Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Web design courses in galway?

• 20-08-2009 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have a Bcomm with marketing degree and have found it next to impossible to get a graduate type job. I have done some shop work and general labouring since but am getting let go at the end of the month. I was unemployed for about 7months before getting those jobs. Im 21 and live in galway

OK so thats the background story and my question is does anyone know of any good courses i could go on to make myself more attractive to potential marketing/advertising type employers. Thinking a web design course or something like that. But it would have to be recognised by some sort of international body too.

Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

web design isn't too tricky.. i'd save the money and just teach yourself.. absolutely everything you need to know is online!

just google away for lessons and off you go. its quite enjoyable when you get the hang of it.

I know its not a professional accreditation but the marketing will certainly stand in good stead to you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

_ZeeK_ wrote: »
    web design isn't too tricky.. i'd save the money and just teach yourself.. absolutely everything you need to know is online!

just google away for lessons and off you go. its quite enjoyable when you get the hang of it.

I know its not a professional accreditation but the marketing will certainly stand in good stead to you :D

www.w3schools.com is a great starting point.
    It is handy enough to figure out the basics and more.

Depending on the site, it can be tricky but you can learn A LOT from online tutorials.
    I dont think there are many short courses that would be internationally recognised in a way that would help you get web design work. Building up a portfolio is probably the way most web designers get work after learning it and building on what they have learned in college or from the web.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Usual Suspect

Thanks i'l def look into that so!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

kippy wrote: »
    www.w3schools.com is a great starting point.
    It is handy enough to figure out the basics and more.

Depending on the site, it can be tricky but you can learn A LOT from online tutorials.
    I dont think there are many short courses that would be internationally recognised in a way that would help you get web design work. Building up a portfolio is probably the way most web designers get work after learning it and building on what they have learned in college or from the web.

Great website!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Learning yourself, creating a few sites, making a portfolio site to show to potential employers would be better than a course seeing there isn't really any courses around anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 soozyq

Fás do a web design course that covers the basics. It is a very popular course so I would recommend putting your name down for it ASAP. The next course starts the 7th of September (Registration 1st of Sept). It costs €380 and it is well worth the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭bSlick

There's no info you are going to get in some course that you can't already get for free online. I see little reason to do some web design course when all the answers and tutorials you need are just a google away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 soozyq

bSlick wrote: »
    There's no info you are going to get in some course that you can't already get for free online. I see little reason to do some web design course when all the answers and tutorials you need are just a google away.

Since the original thread was looking for a course with a certificate at the end I thought it might be useful to post the reply. Some people prefer to learn everything off the internet and some prefer a class environment. Each to their own. So there is the reason!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

I have a Bcomm with marketing degree and have found it next to impossible to get a graduate type job. I have done some shop work and general labouring since but am getting let go at the end of the month. I was unemployed for about 7months before getting those jobs. Im 21 and live in galway

OK so thats the background story and my question is does anyone know of any good courses i could go on to make myself more attractive to potential marketing/advertising type employers. Thinking a web design course or something like that. But it would have to be recognised by some sort of international body too.

Any help?

Hi OP - I was in the same boat as you four years ago, even during the Celtic Tiger period it was still difficult to get a job in marketing what with the needing min 2 years experience Catch 22.

Tbh, adding graphic design to your CV is just fluff in my opinion - what counts is experience... To that end I thought it might be worthwhile to draw your attention to the H-Dip in Marketing Practice in NUIG. I did the course myself and though it is ridiculously expensive (unless you get the grant) it is one of afaik only 2 courses of its kind in the country.

If you get accepted to the course you get placed with a company that needs a marketing assistant and you get paid for your work (when I was there the salary was €300 per week). The course/work experience lasts for 8 months and at the end of it, if you've performed well, then you will almost certainly be retained. Unfortunately you're too late for this year's course but it could be worth applying next year... Take a look at http://www.cairnes.nuigalway.ie/postgrad/dmp.html for more information.

Advertisement