Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does your local Garda no longer seem interested? Maybe this is why.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

How about, instead of harsh sentences for these scumbags (which apparently serve no purpose), we give them financial incentives not to commit crimes. Enough so they can live a life of luxury. That'll keep everyone else safe and keep the bleeding-heart liberals happy too.

They'd only end up shooting it up their arms or snorting it up their noses, and they'd be out robbing for more money again. They'd probably OD on it... wait... you might be onto something...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

TheNog wrote: »
    Please tell me I am missing the sarcasm here

It would appear so. ;)

I should have really added a few emoticons.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

If society sees the justice system acting leniently it may make society think about taking the law into their own hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Just to add fuel to the fire......
    An Offaly man who slammed a garda into a shop front, causing her severe injuries, has been ordered to carry out 240 hours community service.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/no-jail-for-man-who-left-female-garda-with-severe-injuries-647521.html

It seems beating up Guards, on or off duty, is fair game :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I was just about to come in an post that. I'm ****ing fuming!!!

Also, and i hope i'm allowed to post this, but please sign and share:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/justice-for-garda-lucy-mcloughlin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Another thread filled with people demanding harsher penalties, another thread devoid of evidence that harsher penalties do any good.

I could get on board with this statement in terms of life without parole for anything less than cold-blooded murder and a few other particularly heinous crimes. Saying it in those sweeping terms makes no sense, though.

If you can beat a (female) Garda so badly that they are afraid to perform part of their job and not spend time in a prison then there is a clear lack of deterrent. The scumbag class in this country are fueled by judges who give light sentences. (And even for those who do go to jail, anyone who watched the recent show about the Dóchas centre will know exactly how much of a joke the system there is)

The whole sentencing system is a complete farce - which surprises and worries me because judges usually look down on everyone around them. One would think they would be more predisposed to harsher sentences than lenient ones, something that only means the problem is in fact even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

horsebox7 wrote: »
    If society sees the justice system acting leniently it may make society think about taking the law into their own hands.

I'm Batman. You could be my assistant. Would you like that? Would you like to ride with Batman.

On a slightly more serious note though, I'd love to see a bit of vigilante justice but I just know that vigilante mobs, even if somewhat professional and controlled initially, would end up being an even bigger problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Sorry to break the bad news here but these lads more than likely hit the pub after that sentencing and had a great laugh. Telling all there mates what happened and how nothing harsh happened to them.

Justice in this country is a joke. Sure look at the Minister dose she honestly look like she has any interest in what shes doing, every time I see her it's like shes saying to herself 'why did Enda put me over this ****e, I had a handy number over the children'. She should be out everyday pushing Enda and his crew to up sort the sentencing out in this country.

So we have these fellas mates telling there mates then they'll be thinking sure he got away with boxing the head of him and his missus, wonder what I would get away with.

What if it had of been the other way around? If it was a gang of Garda on a nightout and boxed the head of some criminal and his missus? There be almighty uproar.

Another joke of a sentence was that Armed Robbery in Louth where a gun was pointed at an off duty Garda and he was told to let go of his mate or he would 'blow his ****ing head off'. Let alone the fact he just robbed a bank he has now pointed a gun a Garda off duty or not more than likely the Garda had now identified himself as so. So what do we give this gouger with 75 previous convictions? 6 years.

Do you know something I am surprised the prisons are even full it's not like the judges hand out proper sentences.

And if it is a case of money. Don't do this community service bollix. For 5 years between 7am and 11pm at night a 8 hour shift 5 days out of the 7 for 5/6 years free of charge for whoever wants him, tell you he won't be acting the harry again doing a stretch of free labour like that. Only thing these fellas don't like is working and for free at that. If he messes it up, back inside for the rest of his term.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

TallGlass wrote: »
    Sorry to break the bad news here but these lads more than likely hit the pub after that sentencing and had a great laugh. Telling all there mates what happened and how nothing harsh happened to them.

Justice in this country is a joke. Sure look at the Minister dose she honestly look like she has any interest in what shes doing, every time I see her it's like shes saying to herself 'why did Enda put me over this ****e, I had a handy number over the children'. She should be out everyday pushing Enda and his crew to up sort the sentencing out in this country.

So we have these fellas mates telling there mates then they'll be thinking sure he got away with boxing the head of him and his missus, wonder what I would get away with.

What if it had of been the other way around? If it was a gang of Garda on a nightout and boxed the head of some criminal and his missus? There be almighty uproar.

