semper currere - Page 26 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-03-2014, 21:23   #376
scriba

Wed 19/3/2014

Distance Time Avg Pace Climb Avg HR
5.27 km 36:42 6:58/km 62 140

Short run with my partner. Felt good to get out and clear away mental cobwebs. Plan tomorrow is 60 mins @ 155 bpm, if I get a couple of hours to myself.

Month Runs Wk Month Year
Mar 6 13.86 km 57.83 km 205.87 km
Advertisement
29-05-2014, 09:24   #377
Pacing Mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriba View Post
Ha, I never piss off. I slink or slither away into the shadows.
Oi slinky ! Where the feck are you ?
28-07-2014, 10:50   #378
scriba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacing Mule View Post
Oi slinky ! Where the feck are you ?
Lol. Just saw this now! I'm base building with strictly easy runs at the moment. Will log the results, when I'm ready to target a race.
Thanks from:
01-11-2014, 22:54   #379
outforarun

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriba View Post
Will log the results, when I'm ready to target a race.
You ready yet?
(2) thanks from:
02-11-2014, 02:05   #380
scriba

Quote:
Originally Posted by outforarun View Post
You ready yet?
Definitely not! I've spent the last three months getting married, not running, cycling (gasp! Strictly commuting!) and putting on a load of weight.

All the more reason to resurrect this log, exposing my shameful return to square one (yet again), and charting my umpteenth attempt at getting into decent running condition.

I was doing some of easy effort running earlier in the year, with no races or tangible goals. Ended up being a complete waste of time for me, my heart wasn't in it, I wasn't feeling fitter, happier, or more productive, and once I got busy with life stuff, running just fell by the wayside. Right now, I've hit my runner's rock bottom.

So I'm back running this week, 3 runs so far, with a 'long' run tomorrow morning to follow, 5 or 6 miles tops. Goal is to be at 30 miles a week by Christmas, with long run to have reached 10 miles. Goal race is Ballycotton 10, target time will be a PB (sub 75:53, a world away at the moment, but I need a hard target if I'm going to slog all winter). After that, it'll be half marathons or shorter for the year, I'd say. I'll look at beginning marathon training this time next year off that base.

The consistent themes in my running since CCM 13 have been lack of focus and lack of balls. Time to get both back.

Last edited by scriba; 02-11-2014 at 09:00.
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
02-11-2014, 13:47   #381
scriba

Ballycotton 2015 - week 1 (Oct 27th to Nov 2nd)

I have 19 weeks to train for this race, including this week just passing. I'm going to build my base for the first 9 or 10 weeks, and then introduce some distance-specific sessions in the build up to the race. After that, I'll target a half marathon sometime in April or May.

Switching to imperial measurements for imperially measured races.

Tue 28th
3.55 miles in 37:17 (10:30/mile)
I hadn't run in months, so the first thing I needed to do was to figure out roughly where I was at. I hid the GPS and set off to run my short door-to-door loop at a comfortably tough pace, judging by how it felt. Splits were 10:12, 10:40 (uphill), 10:09 (downhill), 6:17 [11:26 pace, warm down uphill].

Thurs 30th
2.31 miles in 31:39 (13:42/mile)
Had hilariously bad DOMS from Tuesday, which ruled Wednesday out. I couldn't let another day slide. I had planned to do the same 3.55 mile loop, but my legs didn't like the sound of the inclines. So I compromised, and did laps of the back garden instead (about 1/8 of a mile per lap). This was mentally awful, but I promised myself I could bail after 30 mins of recovery running.

Sat 1st Nov
3.57 miles in 40:02 (11:13/mile)
Recovery run seemed to have gotten rid of most of the DOMS. Weather was awful, but I was looking forward to running, so I headed out anyway. Running in the rain brought back memories of training for CCM 13 in all sorts of weather. It gave me a little jolt of pride that I was that committed to my training, and as I ran on, I felt something of the motivation I felt back then. There must be something to these theories about the mind-body connection, because my whole frame relaxed, my legs felt lighter, and my thoughts uncluttered, against the backdrop of the rattle of raindrops and the splashing of my feet. This is why I began running in the first place, and this run was a wonderful reminder of how good my relationship with running can be.

Sun 2nd Nov
7.01 miles in 1:17:30 (11:03/mile)
My legs were feeling quite light after yesterday, and the sun was shining so I made the most of it. Got a brief soaking during the third mile, but this was very pleasant, easy for the most part, and my legs held up well. The plan was to run 5 miles or 60 mins, but I was feeling good, so changed it to 6.5 miles. It was sheer coincidence that the combination of local routes I took brought me door to door in 7 miles.

Training Block Details
Week Runs Distance Total Runs Total Distance
1/19 4 16.42 4 16.42
(3) thanks from:
03-11-2014, 10:59   #382
outforarun

That's more like it. Welcome back.
Thanks from:
04-11-2014, 16:47   #383
scriba

Ballycotton 2015 - week 2 (Nov 3rd to Nov 9th)

Plan this week is 4 to 5 runs: more base building easy running, some mild tempo work midweek for LT improvement, and an 8 mile long run.

Tue 4th
3.55 miles in 36:49 (10:22/mile)
Bright and fresh late autumn afternoon here in North Kerry, perfect for running, especially in gloves. Threw the GPS in my pocket and just ran. After an easy opening mile, my legs sped up slightly for the uphill second, and a bit more for the downhill third, before slowing up for a warm down. While this was meant to be an easy run, looking at it now, it’s probably more like a tempo run (for me at my current conditioning), with the middle 20 minutes ran at low-end lactic effort/pace. At this early stage of the training block, and at my current fitness levels, it doesn’t really matter what it is, as long as it wasn’t too hard to prevent further training. Which it wasn’t.

Splits were 10:45, 10:24(uphill), 9:31 (downhill), 6:09 [11:09 pace, warm down uphill].

Training Block Details
2/19 1 3.55 5 19.97
Thanks from:
07-11-2014, 13:50   #384
scriba

2:2 Fri 7th
3.54 miles in 35:01 (9:54/mile)

Was up all night Wednesday finishing some assignments, and felt like death yesterday, so today was the next opportune day to get out there.

Changeable weather, so I brought my running cap, threw on some gloves and ran through some lovely sun, slashy wet drizzle, and abusive wind. This was an enjoyable run, I wanted to kick my legs a little so I went a bit quicker than I should have down the hill. Still, I had my fun, and that's all that matters.

I hope to get a short run in tomorrow morning before I head to Caaaark, and the plan is for 8+ miles on Sunday, to bring it up towards 20 miles for this week. Nice, slow, niggle-free, build up of mileage.

Splits were 10:46, 10:12(uphill), 8:14 (downhill), 5:49 [10:48 pace, warm down uphill].

Training Block Details
2/19 2 7.09 6 23.51

Last edited by scriba; 07-11-2014 at 15:48.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion