Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ok.. I'm officially buying a car - wanna help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As for the DB9, does anyone else think they are starting to look a little dated these days? The interior is shocking, very bland.
    I don't expect much thanks for this, but I think the DB9 is going to follow the DB7 and the Jaguar XK into sheepskin jacket country in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

If its depreciation you wanna beat then, Classic is the only way to go!! (Id go for a 60's 911)

As for the DB9, does anyone else think they are starting to look a little dated these days? The interior is shocking, very bland.

S.

Perma Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Well, I just can't wait to see what you are going to do Mark. Has the coment/chat/opinion on here helped you at all?
    No matter what anyone says, you will have to be happy with your decision when you make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

I'd just feel too out of my depth in an Aston Martin at the moment.

I'm a normal guy at the end of the day, a normal enough job and the people I see driving Astons live on Ailesbury Road, own about 15 apartments and go away to their yacht in Marbella.

A 911 in lots of ways is a safe enough car with the best of many worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭carrollmark

Mark,

Does it absolutly have to be a coupe?

Would an M5 or an RS4 be an option?

I seem to recall you're not a TT fan but there are some beautiful TTS's in the UK

I think this one looks stunning

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/825981.htm

And you'd have plenty of change out of 80k to bring all your consultants in this thread on the lash to celebrate your purchase :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

And you'd have plenty of change out of 80k to bring all your consultants in this thread on the lash to celebrate your purchase :D

No thanks, I'd be taking a raincheck on that. There's staving kids in this world,homeless on the streets, mass umemployment,banks going to the wall, etc etc, and the OP wants to spend 80k in these recessionary times on a car he does'nt really, really need. I know its his own choice blah blah blah, and not to post if you don't have a car to suggest yada yada yada, but I like to choose my company carefully and would not "go on the lash" with people of this standing and ethos. Sorry.

i now await a barage of the usual crapology...........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

So much to comment here, really, some trite, some with insight, so apologies for all the toes, but here goes: (hey, that rhymes !) :D

The 'only a D-plate' thing is, frankly, condescending.

That 964 Turbo is overpriced. It's an old car, in an even older design. Your 335 will appear like Starship Entertrprise, in comparison. And most SO's would prefer the 3-series.......

To trade 'down' to an 80k car in an effort to save on depreciation, whilst aspiring to something that depreciates even more, and faster, is misguided.

Hoping to do so, by insisting on a trade, means your field is narrower than you thought. And despite the nay-sayers, having a local trade will be useful for when the supercar throws a hissy fit. And it will. :(

Most practical supercar - 911. It's new-found blandness, especially in a slate grey/similar, will keep it (relatively) off the radar, whilst retaining all the qualities you aspire to. Performance, cachet. A manual one will still cost you, to own (clutches at 50k miles). It does have rear seats (which kids do fit in to), it has front boot (which takes a buggy, btw..), it is civilised, reasonable on juice, and whilst still depreciating like a stone (compared to a Focus, anyhoo...), it scores better than M6's etc. However, they are still big numbers, and not for the fainthearted. But at least you'll enjoy the financial flogging ! :D It'll never suffer from the 'is it an M3 or just a kitted 318' type of second takes.......

Any post Jan 1 08 reg'd supercar will cost you 2k a year to tax, but, more importantly, relegates it as unsaleable (?) down the road. Who'll want a 5yr old 2k p.a. tax car? So add that in to the mix.

And this is where the likes of M6's will end up. Like those 80's /90's 635's etc...seen the prices of those, lately ? I don't buy that all their particular technology is a +, either. In fact, possibly the contrary. You will be confined to a knowledgeable dealer for the inevitable bugs. This is all well and good in a very recent cars, but looking to sell yours down the road, then you will have to figure that into depreciation, too.

RS5 a good compromise, but a 3.0 Tdi Quattro one is the sleeper of the bunch.

The other choice, alluded to here a few times, is probably the Alfa of the Supercar world - Maserati. Curiously, the Quattroporte, a 4-door, is one of the few cars where the 4-door offering is a genuine alternative to any coupe, with none of the drawbacks. An M5 doesn't come close. If I really had to fulfil a bigger-than-a-pure-coupe role, than I can't think of much that could tick as many boxes.

So, I've probably stood on enough toes with that much, so it'll be interesting to see where you go from there.