Another joke of a sentence was that Armed Robbery in Louth where a gun was pointed at an off duty Garda and he was told to let go of his mate or he would 'blow his ****ing head off'. Let alone the fact he just robbed a bank he has now pointed a gun a Garda off duty or not more than likely the Garda had now identified himself as so. So what do we give this gouger with 75 previous convictions? 6 years.

Do you know something I am surprised the prisons are even full it's not like the judges hand out proper sentences.

And if it is a case of money. Don't do this community service bollix. For 5 years between 7am and 11pm at night a 8 hour shift 5 days out of the 7 for 5/6 years free of charge for whoever wants him, tell you he won't be acting the harry again doing a stretch of free labour like that. Only thing these fellas don't like is working and for free at that. If he messes it up, back inside for the rest of his term.

This x 1000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,478 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Please lads do not call anyone a "scumbag". It's a horrible word.

Anyone who assaults a garda should suffer the full penalty allowed by the courts.
    Judges who treat assaults on police officers lightly are letting the country down.

What if the shoe matches the foot? Yes it's a horrible word, and i reserve it for horrible people, those who have no consideration for others, who rob, steal and assault for no purpose other than their own personal gain.

I think I'll reserve the right to call people what I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Its important i think that the judiciary, Government send out a STRONG signal that assaults on Gardaí and other emergency services WILL NOT be tolerated - and to back that up with PROPER sentencing for the perpetrators.

When are we going to start grasping the concept of actually treating emergency services men and women PROPERLY in this country - backing them up - treating fairly - and SUPPORTING THEM.

Behind the uniforms are someones Dad, Mum, brother, sister, husband, wife, son or daughter.

Unfortunately - officialdom doesn't seem to grasp this and the idea of a Garda, Paramedic/Advanced Paramedic, coastguard people, RNLI crews and others just being names on a sheet - or an id, PIN or badge no - that needs to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Anyone who assaults a garda should suffer the full penalty allowed by the courts.
    Judges who treat assaults on police officers lightly are letting the country down.

A "Horrible" word indeed,yet bellowed repeatedly across Utube over the past few weeks as Gardai attempt to Police the divide in the Irish Water situation.

What terminology,I wonder,should we apply to the occupants of the VW Polo involved in the death of Diana Harton yesterday ?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/fatal-crash-car-was-chased-after-crime-spree-30691770.html
    The driver of the VW Polo which smashed into a Citroen on the M7 motorway, killing the driver Diana Harton (43) on Thursday night, has more than 20 criminal convictions for car theft and burglaries.

Another occupant of the car has been arrested several times in connection with robberies and criminal charges are pending.

Three of those involved in the crash were on bail for offences linked to robberies and burglaries.

What terminology would be appropriate in describing the various learned members of the Judiciary who have facilitated these individuals in their pursuit of the criminal holy-grail ?

We are reminded quite regularly and at some length of the very high standards of our Judiciary,all eminent within their profession,all selected for their outstanding understanding of the principles of Justice and knowledge of the Law.

Reading the accounts of the Mayo trial,any reasonable member of the general public could be forgiven for questioning whether Judge Rory McCabe could be considered to meet those standards ?

Four Adults,between 21 and 31 years of age,are found guilty of a serious assault on other persons (The status of the victims is,IMO Irrelevant).

The guilty parties already have significant pre-existing previous convictions...
    Barrett has nine previous convictions, and two pending charges for misuse of drugs and burglary.
    David Leonard has eleven previous convictions, the majority of which are public order offences while David Skeffington has seven previous convictions, all road traffic matters but has also incurred two further convictions since this incident, namely a public order offence and a misuse of drugs charge.

Notwithstanding the elequent pleadings of the various Counsel involved,it is EXTREMELY difficult to find justification for the sentencing decision of Judge McCabe.

It could be argued that Judicial decisions,as incredible as this,NEED to be immediately challenged by the State (It is argueable as to whether the DPP is the appropriate agent to do this),with the convicted persons held in custody until the matter is decided.

Nobody is suggesting that Gardai and Courts should ALWAYS be in sync,as the purpose of the Court is to be an impartial interpreter of the law,but judgements such as the Mayo one stand apart as being wildly out of kilter with any expected principle of natural justice ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

foreign wrote: »
    I was just about to come in an post that. I'm ****ing fuming!!!

Also, and i hope i'm allowed to post this, but please sign and share:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/justice-for-garda-lucy-mcloughlin

its okay though, from the article.
    The court noted today that to his credit, Carroll wrote a letter of apology to the garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Are the judiciary really sending out the message that beating up a couple of Guards on a night out is a non custodial offence.

I believe that this will be understood by those that might target the Guards as practically an invitation.

