Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Part-Time IT Management

• 31-07-2014 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone ever done this? Ideally wondering what the timetable is like? Website says 3 evenings a week, but I vaguely remember seeing the timetable from last year and it was 4 evenings and a Saturday morning.

http://www.it-tallaght.ie/index.cfm/page/coursept?id=70

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭theGavin

Anyone ever done this? Ideally wondering what the timetable is like? Website says 3 evenings a week, but I vaguely remember seeing the timetable from last year and it was 4 evenings and a Saturday morning.

http://www.it-tallaght.ie/index.cfm/page/coursept?id=70

Thinking about going back? :)

My friend did it last year and I'm 90% sure it was 3 nights a week, he usually got out at 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

theGavin wrote: »
    Thinking about going back? :)

My friend did it last year and I'm 90% sure it was 3 nights a week, he usually got out at 10pm.

Have that incomplete feeling about it all, doing Computing side of the course was probably my biggest lift mistake to date and don't think I'll be happy till I'm sitting with a healthy grade Honours Degree!

Said I'd go back this Sept to finish it but it completely and conveniently slipped my mind :) Don't mind what time I would get out, more so what time I'd be in at (can be working any time up to 6pm in Citywest).

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Most of the PT classes start at 6pm but there is usually a little flexibility from the lecturers.

If anyone on here happens to be in 4th year IT Mgt Part Time any chance you can post the timetable?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ohgodhelp

Hey man, you don't need to be a student to see the timetables, can't post a link since I'm a new member but just google "IT Tallaght timetables" and you'll see a list of codes for all courses and respective years, you'll then be able to log into the system using the code for your course.

• Advertisement

The timetable for the course isn't up on the website, was hoping a current student might have it handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

Just me or is that confusing as hell?

Just me or is that confusing as hell?

Its very hard to read, the new time table format is terrible, when you start back yourself?

Its very hard to read, the new time table format is terrible, when you start back yourself?

I don't, done my Ordinary Degree, went and got full time work in IT but considering going back Part-Time to do the Honours next year but want an idea of timetables, etc... as I'll have to push my job for study leave, etc... come the new year.

• Advertisement

Any current 4th year Part-Time IT Mgt students have the timetable?

Any current 4th year Part-Time IT Mgt students have the timetable?

In three days a week at max, Tuesday to Thursday

its 6pm-10pm on Tuesday and Thursday, 4pm to 10pm on Wednesday.

Sometimes there is no classes on the Tuesday.

4 to 10? Rules me out for this in Sept so.

Are you currently in that course ye? Many CA's, group projects, etc...?

4 to 10? Rules me out for this in Sept so.

Are you currently in that course ye? Many CA's, group projects, etc...?

I am in the course, lots of CA's and lots in the final year project.

No group CA's thus far, if you are good at networking you can get away with the Wednesdays class at 4

I am in the course, lots of CA's and lots in the final year project.

No group CA's thus far, if you are good at networking you can get away with the Wednesdays class at 4

Cheers, thanks man. Will throw you over a PM about something so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

I am currently finishing off my third year of IT management. It has been an "interesting" experience thus far to say the least,
    It is extremely unorganized and has been extremely chaotic from 2nd year onwards e.g. Semester 4 for two modules we had no lecturers for 2 months.

The college had not recruited any lecturers for the semester, we where expected to catchup on the content when the new lectures started which was very difficult.

The lecturers are predominately not staff members (some of which have IT lecturing experience at all.)

You can get a bachelors in three years but you need to complete a final year project (research or software) and complete on site work experience (two weeks in an IT environment.) Thankfully I work in the IT sector so this was not an issue, but some of my classmates had full time jobs in different sectors and they found it extremely difficult to find an IT company to hire them for two weeks.
    Some still have not completed this section of the course.

As I come to the end of the course I am happy with what I have learned but tbh I don't know any better. I have not studied similar courses elsewhere but the feedback I am getting from people is that it is down right despicable.

The course is extremely intensive. You can manage it as they start at a very basic level but their is a extremely steep learning curve to it and a large quantity of new information to process at the same time. For me this turned out to be very time consuming. I work full time Mon-Fri (8-4.30pm) and I found it difficult to find time to study or work on assignments.

I don't remember having a social life, and I have had to give up a number of my hobbies. I'm not too sure if it was worth it.

This course is no walk in the park, it will be a bumpy ride. It will not be straight forward, it may say 3 nights a week but you'll more then likely end up doing 4. Expect to be coming in on Saturdays too. The course runs a number of Saturday classes as they do not have enough time during the week to cover what they need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mike316

theballz wrote: »
    I am currently finishing off my third year of IT management. It has been an "interesting" experience thus far to say the least,
    It is extremely unorganized and has been extremely chaotic from 2nd year onwards e.g. Semester 4 for two modules we had no lecturers for 2 months.

The college had not recruited any lecturers for the semester, we where expected to catchup on the content when the new lectures started which was very difficult.

The lecturers are predominately not staff members (some of which have IT lecturing experience at all.)

You can get a bachelors in three years but you need to complete a final year project (research or software) and complete on site work experience (two weeks in an IT environment.) Thankfully I work in the IT sector so this was not an issue, but some of my classmates had full time jobs in different sectors and they found it extremely difficult to find an IT company to hire them for two weeks.
    Some still have not completed this section of the course.

As I come to the end of the course I am happy with what I have learned but tbh I don't know any better. I have not studied similar courses elsewhere but the feedback I am getting from people is that it is down right despicable.

The course is extremely intensive. You can manage it as they start at a very basic level but their is a extremely steep learning curve to it and a large quantity of new information to process at the same time. For me this turned out to be very time consuming. I work full time Mon-Fri (8-4.30pm) and I found it difficult to find time to study or work on assignments.

I don't remember having a social life, and I have had to give up a number of my hobbies. I'm not too sure if it was worth it.

This course is no walk in the park, it will be a bumpy ride. It will not be straight forward, it may say 3 nights a week but you'll more then likely end up doing 4. Expect to be coming in on Saturdays too. The course runs a number of Saturday classes as they do not have enough time during the week to cover what they need to.

Hi, I just came across this thread as I was thinking about doing this course in Sept.

Basically, I have zero experience in IT sector and have been out of education and class environment for 9 years since I did leaving cert. I work full time 9-5 in retail too.

Do you think this course would be doable, especially for someone starting from scratch, with no experience in IT?

Many thanks

Mike

Advertisement