For pure coupe, I'd gravitate to the A-M, but if you are true to your goals of low profile, reasonable running costs etc, then realistically, it can't make the list.

Cayman - top car, especially in the right colour - there's an 08 Cayman 'Black' or 'Dark' spec edition down here, and it is truly fabulous. If you never need the back seats, then it is closer to being what the 911 wants to be than a.........911 ....:confused: if you follow me....

There is emiment sensible-ness in the approach that if you 'nearly' afford the car you truly want, it wouldn't be a bad idea to hang a little longer, and let them fall within your grasp. It'll happen faster than you can amass the cash to bridge the gap, I'd imagine. Er, I think ?

...there again, these are cars, which are highly emotive for a lot of us, so if you're like me, you'll talk yourself into anything, and all reasonableness will jump out the window once you're standing in front of, or sitting in, the 911/Cayman/Maser/A-M etc. Heck, it'll be impossible to talk you OUT of it. :) It is my 'Motors' exists in the first place, though !

And, given the climate, good luck with the hunt, though, and enjoy it ! :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

No thanks, I'd be taking a raincheck on that. There's staving kids in this world,homeless on the streets, mass umemployment,banks going to the wall, etc etc, and the OP wants to spend 80k in these recessionary times on a car he does'nt really, really need. I know its his own choice blah blah blah, and not to post if you don't have a car to suggest yada yada yada, but I like to choose my company carefully and would not "go on the lash" with people of this standing and ethos. Sorry.

Go somewhere else will ya

OK, here goes, seeing as you asked for it..........

Today, BMW announced the temp lay off of 26,000 workers in Germany. VW 55,200 workers. Kostal in Abbeyfeale and Mallow, who make a lot of Electronics for those companies, are losing 100's. Ditto Iralco in Meath - purveyors of that classic interior trim for Aston-Martin, etc.

And those job losses are directly attributable to people spending LESS on cars, so, technically, for those who have the capacity (Salut, MarkN), then I'd considerate nothing short of his social RESPONSIBILITY to spend his money, and keep those 10,000's of people in work, food and housing.

Which part of the 'circle' do you not comprehend ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    So much to comment here, really, some trite, some with insight, so apologies for all the toes, but here goes: (hey, that rhymes !) :D

The 'only a D-plate' thing is, frankly, condescending.

That 964 Turbo is overpriced. It's an old car, in an even older design. Your 335 will appear like Starship Entertrprise, in comparison. And most SO's would prefer the 3-series.......

To trade 'down' to an 80k car in an effort to save on depreciation, whilst aspiring to something that depreciates even more, and faster, is misguided.

Hoping to do so, by insisting on a trade, means your field is narrower than you thought. And despite the nay-sayers, having a local trade will be useful for when the supercar throws a hissy fit. And it will. :(

Most practical supercar - 911. It's new-found blandness, especially in a slate grey/similar, will keep it (relatively) off the radar, whilst retaining all the qualities you aspire to. Performance, cachet. A manual one will still cost you, to own (clutches at 50k miles). It does have rear seats (which kids do fit in to), it has front boot (which takes a buggy, btw..), it is civilised, reasonable on juice, and whilst still depreciating like a stone (compared to a Focus, anyhoo...), it scores better than M6's etc. However, they are still big numbers, and not for the fainthearted. But at least you'll enjoy the financial flogging ! :D It'll never suffer from the 'is it an M3 or just a kitted 318' type of second takes.......

Any post Jan 1 08 reg'd supercar will cost you 2k a year to tax, but, more importantly, relegates it as unsaleable (?) down the road. Who'll want a 5yr old 2k p.a. tax car? So add that in to the mix.

And this is where the likes of M6's will end up. Like those 80's /90's 635's etc...seen the prices of those, lately ? I don't buy that all their particular technology is a +, either. In fact, possibly the contrary. You will be confined to a knowledgeable dealer for the inevitable bugs. This is all well and good in a very recent cars, but looking to sell yours down the road, then you will have to figure that into depreciation, too.

RS5 a good compromise, but a 3.0 Tdi Quattro one is the sleeper of the bunch.

The other choice, alluded to here a few times, is probably the Alfa of the Supercar world - Maserati. Curiously, the Quattroporte, a 4-door, is one of the few cars where the 4-door offering is a genuine alternative to any coupe, with none of the drawbacks. An M5 doesn't come close. If I really had to fulfil a bigger-than-a-pure-coupe role, than I can't think of much that could tick as many boxes.

