Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contractions every 5 mins!!!!

• 08-02-2011 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Is it normal when you are having contractions 5 minutes apart not to check how far you are dilated?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

i got checked when i was i was roughly 5 every 20 minutes so some where 5 min apart others were little bit closer. You can always ask them to do it though. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭heathcliff

My sister in law is in Portlaoise Hospital since early morning and they have yet not checked how far she is dilated(last spoke to my brother at 6.15pm). Her waters broke at 6 this morning and my brother has ASKED several times during the day for her to be checked and he has been told that she has to wait till the contractions are coming every 2 to 3 minutes before they check how far she is dilated.....!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Ask to see the senior midwife and insist that she's checked.

jesus that doesn't seem right at all. Far as i remember i got 1st contraction at half 5 went in at half 11 they checked me over put me on monitor to time contractions and asked me did i want them to check my dialation was only 1. They then asked did i to stay or go home, went home as it was easter sunday and came back that night and same thing happen.

I would inist that she gets it checked and go to the senior midwife as advised. Fingers crossed she wont be waiting to hold the baby too much longer

Total surprise..They actually provide SOME care, they just brought her down to the delivery area for the FIRST time today and checked the baby on the monitor and then wheeled her back to her room!!!! Still don't know if they checked how far she dilated??..Is it me or is this not good health care!

• Advertisement

i don't no doesn't seem the best but like that they see 100's of people so obviously know when people are close to labour. Has she got a epidural yet? I think you can only get them at a certain dilation. I remember i got mine at 3 and then within half hour i was 10 cms so was lucky i got it, even though it didn't work.

Also getting checked for dilation is kinda sore so maybe they don't want to check to much and this is why there leaving it till she gets more contractions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I wasn't checked until my contractions were 2 mins apart and I was 2cm dilated. I'd asked in my birth plan for VEs to be kept to a minimum. My waters had broken at 6am that morning, I was put on a ante-natal ward and my first VE was at 10pm after strong regular contractions for 3hrs. I was checked again at 12am and was 3cm and was brought to delivery suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Also as bulmersgal said VEs are very very uncomfortable especially when you're having regular contractions so your sister wouldn't want to go through too many.

Update about my sister in law, she spoke to senior midwife and was told that they don't do VE's now because of risk of infection??? Has anybody heard of this before in any hospital other than Portlaoise. My brother very stressed!!

i hear it about sweeps but not for that. tell your brother to try relax as that wont be helping his misses. Are her contractions coming any closer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

It's normal for them not to check. It's standard practice. Vaginal exams increase the risk of infection, particularly once her waters have gone.

Some women have a very long first stage - her contractions might come faster if she is able to relax a bit. She probably won't be allowed to take a bath as her waters have gone, but maybe she'd be let take a shower? Hot water on your back can be an amazing relaxant if she's still up for getting out of bed and your brother should give her a back rub while she's in there. Breathing exercises also help, presumably she has access to gas and air?

Fear and stress have been proven to slow down contractions and delay birth. Constant monitoring and interfering with the natural (if painful!) process of birth is linked to increased interventions and c-section rates. Maybe your brother could try not to stress about the midwives and what they are or aren't doing and could focus on being calm and calming and supporting his wife? The longer they delay with interventions the more likely it is that she will deliver without medical assistance, and that is best for her and best for the baby.

Hope it progresses well!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There was a major discussion on wheather to check me too because my waters had broke, but when they did they took me straight of the ward and into the delivery room. I was being monitored at he time.

Baby Boy at 3.25am 9lbs... Was problems with his breathing when born but is doing great now!!!!! Thanks everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

heathcliff wrote: »
    Baby Boy at 3.25am 9lbs... Was problems with his breathing when born but is doing great now!!!!! Thanks everyone!!

Big baby, no wonder he took his time! Congrats to all.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Awe :D big bruiser of a baby :p well done to all!!!!

ah congrats on your new nephew!

Advertisement