Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 7....by a non gamer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

One of the biggest differences between girls and boys playing RPGs is how little girls tend to care about the OCD 100% mustn't miss anything!.

My sis will play a game for fun and play it all the way through, and to be honest I envy her for it.
    I'm always stress grinding or thinking "maybe I should go back and check there aren't any optional extras or items"

It's nice sometimes to just play a game through. take care of any side quests that you bump into, but other wise just enjoy the game instead of stressing out about "missables".

so what if she doesn't do the chocobo races? the important thing is wither or not the game was a positive experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

One of the biggest differences between girls and boys playing RPGs is how little girls tend to care about the OCD 100% mustn't miss anything!.

Nu uh not me! Thanks to this thread and with some help from RedXIV I got playing FFVII again on the PSP this time and I was pretty much finished around the 30 hour mark but I'm up to 60 hours now. Got everything I could, got all the Ultimate Weapons, levelled everyone to 99, bred my gold chocobo, beaten all the Weapons and mastered all materia and obtained 3 Master magic, summon and command materias so each playing character has one. It took a fair few hours in Northern Crater but I had to do it! I've gathered about 17 million gil at this stage, and not a single use for it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Cocolola wrote: »
    Nu uh not me! Thanks to this thread and with some help from RedXIV I got playing FFVII again on the PSP this time and I was pretty much finished around the 30 hour mark but I'm up to 60 hours now. Got everything I could, got all the Ultimate Weapons, levelled everyone to 99, bred my gold chocobo, beaten all the Weapons and mastered all materia and obtained 3 Master magic, summon and command materias so each playing character has one. It took a fair few hours in Northern Crater but I had to do it! I've gathered about 17 million gil at this stage, and not a single use for it :rolleyes:
    Fair play gal :pac:

now is time to get the white chocobo!!! (yes he/she can fly and take you to the space!!)

well you are so far a wonderful exception to a wonderful generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Cocolola wrote: »

Did you buy the house in Costa del Sol?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,705 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's only a million gil, chump change by that point of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's only a million gil, chump change by that point of the game.
    It's not on the list though is it?
    (and it's only 300,000)

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

I did actually, forgot about it completely though. Must go visit it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 boarder294

17 million gil and no use? their must be somethin, like giving it to me.... :b

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭RedXIV

To those who see my name updating the thread hoping for a proper update, I apologise. We simply haven't had time the last while to do anything.

However, Ms. RedXIV has taken a weekend away with the girls and obviously decided that this would be a good opportunity to catch up as seen below

Progress.jpg

Please note the Yuffie avatar is a joke, just in case you think she's converted :D

Hopefully I'll have a proper update tomorrow when she returns.

• Advertisement

lol.
    new york accent:
    "what did I say? didn't I say? that L4 death it's a real drag"

Ok I realise this is long overdue but her tentative probing of the northern crater wasn't really worth reporting on. However, last night we got our chance to see a proper incursion towards the end game.

She's aware that this is pretty much the last dungeon, talking to friends of mine who know the game well has given her that heads up. As she explores the crater, her biggest issue is not, where to go, but rather "How do I kill these guys?!" Having never really identified a use for HP Plus materia, her team are all around the 3500 mark in HP, quite low for this area. She's been killed by the giant dragons that cast Ultima as well as Tonberry. She will still try to fight the dragons but Tonberry scares the crap out of her now and she runs as soon as she see's him.

As you've seen above also, she's been on the receiving end of a potent Lv4 Death. In the area where you get Shield materia she encounters her first Magic Pot and here I let slip the secret of W-Item. It took her a little while to get it right with her accidentally managing to delete items rather that boost numbers (a side effect of the glitch I wasn't aware of). After about half an hour of this, its time to move on as she proceeds into the bowels of the planet. At this point I should point out that she has a save crystal and is terrified about when might be too soon to use it. So she's kept it nice and safe in her inventory for a hint about when might be the best time. Once we get to the part where she assigns people to talk alternate routes, somehow she manages to send Barret who is part of her main party meaning she has to proceed to the planet core with just Cloud and Tifa. As she gets close to the final incarnation of Jenova (and subsequently retrieved her missing comrade), the music starts to give off a "maybe I should save vibe". But throwing caution to the wind, she proceeds down the steps, wiping out monster after monster in the process. Finally she gets to the area where Jenova appears and upon hearing the name "Jenova" straight away she reckons she should have gone with her gut and used the save crystal.