So, I've probably stood on enough toes with that much, so it'll be interesting to see where you go from there.

For pure coupe, I'd gravitate to the A-M, but if you are true to your goals of low profile, reasonable running costs etc, then realistically, it can't make the list.

Cayman - top car, especially in the right colour - there's an 08 Cayman 'Black' or 'Dark' spec edition down here, and it is truly fabulous. If you never need the back seats, then it is closer to being what the 911 wants to be than a.........911 ....:confused: if you follow me....

There is emiment sensible-ness in the approach that if you 'nearly' afford the car you truly want, it wouldn't be a bad idea to hang a little longer, and let them fall within your grasp. It'll happen faster than you can amass the cash to bridge the gap, I'd imagine. Er, I think ?

...there again, these are cars, which are highly emotive for a lot of us, so if you're like me, you'll talk yourself into anything, and all reasonableness will out the window once you're standing in front of, or sitting in, the 911/Cayman/Maser/A-M etc. Heck, it'll be impossible to talk you OUT of it. :)

And, given the climate, good luck with the hunt, though, and enjoy it ! :)

Great post G-TT. Cheers for taking the time to write it.

I'm thinking two options here, well three, from all your advice.

Porsche, A5 2.0T/3.0TDI (the sensible option) or keep the 335 (not really in my plans). TTS came into my sights today but I don't think it'll match up to the 335 and that is what I need its replacement to do, at the very least.

If something else came along for the right money I'd look at it but I think for what I want the best possible option for me is a 911 if I can source a good one for the money I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,688 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Banned for a week.
    fryup wrote: »
    80k for a car...is that all??

skin flint:rolleyes:

Banned for a week.

The TTS will fail the 4-seat test, but in all other respect I think it's a fine car,and won't dissapoint. I'd push the boat out on the spec and colour - pearl white with magma red leather comes to mind (saw one in Germany in that combo......OMG )

A5 would be next in line. Has to be a nice spec and DSG (S-tronic)...or whatever they're calling it this month. Saw a fab red one w/grey interior lately. Gorgous. S5 astonishing, but not a 2k year tax. A pre-owned on the 'old' tax would be palatable, and be a perfect match for you 335. Don't see how it saves you money though !! Your 335 so well does what you actually want, I wonder if you realise it yet !

911.........well, I've a soft spot for them, and if I can, hope to go to a 996 in the foreseeable future. I know they've a poxy leaky engine, but like I said, where cars are concerned.......all logic goes out the window......:P

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭road_2_damascus

MarkN wrote: »
    Before I start, if you don't have a car suggestion or don't love cars, then don't reply. :D
    • I'm setting a limit of €80,000.
    • It can be no older than 2006 and it can be anywhere between there and 2009.
    • It has to be a coupe (that rules out the M5 and RS4 suggestions!) and it has to be either RWD or AWD.
    • It probably has to be petrol.
    What you think lads?

LISTEN to me PLEASE... I know its your money and you can do what you like... but if you are a serious poster, and this is not a prank (im suspicious that it is... 'D reg' remark etc). Was speaking with an empty head last week that spent 60,000 on a BMW last year.. he went to try and sell it recently and the highest offer he gat was a little over 30,000.
    Now, wouldnt an option be to buy a house for yourself in Southern Italy and spend the change on a Peugot... a fool and their money are easily parted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

What about the TT TDi. Supposed to be a great..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

What about the TT TDi. Supposed to be a great..

...you're not wrong there. 170bhp, loadsatorque, 139gCO2/km.

And, in the UK, only 29,700 off the shelf. (saw one in King's Lynn, Norfolk, in December - and that price included VAT at 17.% - so was due to come down ! :eek: )

That's one cheap/nice/sensible/cool car, all in one !

Fug me, I'd have one !

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

I think that M6 coming up the whole time is a sign lol. Seems to fit the bill.

LISTEN to me PLEASE... I know its your money and you can do what you like... but if you are a serious poster, and this is not a prank (im suspicious that it is... 'D reg' remark etc). Was speaking with an empty head last week that spent 60,000 on a BMW last year.. he went to try and sell it recently and the highest offer he gat was a little over 30,000.
    Now, wouldnt an option be to buy a house for yourself in Southern Italy and spend the change on a Peugot... a fool and their money are easily parted :D

And another one weeks ban for you too.

crumbs, is there a record for no of bannings in a single thread ? :eek:

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Cool thread, will be interesting to see what the OP buys (if anything!).
    It seems you're not gonna go for an Aston, and i can deffo see why, but put it this way.. If a 911 passed me on the street, no matter what year or spec, I'd glance, think "mm" but no more.
    If a DB9 passed me on the street, I'd stop in my tracks and reach for my little P&S camera, and probably omit an audible "Pfhwuuuuar"...

I see you're trying to beat depreciation, but spending 80K to drive a 2.0TDi seems pretty depressing to me TBH..
    Depreciation will be highest in the likes of the DB9, Bently Continental, M6.
    But I can't see the E90 M3 depreciating as fast? There aren't that many of them on the road yet, it'd be definitely my next choice after the Aston - again a definite head turner.

galwaytt wrote: »
    crumbs, is there a record for no of bannings in a single thread ? :eek:

Well i think it's fair going. It might deter timewasters in future. We're here to talk motors, let that be it. Fair play Unkel.

cianclarke wrote: »
    But I can't see the E90 M3 depreciating as fast? There aren't that many of them on the road yet, it'd be definitely my next choice after the Aston - again a definite head turner.

.....well, fine car and all as the E90M3 is, it's still going to suffer from the 'is it a real M3 or just a kitted 318 ' syndrome. There's one down the road from me, and it's nice but....... I see no point in changing a 335 for and M3, tbh.....

Sure, the DB would shout it from the treetops.........but OP asked to NOT shout it from the treetops. 911 is subtley in between...........

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Hey Mark,

Fair play, if you want a change, why not? Money is there to be spent, and you have to live it how you want.

Personally, I reckon that in the current state of things, your 335i is worth about 40-42k on a trade, so you're looking at about double the cost of your current car to trade up to something that in the real world, isn't going to be that faster (Well certainly not enough to justify the cost)

I'd have a look into getting a DMS remap on the current car. It'll make it feel like a new car with 60+ Bhp and the warranty will be up sometime this year so no worries on that front.

If you really want rid of the car, i'd just say f*ck it, and get a 2008 dodge challenger 6.1 Hemi.

There'll be nothing else like it on the road.

Nice write up in the Irish Times motoring section today about the newly tweaked Cayman S.

A Porsche for fiscally-challenged times

FIRSTDRIVE PORSCHE CAYMAN S: The Cayman has long played second fiddle to the 911, but Kyle Fortune finds that it's no longer the poor relation

A POOR MAN’S 911. That’s what many called the Cayman when it was introduced in 2005. The thing is, there’s always been a feeling that, with more power, the 3.4-litre, mid-engined Cayman S could give its rear-engined relative a real fright.

The standard Cayman, with its 2.7-litre engine and relatively modest output of 241bhp underlined the fact that the package was right, combining mid-engined poise, beautiful steering and a friendly, yet involving driving experience. The more powerful S got so near to greatness but always felt a bit reigned in to protect 911 sales.

That’s no longer the case. With new revisions to the Cayman range for 2009, the mid-engined upstart now has the measure of its rear-engined relative. The entry-level Cayman sees its engine increase in capacity to 2.9 litres and its output increase to a slightly healthier 261bhp. But it’s the Cayman S that makes all but the most extreme 911 models look unnecessary. Its engine capacity remains the same, at 3.4 litres, but the addition of direct injection allows it to deliver 315bhp.

Porsche hasn’t just upped the power either, as it’s also fitted the twin-clutch PDK automatic transmission that debuted recently on the 911. Opt for that transmission – and add the Sport Chrono pack to the specification – and the Cayman S can reach 100km/h in just 4.9 seconds. That’s as fast as the 3.6-litre 911 Carrera and only 0.2 seconds slower than the Carrera S. Really, unless you need the 911’s extra seats, the Cayman S is all the Porsche you could ask for.

At its Spanish launch, Porsche only brought along range-topping Cayman S models, every single one fitted with the two-pedal PDK transmission. All but three parked outside the venue were fitted with a limited-slip differential, too. That’s hugely significant, as now Porsche is not only offering the Cayman with 911-rivalling pace, but that limited-slip differential should take its already fantastic handling to a new level.

When the Cayman was launched in 2005, Porsche categorically said it wouldn’t offer it with a limited-slip differential. Apparently customers didn’t need it, though clearly the real reason was to protect the 911.

