Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

COMPUTING IT TALLAGHT!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ElectroJazz

Everyone apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭theGavin

Going into 3rd year. I'm guessing by your immense excitement that you're going into first year?

Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 craigb93

yeah im going into first ... was just wondering if the course would be filled up and what the gender ratio might be like and whatnot :)

craigb93 wrote: »
    yeah im going into first ... was just wondering if the course would be filled up and what the gender ratio might be like and whatnot :)

Computing is usually packed. And the gender ratio is usually quite large in favour of the guys. Usually there is just a handful of women.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

First year it starts with like 80-90ish, slowly dwindles down after the January exams, then again for the Summer exams and well you'll end up with about 40-50 in 2nd year, 30-35 in 3rd year and very few in 4th year.

The handful of females usually are in the drop out category too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

What are the hours like for 2nd year?
    More? less?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

BOHtox wrote: »
    More? less?

The same i think, i'm starting 2nd year in a few days :)

deceit wrote: »
    The same i think, i'm starting 2nd year in a few days :)

Yeah, they're the same more or less. It's not a very exciting year, apart from the 2nd year project which is very fun , if you have a good team.

BOHtox wrote: »
    More? less?

As you'll find out, a disaster if you have a job and a social life... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

As you'll find out, a disaster if you have a job and a social life... :(

Job: yes
    Social life: Well I have over 2,000 posts so... we'll say it's developing!

I'm going to try switch courses when I go back in. Basically going to go up to one of the Heads and say "listen I have no idea why I'm in this course, I hate it, blah, blah, blah" and ask can I switch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

ah the old stomping ground, i miss those labs up in the furthest reaches of the college. i can echo what's already been said about the gender divide, maybe 5 girls completed the 4 years out of our year. it's a tough auld course if you're not willing to put the effort in. i think the admittance policies have gotten a bit cynical over the years; when i started in 2001 it was 300+ points to get in and still 40% of people struggled and dropped out by christmas, from what i remember the points have dropped considerably - I can't help but think it's an excercise in harvesting registration fees. if you've any friends who are going into one of the business courses, sever ties immediately or you will quickly become depressed at hearing about their 18 hour week while you're doing 25-30 :D

anyway, don't let me put a dampner on it. it's a very good course and you will be in demand if you excel at it come graduation.

p.s. don't make any plans for the easter break, you'll be doing project work while the rest of the college is off, no joke

theteal wrote: »
    p.s. don't make any plans for the easter break, you'll be doing project work while the rest of the college is off, no joke

This. All of this. I was adding the finishing touches on my project on my birthday ಠ_ಠ . In saying that though the project was very fun to work on, as you and your team mates are given all of the creative control and you can make the project how ever you choose.

But yeah, very little free time.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Picasso711

Hi I am currently deciding which college to attend to study CS, Maynooth, and ITT ae my two main choices, i hear not so much coding is done in Maynooth I am just wondering is there a lot done in ITT and do you consider yourself a good programmer on graduation?

I have some Java experience and have got my Oracle SE 7 Cert so I wont be a complete noob when I start. Greatly appreciate any advice.?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Picasso711 wrote: »
    Greatly appreciate any advice.?

Start a thread? This one's two years old...

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Picasso711

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Masume

Hi,
    Could someone give info about modules?
    How look the timetable?

Is there a lot of practical like coding or just theory? What languages ?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭crazy eyes

Masume wrote: »
    Hi,
    Could someone give info about modules?
    How look the timetable?

Is there a lot of practical like coding or just theory? What languages ?

I just finished first year in may. The modules in the first semester are software development (programming in Java) discrete maths, learning to learn, web and user, computer architecture and business information systems.

Soft dev as I mentioned is programming, discrete maths is as you'd expect maths. In it you'll do a mini test every week that make up 40% of your grade and then a final exam.

Learning to learn is used to show students how to study and how to improve learning.

Web and user is tells how to build a site using a windows expression I think its called. It also shows how to make things more user friendly.

Business and information systems IMO is very like leaving cert business.

My rough time table last year was:

Monday 11-5
    Tuesday 10-5
    Wednesday 9-5
    Thursday 10-2
    Friday 9-2

I can try to find you a more detailed time table if u want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bode

it will be great if you can get detailed timetable. Im starting IT management in sept as a mature student, im told computing and IT management students are together for the first year? Thanlkx

bode wrote: »
    it will be great if you can get detailed timetable. Im starting IT management in sept as a mature student, im told computing and IT management students are together for the first year? Thanlkx

From experience, the timetables change every year. You're correct on the Computing and IT Mgt doing the same modules in 1st year, but you'll be split into two groups by alphabetical order with two different timetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bode

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rog871

Computing and IT Management are split into two groups with different time tables but will also have the odd shared class.

Advertisement