Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

for the love of god...interest?

• 07-04-2010 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭

This is doin my nut in....I have some money that I want to save but I cant figure out how the interest rate is calculated and how much I'd get (approx) if i was to leave the money there for a year??

i called a bank and asked how and going by what he said i'll get about 100k after 6 months with 20k savings! Completely wrong i know...

Can someone help me pleeeasssee!!

Savings - say about 20k

Savings accounts I'm lookin at:
    Ulster Bank Pathway Account 3.6% Gross first 6 months then 2.6% AER
    Irish Nationwide 3.5% : Min 20k
    Permanent TSB Fixed rate savings: 10,000+ 3.35%
    Bank of Ireland 40 day set notice account: 2.70% gross & aer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Antoennis

This is doin my nut in....I have some money that I want to save but I cant figure out how the interest rate is calculated and how much I'd get (approx) if i was to leave the money there for a year??

i called a bank and asked how and going by what he said i'll get about 100k after 6 months with 20k savings! Completely wrong i know...

Can someone help me pleeeasssee!!

Savings - say about 20k

Savings accounts I'm lookin at:
    Ulster Bank Pathway Account 3.6% Gross first 6 months then 2.6% AER
    Irish Nationwide 3.5% : Min 20k
    Permanent TSB Fixed rate savings: 10,000+ 3.35%
    Bank of Ireland 40 day set notice account: 2.70% gross & aer

To work it out

€20,000 x 3.5%= €700 per year -25% dirt tax= €700 x 25%=€175 So

€700 - €175= €525 is how much interest you would earn for €20,000 invested for one year at 3.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Antoennis wrote: »
    To work it out

€20,000 x 3.5%= €700 per year -25% dirt tax= €700 x 25%=€175 So

€700 - €175= €525 is how much interest you would earn for €20,000 invested for one year at 3.5%.

That's a very approximate figure. It depends on when interest is calculated and applied. Also, you need to take account of introductory offers (ie interest rate may fall dramatically after a certain amount of time). Likewise, there may be penalties/bonuses for withdrawing early or leaving it in for specified time. Finally, you will need to take into account whether it is a fixed or variable rate. Variable might see the interest rate rise over the next few years (but no guarantee).

Advertisement