Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Extended footage of a clip I watched on the news of the wave as it moved inland, washing all before it. Unreal.........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709850

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

[-0-] wrote: »
    BBC just showed Sendai airport being swallowed up. Shocking.

I think I'll stop watching now, it gets worse with each video.

Would the people have known after the earhquake that there was going to be a tsunami? Excuse my ignorance, but the earthquake in NZ recently didn't result in a tsunami.

Just wondering how much warning, if any, the people had to get to higher ground?

They have warning systems in place in the Pacific. Bouys located everywhere.
    A lot of places have warning sirens that go off to warn the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Thrill wrote: »
    Extended footage of a clip I watched on the news of the wave as it moved inland, washing all before it. Unreal.........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709850

That wave is terrifying. You can see how far it came from and the speed at which it's moving. Very scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Would the people have known after the earhquake that there was going to be a tsunami? Excuse my ignorance, but the earthquake in NZ recently didn't result in a tsunami.

Just wondering how much warning, if any, the people had to get to higher ground?

All the coastlines (Japan & America anyway) have tsunami warning sytems in place that come into effect when the Earthquake hits. It has to be a minimum 7.5Mw for warnings to take place. New Zealand didn't have them because it was inland and it wasn't big enough to cause any lasting Earthquake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

3 meter high waves now forecast for parts of the hawaii'n islands :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

May be a fire in one of the Japanese nuclear power stations. As bad as this is, it may get so so so much worse

That footage CNN were just showing of the tsunami rushing across land is terrifying. You can see cars on the roads and next thing they're swallowed up :(

It's really so, so sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

I've been to Tokyo on three occasions and loved the place.

The scale and density of the city is hard to comprehend and thankfully it seems not to have suffered extensively from the quake or tsunami.

The pictures were truly frightening but their contingency plans post Kobe and logistical expertise will go a long way towards ensuring its impact will not mirror anything like the destruction seen in Bandah Aceh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

some_dose wrote: »
    May be a fire in one of the Japanese nuclear power stations. As bad as this is, it may get so so so much worse

The power company there has reported that the emergency generators used to power the reactor coolers are inoperable.Not a good sign if they can't get them up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Konata wrote: »
    Apparently the first tsunami wave hit Sentai port about half an hour after the earthquake. So those people had very, very little time to evacuate. The meterologists would probably not have predicted it in time.

God, i was hoping there was more of a warning but I suspected probably not as some of the footage shows cars doing a u-turn and making a mad dash for it as the water rushes across the farm land.

I don't think those cars would have made it away in time. The water was coming at them so fast, carrying other cars and boats. Maybe they did but the footage cuts out so it is hard to tell :(

fox news just reported the tsunami could swamp some of the smaller hawaii'n islands

The death toll would be a whole lot worse were it not for the incredible ability of Japanese builders and engineers. The fact that buildings are still standing is amazing and has no doubt saved hundreds of thousands/millions of lives

the whole californian coastline now on tsunami alert, i could be wrong, but that cant be good news for hawaii considering that will be hit 1st before california

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Just heard on Sky news a nuclear power plant is now on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Oh my god the footage on the news is shocking.

Dont like waking up to this type of news :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I used to live on Oahu so this has all gotten very close to home for me too :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Just heard on Sky news a nuclear power plant is now on fire.

Let's just hope that's Sky/Fox scaremongering again.

At its source, this quake was 8,000 times stronger than that which hit Christchurch.

Fuck me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

looks really bad hope there is not huge loss of life , shows how fortunate we are in ireland no major disasters of note

Confab wrote: »
    I hope. But the original source was a Japanese news channel. Must investigate.

The death toll would be a whole lot worse were it not for the incredible ability of Japanese builders and engineers. The fact that buildings are still standing is amazing and has no doubt saved hundreds of thousands/millions of lives

This is very true. Japanese engineers have developed incredible building structures. The buildings shake as the ground shakes - moving with it rather than resisting it. It's truly fascinating and incredible, that even after an 8.9 earthquake, 99% of buildings are still standing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

the whole californian coastline now on tsunami alert, i could be wrong, but that cant be good news for hawaii considering that will be hit 1st before california

It's actually the entire west coast of America according to AP.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Im speechless watching the footage. This is so terrible.
    The scale of this is only becoming apparent, worse by the minute. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Shulgin wrote: »
    Im speechless watching the footage. This is so terrible.
    The scale of this is only becoming apparent, worse by the minute. :(
    Me too. Not the nicest news to start the day to. Makes you just think...how taken for granted where we live on this world is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Confab wrote: »

Reuters reported it over half an hour before sky, and local media before That, sky mentioned it in passing but didn't focus on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

True that, money can be a good thing sometimes. Same with Chile last year, huge earthquake but well put-together buildings mitigated the effects.
    Far too early to call, was a big tsunami warning for Hamaii last year that fizzled out. Too hard to know how the wave will behave in the open ocean and/or whether it'll reach anywhere of note. Obviously one hopes it'll dissipate itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Was in Japan 9 years ago at the 2002 World Cup.
    It is an amazing country. Fantastic cities.
    The most friendliest people you will ever meet.
    This has the potential to be the biggest disaster in History.
    My heart goes out to each and every one of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement