Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

20p coin (1985) worth anything??

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

It's just the edge we're talking about here, not the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Blade wrote: »
    These are known as "milled edge" pound coins. It's worth about 20 Euro.

I found some at the time back in 1990 and there was an article in the news paper about them, foolishly I never kept the article even though I was advised to. The 2 faces of the coin and the edge milling are struck all at the same time, in one go. Later in phase 2 the security engrailling was added. basically these "milled edge" ones didn't go through phase 2 and escaped into circulation. This wasn't unique to the very first year of 1990, it happened in later years too. You may also notice 2 little marks on opposite ends on the edge where the coin was held in place.

Aww :( Have two of these, was hoping that would be the pension sorted :D

Jake1 wrote: »
    ok thanks,
    but I also wondered is it around face of coin or edge?

thats the one I have so, its around edge not face.

So 20 euro maybe? not bad.
    anyone know any coin dealers who might be interested

also have those two little marks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Jake, but you were saying it had a series of dots around the center of the edge? Then this would not be the milled edge variety.

• Advertisement

Jake, but you were saying it had a series of dots around the center of the edge? Then this would not be the milled edge variety.

Hi hope this clears it up.

When I lay the coin on flat on the table, on the face all around the edge of face, the is series of dots.

When I look at coin from side view, the edge has those lines around it, but for two places where there are grooves.

Yeh I think you're talking about the normal ones. Give me 10 mins I'll upload a pic and clear it up.

Yeh I think you're talking about the normal ones. Give me 10 mins I'll upload a pic and clear it up.

That would be great thanks. My camera is not the best.

Im thinking myself its the not so worthy one :)

ps i have to run an errand soon, so I'll check back later.

Thanks again.

The one on the top is a normal pound coin and the one on the bottom is what a milled edge variety looks like. That's actually a half crown cause I don't know where mine are at the moment, but it looks the same.

http://www.irishcoins.net/Milled%20pound%20coin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

This is a really interesting tread, Thanks OP!

I was wondering if anyone knew if there is somewhere that you can take your coins to be valued.

I have loads of old coins my grandmother had kept for some reason.

There are loads of old pennies, assumably from when we used to use British money. The oldest I can see seems to be from 1862, there a loads of different years up to the 1930's, all different, some with Victoria, some with George and some with Edward, the earlier one's actually have a young Victoria on them and the one's around the turn of te century have the older Victoria on them. There are loads of really old one's also, these were dug up from the garden of a old house we revovated in the UK, it's hard to make out the writing on some of them although one can clearly be made out with a date of 1804.

Loads of others, too many to list.
    By the way does anyone know what year Ireland got it's own currency? I have old Irish coins but the oldest is 1943, probably not worth anythng anyway.
    Thanks
    F

• Advertisement

Is this strange?
    While looking through the box (well old biscuit tin) of coins I found another coin with the same picture of the Young Queen Victoria on, but it's dated 1861 and is a one cent coin. I think it says Novia Scotia on it?? Could this be? it's dirty, is it worthless, will I clean it up to see for sure?
    F

• Registered Users Posts: 18,387 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I "Used" to collect coins, I've about 300 or so in the attic at the home place.
    Is there any definitive site or even shop in Ireland where you could get them valued?

Kippy

Frowzy wrote: »
    By the way does anyone know what year Ireland got it's own currency? I have old Irish coins but the oldest is 1943, probably not worth anythng

Well we got our free state currency in 1928 but there were coins struck in Ireland since 1000 AD. Depends what your 1943 coin is, if it's a half crown or florin it's valuable, if not no :)

Theres coin fairs in the RDS 3 times a year, that's the best place to bring your coins to be valued. Some dealers may not be honest with you if they spot a valuable coin in your lot. Most are honest but it depends who you talk to. The numismatics society have a stand at all the coin fairs and can give you honest valuations.

kippy wrote: »
    I "Used" to collect coins, I've about 300 or so in the attic at the home place.
    Is there any definitive site or even shop in Ireland where you could get them valued?

Kippy

If they are Irish, www.irishcoinage.com or use the information from my last post.

will I clean it up to see for sure?

NEVER EVER clean coins.

Depends what your 1943 coin is, if it's a half crown or florin it's valuable, if not no :)

I wish but unfortunately I only have penny's and half-penny's from 1943. Have an English Half crown from 1948 though, wonder if that's worth anything? Also a British 2 shilling coin...

Would foreign coins be worth anything? I seem to have a lot of french coins for some reason, and I know my grandmother was never there. Some dating back to the 1820's. One with Napoleon III on it.