After driving the new Cayman S with its limited-slip differential it’s clear to see why Porsche held back. The Cayman S has always impressed dynamically but the new car, with the optional differential, is sensational. The roads in Spain are slick with muck from farmers’ tractors and some unseasonal rain, but the Cayman S is devastatingly effective at covering them, shrugging off the conditions with utter impunity.

Revisions to the steering have improved the consistency of its weighting without robbing it of the crisp response and the clarity of information it provides. Turn the chunky wheel and the Cayman S seems to pivot around its centre, the rich flow of information telegraphing through the steering wheel allowing you to lean hard with real confidence through the bends. The tighter rear allows the Cayman S to better exploit its increased output. It feels significantly faster through and on the exit of bends.

When it does reach and breach its high levels of grip, it’s so easy to catch and control that exiting corners with a touch of corrective lock on the steering becomes second nature.

What’s never natural is the operation of the trick PDK transmission. It might be faster at shifting than a skilled driver with the six-speed manual, but all too often it’s a case of “transmission knows best” – leaving you frustrated with its decisions. The push-me-pull-me switches on the steering wheel spokes are hopeless too, Porsche insisting that it’s just us journalists, rather than customers, who have an issue with it. I seriously doubt that. Press the Sport or Sport Plus modes and it’s impossible to access the seventh ratio, meaning you’re forever messing with the settings on a mixed route drive – the merest brush of the accelerator having the PDK shifting down and raising revs unnecessarily.

It really doesn’t need to drop a gear as often as the gearbox does in these modes, as the direct-injected 3.4-litre engine has plenty of urgency in its mid-range. Peak torque of 370Nm arrives at 4,750rpm, though there’s real punch from as low as 1,500rpm right up to the 7,500rpm redline. While the fitting of the direct injection system has robbed the 911 relative of some of its aural appeal, with the engine so close to you in the Cayman’s interior it’s still clear of voice – albeit slightly muted and a touch more civilised.

Civilised but still glorious, the 3.4-litre engine is one of Porsche’s finest. With its increased pace, it turns the Cayman S into a very rapid car. Helping achieve and maintain its pace is the improved ride and body control. With optional PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) the Cayman S delivers phenomenal poise and precision, mixed with remarkable ride quality. The Cayman S really is a car you can drive every day in comfort.

It’s practical, too – for a two-seat sports car – and the addition of direct injection has allowed Porsche to increase power without raising emissions and consumption; both the PDK and manual Cayman S models come in at under 225g/km and return around 9.4l/100km on the combined cycle.

It’s a car for our fiscally-challenged times then – perhaps being poorer is no bad thing, if it means you have to drive the new Cayman, rather than a 911.

Factfile Porsche Cayman S PDK

Engine : 3.4 flat-six petrol.

Peak power : 315bhp at 7,200rpm

Peak torque : 370Nm at 4,750rpm

Transmission : seven-speed automatic, rear-wheel-drive

0-100km/h : 5.1 seconds

Top speed : 250km/h

CO2 emissions : 221g/km

Combined cycle fuel economy : 9.4 litres/100km

Price : €98,805

Thanks Unkel - would've been the sensible thing to do on my part. :o
    markos79 wrote: »
    why does it have to be 2006 and up?

I was hoping to stretch it over 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

unkel wrote: »
    Price : €98,805

And only 1050quid motor tax (<225g/km), impressive alright.

'07 Caymen in Merlin car auctions btw, along with a Bently Continental GT.

Can you stretch to a new one, Mark?

All new cars depreciate like hell, but a Porsche less than most (i.e. the Boxster is the slowest depreciating car of the past decade in relative terms). The low tax of the new direct injection model Cayman S (€1k instead of €2k) will make it easier to sell on too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

IMHO, if you're going down the A5/S5 option, I'd plump for the A5 3.0TDi Tiptronic.
    It's nearly as fast as the S5, and is just as much fun to drive.
    The only thing you'd be missing is the engine noise, but you'll pay a lot (in purchase price, running costs and depreciation) for that noise.
    I'd also be careful if you do decide to buy the S5 - I'd consider an auto to be far more desirable than a manual when you come to sell it (that's just my opinion though).

Some serious cars here, and you're lucky to have the choice, but I think changing car so soon to another high value/high performance/high desirability car will just exascerbate the problem.

My 2c

Advertisement