However, Jenova proves to be little more than a nusiance as she breezes through the battle. Regen and Wall making regular appearances and throwing Element3 magic along with Comet2 and Ultima very quickly sends Jenova packing. She's feeling more confident now as she proceeds to the centre and approaches Sephiroth. I think now she's realised that this is it. This is her final battle. Her only concession here is to sit up straight and push her glasses back up her nose and on we go.

She manages to get the single party option for Bizarro-Sephiroth and this makes things significantly easy for her to do. Thanks to the W-Item trick, her stash of Mega-Elixers is in the 90s and she is more than capable returning her party back to full health after the infamous Fallen Angel attack. Rather surprisingly, she managed to keep her attacks almost all based against multiple targets meaning that even if she was wiping out the magic cores first to reduce the potential damage they could do, she was also still constantly taking HP from the main body parts. Again and Again Barret's Ungarmax showed up to do ridiculous levels of damage and only once did it look like she was in trouble where she had Tifa dead and Fallen Angel cast on the other two but quickly applying a Mega-Elixer to her party solved this and she manages to dispatch Bizarro-Sephiroth very soon after.

She's very much exultant now, believing the worst to be over. The relief lasts all of 10 seconds before she realises the post-battle screen hasn't appeared. In all his glory Safer-Sephiroth drops down to One-Winged Angel and it still gives an ole tingle to the spine when you see it happen. She battles valiantly, taking out his Wall magic which I'm proud of but a combination of all his status attacks and the lengthy Super Nova attack manages to wipe out the party within 3 mins of the battle starting. She sat there with her mouth open as the game over screen wheeled up and she's realised she hasn't saved since she got into the crater but I think she's aware that her current strategy isn't going to work against Safer-Sephiroth.

Thats where we are at the moment, she knows now she can get most of the way down but I'm unsure whether or not she will proceed down again or if she will trying sourcing some of the secrets in the game to make life easier. She has no Ultimate Limits applied yet (even though she has a few in her inventory) and the Ultimate weapons have never been equipped.

We have to go for a drive later today and thats one of her favourite times to play so we'll see what happens later :D

you encouraged her to use the W-Item cheat? come on.
    what happened to
    she'll have to suffer through it blind like we all did all those years ago

Anyways, here's hoping she has better luck the next time!
    I remember I died on Safer Sephiroth on my first play through: The music terrified my childhood self and I completely crumbled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Has she become a shut in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

you encouraged her to use the W-Item cheat? come on.
    what happened to

+1

Why did you tell her that?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It would have been really interesting to see how she would have done unassisted. :(

+1

Why did you tell her that?:confused:

Sorry to disappoint guys but when she reached the third disk she was ready to go straight into the northern crater and because i didn't know a) if she'd win first time or b) if she'd ever play the game again, i wanted her to see as much of the game as possible. I explained about all side quests and hidden features (their existance mainly, not a walkthrough) so she was aware that there was hours more in the game.

it was at this stage i mentioned cheats and to reinforce the point, the first one i could think of was w-item and i wanted to show her. In hindsight i probably shouldn't but i got carried away explaining stuff. :(

Sorry :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Still the best gaming thread in a long long time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

tuxy wrote: »
    Still the best gaming thread in a long long time :)

Haha totally, spent an hour going through all the pages. I don't know, but for some reason the constant updates remind me of that legendary thread a few years back, about the student and the teacher, feeky maggy or something, haven't been this glued to a screen in a long time.

We should have more blog type stuff like this on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 boarder294

Now that give me an idea to use cheats.... :)
    Just this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Alactric wrote: »
    the constant updates remind me of that legendary thread a few years back, about the student and the teacher
    Sorry for going off-topic but for those who haven't seen that thread here it is: I Think My Grinds Teacher Fancies Me. There was also a follow-up called I Think My Co-Worker Fancies Me.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I hope she enjoys FF9 just as much when she gets around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭SickBoy

For anyone interested in playing it on their PC...
    http://finalfantasyviipc.com/en

Special offer €9.99 until the 12th September when it will revert to €12.99

Go on, you know you want to :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

It's not really a special offer, more like "buy it now or we'll just make it more expensive down the line".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭SickBoy

snausages wrote: »
    It's not really a special offer, more like "buy it now or we'll just make it more expensive down the line".
    A tenner for this game sounds special to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

SickBoy wrote: »
    A tenner for this game sounds special to me!

It's a tenner for the old crappy Windows port, complete with awful soundtrack.

Or you could pay the same price on PSN for the PS1 game.

Ok guys!