Christ!: if there isn't respect for the "guardians of the peace " the what will we have ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Words fail me in this thread. The system is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mike hilux

About proof as to harsher sentences being beneficial. Bring it back to one of the most simple things we all learned growing up. If I hit my brother and he hit me back harder then I'll think twice about it next time.

You don't step out in front of a speeding bus because it may kill you and also while that is happening you can be sure the bus won't show leniency or have any sympathy in it for you. That's why you don't do it.

People who repeatedly go out and commit violent crimes should be made an example of. I feel many view prison as a right of passage. This shows that the system is flawed but doesn't mean that a harsher sentence won't do any good but maybe the conditions that they serve under should be more suiting to their crime. Instead of a bad boy social club where they sit around telling stories of what they did to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

McGaggs wrote: »
    I thought we still had the death penalty on the books for murdering a guard?

So it seems to be:
    Kill a guard: get killed
    Almost kill a guard: pick up some litter

that was abolished about 10 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Has everyone forgotten this already? This government has already told you what they think of you and your colleagues.

I remember at the time the most ridiculous of arguments being thrown out, sh1t like "if I'm drunk and accidentally punch a guard who's arresting me do I deserve jail"
    Well yes mate you do, you don't accidentally punch someone and you knew what they were working at, so tough.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/5-year-jail-plan-for-garda-attacks-rejected-210064.html
    The Government has decided to reject legislation from Fianna Fáil which calls for an automatic five-year prison sentence for assaults on emergency service personnel.

The bill, introduced by Fianna Fáil justice spokesman Dara Calleary, sought to bring in a mandatory minimum five-year sentence for such offences.

“We are all very familiar with the very sad scenes of drink and drug-fuelled violence in towns, cities, and localities across the country which emergency workers have to confront every day and night,” Mr Calleary told the Dáil.

“The very dark side of drink and drug abuse, and general antisocial behaviour is the manner in which workers who are trying to keep people and communities safe are being increasingly targeted.”

Mr Calleary cited figures suggesting there were more than 800 assaults each year on gardaí doing their duty.

“That figure does not represent the full picture as many gardaí do not report assaults,” he said.

“I am not foolish enough to think that this bill will deter anybody from assaulting an emergency worker.

“It probably will not, but what it will do is send out a signal that as a legislature and country we will not stand for that kind of assault and that we will give emergency workers extra security and protection in law.”

However, Government chief whip Paul Kehoe said the Fine Gael-Labour coalition would be opposing the legislation.

While he welcomed the good intentions behind the bill, Mr Kehoe said there was already comprehensive legislation in place to deal with such offences.

This included the Non-Fatal Offences Against The Persons Act 1997, which provided for penalties of up to 10 years’ imprisonment for an offence of threats to kill or cause serious harm, and up to life imprisonment for causing serious harm, he said.

Similarly, the Criminal Justice Act 2004 provided explicit protection for emergency workers in regard to assaults or threats to assault.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭source

Turner wrote: »

He was on bail!!!???

What the ****!?! How can it even be justified to give a gou a suspended sentence for something like this committed while on bail?

This verdict hurts my brain even more so than the others, which were already unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Correct me if im wrong, but i thought that if you were out on bail & committed an offence your bail should be revoked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

JillyQ wrote: »
    Correct me if im wrong, but i thought that if you were out on bail & committed an offence your bail should be revoked?

Garda still have to apply to the courts to have you remanded,

I assume

The level of offending described here is horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭source

Zambia wrote: »
    Garda still have to apply to the courts to have you remanded,

I assume

The level of offending described here is horrendous.

Yes but if he was already on bail then he was bound to the peace. Which means a suspended sentence should not have been considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,478 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

AlekSmart wrote: »
    A "Horrible" word indeed,yet bellowed repeatedly across Utube over the past few weeks as Gardai attempt to Police the divide in the Irish Water situation.

What terminology,I wonder,should we apply to the occupants of the VW Polo involved in the death of Diana Harton yesterday ?

Killers? Criminals? These words actually describe people.
    Scumbag is just an ugly word without meaning.
    A bit like "joyrider" - nothing joyous about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Scumbag is just an ugly word without meaning.

Sorry to be a smarta$$ about this but it has meaning

Google: a contemptible or objectionable person.
    Cambridge dictionary: a very unpleasant person who has done something dishonest or unacceptable

It is at its core an emotive word, when the descriptions above are too lacking in the picture we wish to paint when describing the people previously mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭.243

its a horrible word specifically designed for horrible people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Turner wrote: »

Are these judges for real? I say it must be hard to land yourself in prison.

Well, he defiantly won't be coming to the attention of the courts or Garda again :rolleyes:

Advertisement