I also have a special edition coin which was issued by the Midland Bank in 1981 to celebrate the marriage of Charles and Diana, I don't suppose it's old enough to be worth anything but does anyone know if it ever had a monetary value, doesn't seem to be written on it although it's still in the original Midland Bank packaging.

If coins aren't cleaned how do we tell when/where they're from? For example I have one here, clearly dug up from somewhere, it's hard to make anything out from it except a harp on the back and the date 180?, it's also really worn in places.

Sorry from droning on, I actually got the box out to look for a lucky six pence for my friend who's getting married this summer and I found 3, so that's a result anyway!
    Thanks
    F

If coins aren't cleaned how do we tell when/where they're from? For example I have one here, clearly dug up from somewhere, it's hard to make anything out from it except a harp on the back and the date 180?, it's also really worn in places.

Dug coins need to be cleaned but must be done professionally. A dealer would know what a coin is even if it's covered in dirt, once some detail is visible. Without me seeing this coin you speak of I can tell you it has little or no value so it's not worth getting it cleaned. If I had it in my hand I could tell you exactly what it was, it may be a token but more likely it's an Irish George III 1805 or 1806 Penny/halfpenny or farthing, I'd know which by the size. None of these have any value when they are worn.

I've not much knowledge of foreign coins so I'd need to look them up in books or the web one by one. You could try this yourself by checking out ebay past and present auctions or google searches.

Thanks Blade!

Might have known they're not worth anything, I've just given the lot to the kids to play shop, may as well be good for something!

Back up to the attic to see if I have anything worth anything!!!! :)
    F

The one on the top is a normal pound coin and the one on the bottom is what a milled edge variety looks like. That's actually a half crown cause I don't know where mine are at the moment, but it looks the same.

http://www.irishcoins.net/Milled%20pound%20coin.jpg

Hi this link was not working but I looked on Irish coinage and its the same as the one there.
    Dots around the face, (shown) not shown ) and lines around the edge.

many thanks for your help :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

suey71 wrote: »
    i have just found a 1737 george II irish farthing. its black from being in the ground for a couple of centuries. any idea how to clean it up.? thanks

Leave it in some coca cola for a week or so that'll bring it up nicely.

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    Leave it in some coca cola for a week or so that'll bring it up nicely.

Christ, have you not read my many posts on the subject. Coca Cola is the one sure way to destroy a coin.

sugarman wrote: »
    1966 10 shillings worth much?

Pretty mint condition, in one the boxes.. not the proper ones tho, cheap knockoff.. think they were designed for 1990 punt or something?

Around 40-45 Euro retail. I wouldn't call the boxes cheap knockoffs, they are actually official boxes from the central bank though they are from the 1990 proof punts. Most of the ones on ebay do not use the proper screw capsules that came with the Punt which is the only type that actually fits that box, though some sellers do. The normal 10 shillings never came with a box, the proof ones did but the coins were never in a capsule so most of them are heavily tarnished. Again, for the love of Christ to anyone reading this, do not try to clean them!
    sugarman wrote: »
    1967 penny.. dirty put ok nick.. doubt its worth anything at all

You're right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 SexyIrish

Christ, have you not read my many posts on the subject. Coca Cola is the one sure way to destroy a coin.

I think he was joking...

SexyIrish wrote: »
    I think he was joking...

I don't.... I've heard people saying it ever since I was a kid. It's always been a common way for the average Joe to clean muddy coins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

o'coonassa. the coke isn't working:mad:.tried wd40..still nope. tried some thia chilli and garlic sauce from the foreign shop up the road..nope again, damn. some one mentioned ketchup.. no. brown sauce.. no. Blade, i have some caustic soda in the shed but don't want to try that incase it ruins the coin:confused:. some coin! they dont' make them like this anymore..

suey71 wrote: »
    Blade, i have some caustic soda in the shed but don't want to try that incase it ruins the coin

Bit late for that now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 miche'al irish

hey i'm new here just wondering if any one could help i have afew old coins and i was hoping some one could tell me if there worth anything

i have 2 1/2d pennies from 1941 and 1942
    and 9 1/2p ranging from 1889 to 1917
    and also 17 one penny coins from 1863 to 1927
    would appreciate any help thanks
    miche'al

Too vague a question miche'al. I assume they are English, if so do some research on Google and look up the individual dates you have. It's all about the condition and dates. Just look up "english coin values" and use one of the many web sites that come up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 miche'al irish

thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement