Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

murphaph wrote: »
    LA is really an exception to the rule here.

Not Just LA, just off the top of my head:

- Washington
    - NY MTA
    - Montreal
    - Minnesota
    - Oklahoma City

hell even Belfast and they don't even have any rail based transport :)

Anyway I'm not stuck on the Metro name, but I do think it is the best. But I do want one brand for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

bk wrote: »
    Not Just LA, just off the top of my head:

- Washington
    - NY MTA
    - Montreal
    - Minnesota
    - Oklahoma City

hell even Belfast and they don't even have any rail based transport :)

Anyway I'm not stuck on the Metro name, but I do think it is the best. But I do want one brand for everything.
    The metro brand is only applied to some busses in Belfast and certainly not to their C3K (NIR) equivalent of the DART.

New York calls it's metro the "subway" btw, and all signage entering subway stations says "subway".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Craig Fay

Couldn't resist giving this a try :D

TfDMyLogos.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

Craig Fay wrote: »
    Couldn't resist giving this a try :D

TfDMyLogos.jpg

Like the colour scheme but not sure if the Luas line 4 should go via Heston - it's a long way to west London. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I'd personally prefer the Dublin Bus logo in different colours as the symbol for Dublin transport. I think it's much more graphic and logo-ish than the 3 castles. Not that it really matters :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

I'd personally prefer the Dublin Bus logo in different colours as the symbol for Dublin transport. I think it's much more graphic and logo-ish than the 3 castles. Not that it really matters :pac::pac:

But the Dublin Bus logo is their initials...would look silly for anything else :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

But the Dublin Bus logo is their initials...would look silly for anything else :confused:

The outline also forms a castle which is part if the city of Dublin logo.

markpb wrote: »
    The outline also forms a castle which is part if the city of Dublin logo.

I know that too :P I just meant it seems a bit confusing having db written on all brands of Dublin transport. Regardless of the castle bit, it's still obviously forms those two letters...

Maybe I'm reading too much into it :L

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Yixian

Why not, like already suggested, a triquetra?

Triquetra-Vesica-solid.png

It's celtic, and the three pints could represent rail, luas and buses.

I did a mockup for the integrated ticketing smartcard with a triquetra:

33vkv4m.png

It looks fantastic on the card, but not too sure it would work as a logo for this kind of thing. Personally, I think transport logos need to be more simple, almost plain...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bk wrote: »
    Of course we could call it (DTA) Dublin Transport Authority or (DMTA) Dublin Metropolitan Transport Authority (just like the NY MTA), but I think they are all just unnecessarily complicated.
    And no doubt corrupted to MDMA.

Unlike some city where you get the "L" (elevated railway), it this case you would get an "E".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Victor wrote: »
    And no doubt corrupted to MDMA.

MDMA (as a) state-sponsored (body).... don't mind if I do:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I actually never noticed that before! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I know that too :P I just meant it seems a bit confusing having db written on all brands of Dublin transport. Regardless of the castle bit, it's still obviously forms those two letters...

Maybe I'm reading too much into it :L

Actually, I noticed this and thought about explaining it, but essentially, I figured if you lived in the hypothetical world where this was going to happen, you could (possibly at a stretch) see the db logo as also spelling out the letters D.A.T.

As a designer, I'd obviously want to go in an alter the db logo somewhat to ensure that such stretches of the imagination don't have to happen, but for a quick mockup, it best suited the idea I was going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 leshamry

2351_option_4_christchurch_entrance_dart_low.jpg

what do people think?

leshamry wrote: »
    what do people think?

I hate the shamrock as the logo and I have a feeling the entrance is one of those things that only looks nice in a render and invariably turns out differently when constructed. I could be wrong but are the Metro signs stolen straight from the Paris metro? :)

I think it looks great but I agree with the shamrock logo. A shamrock would be pretty much the single worst design for the logo, far to kitsch and cliché.

But yeah the rest of it looks fantastic.

I know I've said it a million times but I really think the best logo for the Metro, or even the entire TfD, is a triquetra:

Christian_Triquetra.png

I mean, it looks like a celtic twist on the roundel, it's perfect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

what do people think?

I hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Yup, ditch the shamrock. I don't see why nationalism has to come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Enbee

what do people think?

That kind of retro look might work well somewhere like SSG. Elsewhere a more modern take - including a modern logo - would be good.

Here's an idea for the logo. Come up with something that can be subtly altered for DART, Luas and Metro.

* EDIT * I like the Triquetra idea.

• Advertisement

Enbee wrote: »
    Here's an idea for the logo. Come up with something that can be subtly altered for DART, Luas and Metro.

Why? Passengers don't care what kind of rolling stock they're going to board or who's operating it (except maybe to avoid Irish Rail :p) Paris Metro don't differentiate their systems even though they're wildly different. TfL only separate out the overground lines (but I'm not sure why).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Vuctor

It should be patriotic.
    Have pride in your country and don't be a warthog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Vuctor wrote: »
    It should be patriotic.

Yeah, anyone who doesn't like the shamrock logo from an aesthetic point of view isn't patriotic and has no pride in their country. How dare they! :rolleyes:

I want a nice looking logo which is easily recognisable as the logo of the Dublin transport system it represents. Shamrocks, Harps and the like do not satisfy this wish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

And the triquetra is mainly on the southside with a bit sticking into the northside and is a balanced logo for Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

2351_option_4_christchurch_entrance_dart_low.jpg

what do people think?

lose the shamrocks - OMG! :eek:

Also, why not a modern style symbol for DART - maybe a good bold "D" for Dublin and DART. I remember a striking "U" sign for the underground ring line in Glasgow.

FFS, this is 2010! :(

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Vuctor wrote: »
    It should be patriotic.

I have pride in my country.

I do not have pride in what I feel is an ugly-looking shamrock disaster of a design.

If you de-rail this thread with any more vitriolic crap you will quickly find yourself banned. Strong opinions are welcome, personal insults aren't.

I hafta admit, the triquetra is growing on me. Maybe not the best design, but I could definitely see it working. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

@SpongeBob
    Is that tongue-in-cheek? If so, the triquetra could be rotated slightly to symbolise the historic Northside and Southside, as well as the new suburbs in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 leshamry

The more modern version? which one any other options?
    The paris metro sign is very robust and striking?

2351_option_8_christchurch_entrance_dart_low.jpg

2351_option_9_christchurch_entrance_dart_low.jpg

forum_herzog_demeuron_3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    And the triquetra is mainly on the southside with a bit sticking into the northside and is a balanced logo for Dublin.

Well each "leaf" represents one of the county councils with the centre point representing the city.

One on North -> Fingal
    Two on south -> "South Dublin" and Dun Laoire/Rathdown

;)

• Advertisement

The more modern version? which one any other options?
    The paris metro sign is very robust and striking?

2351_option_8_christchurch_entrance_dart_low.jpg

I like it! The triquetra doesn't necessarily have to be unfilled though, it could even be in a roundel? But yeah looks good!

And I like the Paris Metro type logo, robust is the right word, the actual sign has some depth and structure to it unlike a simple piece of plastic with "Dublin Metro" printed across it, which really adds a lot of class.

Some people are asking why have modern stop designs, well, I think it's best when there are a few common design elements to each station and entrance but otherwise each is unique and distinctive, as in many Paris stops.

The London Underground tries to add some unique character to some of it's stops but it's pretty pathetic really, I mean Leicester Square with the tacky façades around the tunnel exits? Fail..

It would be nice if Dublin had lots of variety between the stops, whilst maintaining some design elements across them all eg. the logo, fonts, maybe some patterns and textures/materials.

SSG will obviously be metro central and will be busy as hell, so needs to be nice and big and easily navigable, and should probably be georgian in design. DCU on the other hand should be nice and modern, Mater Station's design will probably be something that integrates with the new hospital development (which is look great btw), Pearse is just gonna be the biosciences building + Pearse Station..

I wonder how O'Connell Bridge Station should look?

Advertisement