other people to start on the vaporizers and things are lookin good :)

Yeah, I'm kinda similar. I just, well, actually enjoy vaping. It wasn't an unpleasant or pleasure free replacement for smoking (which is why I think it worked getting me off the fags where the patch etc didn't). In fact after nearly 8 months vaping, I'm extremely happy being a vaper and look forward to technology and new liquids improving the experience.

I also went through the thread but i guess its a case of jumping in and doing it then asking questions. Just one more thing before I buy, I currently spend 20 euro a week on two bags of Amber leaf, filters etc. Would I be spending any more of that topping up? How much a month do you guys spend?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

a 20ml bottle costs about 10-11 euro from thevapourstore, and the prices elsewhere are in or around that too.

it really depends on how much you vape, but I would think I've used 25-30ml a month and I vape almost constantly. it's hard to know exactly cos I mix and match from a few different bottles. but I have been vaping now for about 3 months and a few weeks, and im pretty sure out of all my six 30ml bottles of ejuice I have 3 bottles of juice left between them all.

a 20ml bottle costs about 10-11 euro from thevapourstore, and the prices elsewhere are in or around that too.

it really depends on how much you vape, but I would think I've used 25-30ml a month and I vape almost constantly. it's hard to know exactly cos I mix and match from a few different bottles. but I have been vaping now for about 3 months and a few weeks, and im pretty sure out of all my six 30ml bottles of ejuice I have 3 bottles of juice left between them all.

Thats not bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

Really enjoying my mk11 screwdriver, been off the analogues (as ye seem to call them here :) ) for 3 days now and I'm delighted.

I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can get pre-filled cartridges for it?

I just think they would be handy for nights out, i.e no need for topping up.

Or have you any other suggestions or experiences in relation to this...

Really enjoying my mk11 screwdriver, been off the analogues (as ye seem to call them here :) ) for 3 days now and I'm delighted.

I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can get pre-filled cartridges for it?

Well once you know what connection you have - 510/901? Maybe the mkII is 510 only. I don't know. If you are happy with cartridges then why change but the Tank is very handy for going out.

You could just refill the cartridges that you already have, buying juice is a lot cheaper than buying filled cartridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Opit

My ProVari has been shipped today :D
    Very long lead time (ordered 31.01.2011). Should be here in 3-4 days. Can't wait to vape with this baby :P
    Scott did nice review of ProVari here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7IZANS3cas
    Here is new mod Darwin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffYLlfpSfdk for only 300$ :eek:

Opit wrote: »
    My ProVari has been shipped today :D
    Very long lead time (ordered 31.01.2011). Should be here in 3-4 days. Can't wait to vape with this baby :P
    Scott did nice review of ProVari here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7IZANS3cas
    Here is new mod Darwin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffYLlfpSfdk for only 300$ :eek:

Hmm ordered mine on the 5th, so hopefully will ship soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

puttputt wrote: »
    You could just refill the cartridges that you already have, buying juice is a lot cheaper than buying filled cartridges.

I do refill, it's just that if I was going out then I wouldn't be refilling in the pub, just thought it would be handy to have a pre-filled sealed one in my pocket just in case...

Having a really bad day, bought a pack of cigarettes. Didn't even get half way through the first one before I threw it away. Not happy about breaking down and buying a pack, happy with my reaction to a cigarette.

nesf wrote: »
    Having a really bad day, bought a pack of cigarettes. Didn't even get half way through the first one before I threw it away. Not happy about breaking down and buying a pack, happy with my reaction to a cigarette.

Glad you threw it away. Taste bad? I'm proud of the fact that since January last year I have had a box of 20 (last purchase before getting the e-cig) in the cupboard and have never felt the need to go near them.

* edit - how does that affect the legitimacy of your banner? :) Don't kick yourself over it in any case. Half a cigarette is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Glad you threw it away. Taste bad? I'm proud of the fact that since January last year I have had a box of 20 (last purchase before getting the e-cig) in the cupboard and have never felt the need to go near them.

Taste was mildly unpleasant, more that I was getting very little from it enjoyment wise. Just not enjoying vaping at the moment but if my choice is smoking or vaping and not enjoying either then vaping is the easy choice.

Edit: Banner will be reset if I ever spend a day or a night out smoking. Half a cig on a bad day doesn't bother me much.

Just not enjoying vaping at the moment

Just a general dissatisfaction or is the device you are using not doing it for you/bad flavour?

Just a general dissatisfaction or is the device you are using not doing it for you/bad flavour?

Nothing is satisfying me. Different devices, atomiser types, juices etc. Having real trouble tasting anything at all except for very strong menthol juices.

Bear in mind, am chronically mentally ill so have issues that effect taste, ability to feel pleasure and other stuff going on. My juices, atomisers and devices are probably all fine and it's all in my head.