So we went away for the weekend, just ourselves and the consoles and managed to get some serious gaming in. As you may recall from my last post, she has had her arse handed to her by Safer-Sephiroth and as a result has decided she wants more powerful weapons, items, materia, you name it. She's heard of Knights of the Round from my brother, my friend and I several times and has decided THAT's what she wants. Unwilling to let her suffer through blind with the chocobo breeding (and possibly break my PSP in the process). I told (warned) her about the amount of time involved but she was adamant and so we began the process of breeding chocobos. I won't bore ye all of the details about that but suffice to say I guided her through it simply so we got past it as fast as possible. It still took 6 hours.

After doing the chocobo breeding, she started to realise that she was approaching the end of the game and she was going to miss it and asked about any other side quests. I duly informed her of the battle square and there she went where she defeated all 8 opponents on her third try and after a few other attempts managed to get enough points together to get the OmniSlash. I can't exactly remember why she decided to go back into the northern crater but I believe it was for materia. However, as is typical of that place, once again she went slightly too far and realised it was all the way or nothing. The final battle was on.

She had little to no trouble with Jenova LAST time and this time, all the extra fights she had done to acquire Chocobos just made it easier to breeze through this battle without any issues. However, once she came down to Bizarro Sephiroth, it got a bit trickier. Forced to split into two parties, she tried splitting up her stronger characters and realised she hadn't enough materia to adequately support two teams. She made do the best she could and the fight began. The difference from the start of the game was phenomenal, everyone had wall and regen cast on them, healing magic was regularly cast and her battle was was far easier than I remember it being. Constant barrages of Elemental3 magic coupled with the occasional summon (KOTR) and it didn't take long to displace Bizarro. But she did that last time.

Safer-Sephiroth dropped down and the battle truly began. Straight away she rebuked herself for splitting up her strongest team members as the final fight left her with the most hated character of them all, Yuffie. Relegated to the healing position, Yuffie buffed all characters with the usual Wall and Regen magic as Barret and Cloud pounded away on Sephiroth. She was taking phenomenal damage off him and constantly dealing blows of several thousand when he cast SuperNova. This is the move that killed her last time and she knows it. She has a small glimmer of hope as Barret has over 7000HP to be depleted and cloud has over 5000HP. She's given up on Yuffie with a meager 3000HP. I happen to notice that Cloud's limit is a hair away from being full and asked had she seen the Omnislash since she got it. She said no as he always gets killed when its close. In an ending you couldn't script, after the SuperNova hits her team, Yuffie is dead, Barret is in Yellow, Cloud is in DOUBLE figures of health when she gets her turn. Limit shoots up, She quickly hits the limit option and as the flames shoot up around Cloud, she acknowledges that if this isn't effective, she is dead.

We all know the OmniSlash here, especially the first time you see it. First time I saw it was when I beat the game and you face Sephiroth one on one, I thought it was the best thing ever. I like to think everyone is suitably awed the first time. She was. Especially since Sephiroth began to fade away after it. Being a cruel person I told her (truthfully) that was round 2 of 3 and she was bracing herself for the storm but I think once the story started again she had an idea that she was home dry. She let loose the Omnislash a second time to finish the game and watch the ending she worked 5 months to see. This is also the FIRST game she has ever finished.

Her opinions on the end were a bit subdued as she was still so chuffed at beating the game and in fairness, its a bit obscure trying to tell whats Holy, the Lifestream and Meteor, especially on a PSP screen. She did think for a second that Aeris might be back when the hand was reaching down but that was quickly dashed. Afterwards, for the last movie with Red, the screen is far too small to see so I told her it was a ruined version of Midgar which she seemed happy with.

So thats it! She did it! I'm extremely proud of her and I think I may have awoken a hobby. I think she might be a bit too taken with the game as she wants to play it again instead of moving on. She's a big girl so I'll let her decide. She's a bit nervous around the idea of playing a game without the materia system or the character she knows, Cloud in particular has really grown on her. From here on in though, my report is over. She will probably come on thread herself now to discuss, in her own words her opinions but safe to say she's very pleased with herself! As a former non-gamer, I salute her and welcome her to the fraternity of gamers all over the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I was always under the impression that supernova never kills you. It's a gravity attack I think.

snausages wrote: »
    I was always under the impression that supernova never kills you. It's a gravity attack I think.

Possibly :) may have been from some status ailment or similar that knocked out Yuffie. If I may speak for herself (as if I haven't the whole thread) I think the main thing is she beat Sephiroth and Yuffie is dead :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I'd love to see her opinion of this thread itself - I wonder what it must be like to have someone keeping a journal of your experiences while playing a video game!

Advertisement