Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question for retained FFs

• 24-09-2014 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭

I was at a match recently that my local team were playing at recently and I spotted 2 lads from the fire brigade there. The match was being played in a village about 12 miles or so away from ours.

I was just wondering how does it actually work in regards of them leaving the town.

Do they have to inform their station officer or control room

Does their pager still go off

Would the lads at the station ready to go wait long on them if they didn't know they were out of town

Can they just drive to the scene of the incident and report to the station officer there

Can the station officer and sub officer leave the town at the same time

Is there a number of lads that are told they have to stay within the town to go to calls

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

lighterman wrote: »
    I was at a match recently that my local team were playing at recently and I spotted 2 lads from the fire brigade there. The match was being played in a village about 12 miles or so away from ours.

I was just wondering how does it actually work in regards of them leaving the town.

Would the lads at the station ready to go wait long on them if they didn't know they were out of town

Can they just drive to the scene of the incident and report to the station officer there

Is there a number of lads that are told they have to stay within the town to go to calls

The lads work on a rota as far as I understand, so it could be a week on call followed by a week off call or something similar. Can't expect someone to always be in such close proximity to the station!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

It's not generally appreciated just how much time retained firefighters have to commit to the job. It's a very demanding role requiring huge sacrifices in terms of freedom to do things or go places away from the fire station vicinity. That said there are systems in place to arrange some time off. In the vast majority of stations it wouldn't be week on / week off though, more like a day or two off per week.
    lighterman wrote: »

Normally crew members who are off call organise this with the station officer.

Depends on topography, but it might well do.

Would the lads at the station ready to go wait long on them if they didn't know they were out of town.
    If they didn't know they were out of town (and they would do normally), they'd head out once they had a crew for the appliance (5-6 people).

No.

Normally not, in some counties the DM is also trained as an incident commander though.

Yes. For a one pump retained station, normally 7 of the 9 crew have to be available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

civdef wrote: »
    It's not generally appreciated just how much time retained firefighters have to commit to the job. It's a very demanding role requiring huge sacrifices in terms of freedom to do things or go places away from the fire station vicinity. That said there are systems in place to arrange some time off. In the vast majority of stations it wouldn't be week on / week off though, more like a day or two off per week.

I understand their commitment and not in any way under estimating it. It just had me working though as we are in a small village and even to do the main weekly shop like tescos etc is at least 30 mins away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tintin8

The lads get set days off every week. Some bigger retained stations are week on week off such as newbridge in Kildare.

If they're due to be on call they can get a off call firefighter to cover them to leave the station area.

Advertisement