Nothing is satisfying me. Different devices, atomiser types, juices etc. Having real trouble tasting anything at all except for very strong menthol juices.

Bear in mind, am chronically mentally ill so have issues that effect taste, ability to feel pleasure and other stuff going on. My juices, atomisers and devices are probably all fine and it's all in my head.

Sorry to hear it. Hopefully it will improve. I have gone through patches of it not satisfying me but they haven't lasted long and of course I haven't been struggling with other problems. Perfectly understandable to fall off the wagon in those circumstances though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

K lads. Sink The Banana put me onto this thread so I have a couple of questions, sorry if they have been asked 50 times before but it's a big ass thread and I read as much as I could, skimmed up to about page 20something.

First, I'm going for this http://www.thevapourstore.ie/joye-ego/joye-ego-starter-kit-510-version-/prod_245.html seems to be the most popular for beginners going by the thread. Would anyone advise against that or is it still a good bet, good value and all that?

I'm also going to pick up a pack of juice, this one http://www.thevapourstore.ie/standard-e-cigarette-liquid/virgina-e-liquid/prod_194.html . Just wondering if anyone had tried the flavour and what they thought? I'm aiming for something close to real tobacco. Also will I be able to use the juice by pouring it into the empty cartridges you get with the starter pack once they are used up? Or will I have to buy the blank cartridges they sell extra as well? Can you keep re-using a blank cartridge or are they single use and then dispose?

My main question though is after the initial purchase how much do people find themselves spending? I know everyone uses different amounts of juice or whatever but in terms of the batteries and the atomizers and all that?

I only ask because I smoke quite a good bit and will mainly be switching to a vapouriser (hopefully) for health reasons but I get my tobacco pretty cheap. Spend 10-12 a week on average max. So that would work out to about 570 a year or so. On that site they give the cost of running a vapouriser at 820 a year http://www.thevapourstore.ie/savings/info_7.html and presumably that is the bare minimum they are giving to make the savings seem as good as possible. I mean if it is going to cost me something like double what I spend on tobacco then, well, my lungs have been holding their own so far all these years........

So what does your average spending hit a month, a year?

Cheers kids.

Cheers strobe BTW I have the messaging thing sorted.

You're buying the eGo ,fair play great e-cig ,I would recommend trying out the standard menthol liquid after your tobacco liquids.It takes a day or two to adjust but you will enjoy it over the real thing ,that is a fact ,oh and also you'll get your health back!

Pm me if you have any questions..

Edit: I spend 12:50 per week for liquid rather than 80 euro for cigarettes!

• Advertisement

strobe wrote: »
    First, I'm going for this http://www.thevapourstore.ie/joye-ego/joye-ego-starter-kit-510-version-/prod_245.html seems to be the most popular for beginners going by the thread. Would anyone advise against that or is it still a good bet, good value and all that?

Good choice. All I will say is if it doesn't fit the bill for you there are alternatives. The eGo tank is probably the best at the moment for a starter imo.
    I'm also going to pick up a pack of juice, this one http://www.thevapourstore.ie/standard-e-cigarette-liquid/virgina-e-liquid/prod_194.html . Just wondering if anyone had tried the flavour and what they thought? I'm aiming for something close to real tobacco. Also will I be able to use the juice by pouring it into the empty cartridges you get with the starter pack once they are used up? Or will I have to buy the blank cartridges they sell extra as well? Can you keep re-using a blank cartridge or are they single use and then dispose?

Never tried it I'm afraid. Don't expect it to be anyhting like Virginia though. Flavours are a toughie but again for beginners I like their Joye Tobacco liquid.
    My main question though is after the initial purchase how much do people find themselves spending? I know everyone uses different amounts of juice or whatever but in terms of the batteries and the atomizers and all that?

I only ask because I smoke quite a good bit and will mainly be switching to a vapouriser (hopefully) for health reasons but I get my tobacco pretty cheap. Spend 10-12 a week on average max. So that would work out to about 570 a year or so. On that site they give the cost of running a vapouriser at 820 a year http://www.thevapourstore.ie/savings/info_7.html and presumably that is the bare minimum they are giving to make the savings seem as good as possible. I mean if it is going to cost me something like double what I spend on tobacco then, well, my lungs have been holding their own so far all these years........

So what does your average spending hit a month, a year?

Cheers kids.

I have spend far too much because it's become a hobby. Depending on your approach you will be spending a similar amount a week to your smoking ignoring the initial outlay on the device plus the replacement atomisers from time to time. I'm not really the person to ask though since I would pay triple what I spent on cigs to be off them in this kind of way. i.e. doing something that not only replaces cigs but betters them.

Advertisement