Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

East Coast Dog and Gun

• 27-10-2010 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭

I am just wondering if any of the lads on here have had any dealings with East Coast Dog and Gun shop in Gorey Co Wexford. I am just wondering how you got on and if you were satisfied with the service you received there. I already have my own opinion formed of both the owner and the " gunsmith ". My opinion is based on first hand dealings with the place and I want to know if my opinion is similar to that of others who have dealt with the shop.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 DickieBowe

Very happy with my dealings, friends have been equally satisfied. I've bought second-hand and new there, all good by me. In fact was very well treated when i traded in and upgraded there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

i find the gun smith a very very nice fellow but the owner to be honest comes across as a bit of show off and if i enquire about buying something he has tried a few times to sell me something more expensive and that puts me off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭blackstairsboy

To be honest I vowed never to step into the shop again. I still wont. I dont want to bad mouth the man as he is only trying to make a living. I am just wondering what your opinions are.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭50cal

". My opinion is based on first hand dealings with the place and I want to know if my opinion is similar to that of others who have dealt with the shop.

What is your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

I have dealt with east coast dog and gun for a number of years now and found his service and products good .Best of luck on future business ,paul!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have dealt with Paul a number of times as have my friends.
    We all found him to be a bit of a "character" and very, very good on price.

Last time I talked to him he planned to open a range, I hope he does and wish him luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭50cal

I have known Paul for many years. In fact long before he moved to Gorey and well before he ever decided to become a firearms dealer. I have to hand it to him when he gets an idea in his head he follows it through and ultimately he has developed a nice business in Gorey and his passion for shooting is obvious.
    That said , he is “ as mad as a box of frogs” You simply never know what he going to come out with next and some fellas cant understand him at all!
    I have recommended good friends and total strangers to deal with him. I have never heard anything untoward said about him afterwards , other than the odd remark about him being a character.
    Best of luck Paul with the new range. I think it will offer a new dimension for shooters on the east coast.
    Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

ive been in twice didnt have what i wanted, but told me to try so n so, no probs here,,, think theres another lad around that neck of the woods John lambert i think is his name,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

ronn wrote: »
    ive been in twice didnt have what i wanted, but told me to try so n so, no probs here,,, think theres another lad around that neck of the woods John lambert i think is his name,

Used to deal with Mr. Walsh,as a newbie to stalking ,not knowing sh1t ,he tried to sell me a .257 Weatherby magnum:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:,this is just 1 of many things i could tell ye.
    As my tresh hold for Bullsh1t is low ,i now deal with John Lambert of Camolin, a proper firearms dealer.
    P.s if any of ye are going to buy anything off of Mr.Walsh,i'd also price it off John Lambert;).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I've bought stuff of both ECD&G and John Lambert. I've no complaints about either of them. Would happily shop with either again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

These threads never end well :o
    Everyone knows the rules on these threads bunny, the problems show up when people try to back-seat mod them and start rows to get them shut down (edit: not saying that's what bunny was doing in his comment, btw).

For due diligence, a quick recap of the rules:
    The rule is simple - if you're posting your experiences and they're negative, that's okay; if you're just looking to get the boot in, that's not. One's a genuine customer satisfaction issue (and frankly, is worth something to the business - successful businesses pay large amounts of money to collect that data); the other is a bitching session that's not based on fact, but on opinion and inertia.

If this thread goes down the second route, it'll get closed, same as all the others. If it doesn't then there's no need to close it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Some off-topic posts deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭berettadt10

I have dealth with Paul over the years and i have had no issues at all. He couldnt be more helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭blackstairsboy

Thanks lads for your opinions. Maybe I caught him on an off day or something. I might relent go back to him again but to be honest I find dealing with either john lambert or patrick carley a much more pleasant experience. Thanks for the opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

I'd find it hard to deal with Paul again for any more than a box ammo, <snip> ,that said i loved talking to his gunsmith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭lefthooker

After taking an interest in shooting I bought my first rifle from Paul Walsh on the advice of a friend. I found him friendly, chatty & straightforward to deal with. But over the course of our next few dealings I became increasingly frustrated with his manner & service, or lack of. To the point where I lost patience with his constant excuses & took my business elsewhere. I wasn't spending serious cash but I swore Paul Walsh would never get anymore of my notes.
    I see there are plenty who have had good experiences with Paul but I can't add to that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mountainy Jack

I do not know the man, I have had no dealings with him. I wonder what he thinks of dealing with all of ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

I do not know the man, I have had no dealings with him. I wonder what he thinks of all of ye?

To be honest i'd imagine most of us don't give a fcuk what he thinks of us.
    So whats your point ? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mountainy Jack

I would be interested to see what he thought of dealing with ye, as I said above, I think that is pretty straightforward. I'm sure he has had good and bad experiences too.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Commish

Bought a gun there recently and would rate it as a good experience. Found Paul very nice and enjoyed the few war time stories he told me. I priced the gun all round and I couldnt get a better deal, and he told me if I did and could prove the price he would match it. Cant get much better than that lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

I called down a few weeks ago and found him very honest and wasnt trying to pressure me into a particular gun
    He left me in the gun room for a good ten minutes so i could have a proper look around to see all the stock that was available
    John lambert on the other hand i know for a fact didnt show me what he had in stock cos theres a fella on here trying to sell a rifle and john lambert said point blank that he didnt have the rifle
    Id go back to east coast dog and gun but not John lambert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Some dealers will try and sell their own stock before stuff that's been left in to sell.

Yeah ive seen it before but never as bad as in camolin
    I asked specifically about the rifle and was told 'no dont have one of those':confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Paul is an absolute legend and a gent. Went in one friday when I was down that neck of the woods and was looking for a shotgun with my son and the missus.
    I left about three hours later after havin the best laugh in a long time. He had no problem showing me everything he had and we exchanged more than a few war stories. Was great with the young lad too! The most welcoming and friendly man I have met in a long time! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

I called down a few weeks ago and found him very honest and wasnt trying to pressure me into a particular gun
    He left me in the gun room for a good ten minutes so i could have a proper look around to see all the stock that was available
    John lambert on the other hand i know for a fact didnt show me what he had in stock cos theres a fella on here trying to sell a rifle and john lambert said point blank that he didnt have the rifle
    Id go back to east coast dog and gun but not John lambert

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Its great to hear that so many people get a great first impression when they meet Paul. But talk is exactly that, just TALK!!!!! Service is more important and after sales is paramount. And i found both lacking. And I definitely wasn't laughing the last time i dealt with Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

I met Paul at birr castle, I purchased my shotgun off the for sale section and couldn't get down so he suggested we meet at the Birr castle weekend, I was going so happy days. Very nice fello from talking to him for and hour or so.:D

• Site Banned Posts: 179 ✭✭JasonBourne

Pauls Marmite. you either love him or hate him. hes a big personality and some people dont like that. but tbh i dont think the fella would leave you stuck and if you were in a jam id say he's get you sorted. Just purchased a 270 stalking rifle form him. he showed me everything from cheap cheap cheap to top drawer stuff. no pressure on what to buy just answers to the questions i asked. i left and returned 3 times over the following week to make sure id made the right decision was never a problem for me to go in and check again! end of the day its a business he's there to make money, do you work for free??

GixxerThou wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

i've had dealings with both found them to be alright, but i prefer patrick carley, soundest man you'll ever meet!

Advertisement