Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat 9 Discussion Thread

• 17-03-2011 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Thought id throw this up as a focal point for MK9 related talk seen as the official demo is up for PS3 users.

Here's some related sites that have or will have information on the game as it gets closer to release:

http://www.themortalkombat.com/
    http://www.mortalkombatonline.com/

Played it this morning for only an hour but i like it alot. Kinda seems slow for the first few games but speed comes fast once you know what your doing. Glad theres a block button myself :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

As for playing on a madcatz controller layout its not much different from a 6 button layout for street fighter. Was reading that people are having problems doing X-rays on them (L2 + R2 only for MEGA DAMAGE! Hope it'll be fixed haha) but its also done by pressing all the bottom buttons (button layout depending) so there shouldnt be much problem.

Plays fairly well with a PS controller tho, but its strange seen as i havent used one instead of a Stick in ages :pac:

Well thats just for peeps who are curious as to how buttoon layouts will be etc. hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Any news on an Xbox demo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

The more I play this demo the more it seems like a definite purchase. I'm really enjoying the demo. It's like a bridging point between Street Fighter and Tekken with regards to special moves and long strings of rigid normals for combos.
    However there's a couple of things that still irk me.
    Namely Mortal Kombat inputs still confuse the **** out of me half the time. How are you supposed to do 'up up square'?
    MK inputs also bug me in that there's rarely any sense to them. In SF a QRF+P is usually a fireball across all characters. Sometimes it's a half roll.
    In MK they're all over the place. Scorpion projectile is B,B+LP. Mileena's is B,F+LK. Sub-Zero's is D,F+LK. Johnny Cage's is D,F+HP or D,B+HP. That's all four characters in the demo with different projectile inputs.
    And then Fatalities are just random jumbles of arrows. :/

Having said that, I still love the demo and have been playing it for two hours :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Namely Mortal Kombat inputs still confuse the **** out of me half the time. How are you supposed to do 'up up square'?
    THIS.

This, and the way I can't seem to flow combat, are the only things keeping me from *gasp* making this a definite purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Sairus wrote: »
    The more I play this demo the more it seems like a definite purchase. I'm really enjoying the demo. It's like a bridging point between Street Fighter and Tekken with regards to special moves and long strings of rigid normals for combos.
    However there's a couple of things that still irk me.
    MK inputs also bug me in that there's rarely any sense to them. In SF a QRF+P is usually a fireball across all characters. Sometimes it's a half roll.
    In MK they're all over the place. Scorpion projectile is B,B+LP. Mileena's is B,F+LK. Sub-Zero's is D,F+LK. Johnny Cage's is D,F+HP or D,B+HP. That's all four characters in the demo with different projectile inputs.
    And then Fatalities are just random jumbles of arrows. :/

Having said that, I still love the demo and have been playing it for two hours :pac:

are you referring to scorpion stage fatality cause for that to work you have to hold R2 to block press back up up then release and press square :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Its a day one purchase for me anyway, even if the inputs are tricky and confusing!

are you referring to scorpion stage fatality cause for that to work you have to hold R2 to block press back up up then release and press square :)
    You can hold block?! XD God that makes them well easier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would, possibly cos I got the girlfriend to play, she picked Mileena and when she saw her she said "Ohhhh I'm hot" and then proceeded in making her do crouches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

All this talk of pressing 'R2' and 'Square' is heresy.

All this talk of pressing 'R2' and 'Square' is heresy.
    It's going to have Kratos :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

It's going to have Kratos :(

I thought he meant 'cause they play on pad and you never hear a SF combo go "cr.A, cr.B, cr.Y, cr.RB, QFC.RB" etc. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Indeed I was lamenting the use of bad notation.

Also Kratos seems like a total douche to me, just sayin'. :pac:

Indeed I was lamenting the use of bad notation.
    My post was originally completely Square/Triangle/X/Circle but I reworded it before posting once I realised what I'd done XD I missed that first square though.
    I blame that the MK move lists are entirely done with button names. If a move is 'B,F+LK' and you have LK set to X it'll come up in the move list as 'B,F+X'
    Also of interest is that the move list flips the inputs to whatever side of the screen you're standing on. Scorpion's hook shot is shown as '<-,<- + Square' when standing on the left and '->, -> + Square' on the right. Took me a while to get used to that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Also of interest is that the move list flips the inputs to whatever side of the screen you're standing on. Scorpion's hook shot is shown as '<-,<- + Square' when standing on the left and '->, -> + Square' on the right. Took me a while to get used to that.

Thats why I couldn't get it to work! I must have been on the wrong side of the screen every time:pac:

On the other hand, MK9 does have the CORRECT way of setting custom buttons (scroll to action -> press button).

And that Tower mode looks very interesting (for once).

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

You can't play 2 player on the demo. I like the game but the demo's boring. Ladder gets boring real fast

The Hound wrote: »
    You can't play 2 player on the demo. I like the game but the demo's boring. Ladder gets boring real fast

You can play 2 player local is all I think. Move the cursor up to the '1 Player' at the top and press right I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

it is just a, demo :rolleyes:

any word on the XBL demo?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

Cool, I reckon you quit Street Fighter altogether and concentrate wholly on Mortal Kombat instead.....

In fact, see if you can get Bush, Azza and Cobelcog to join you, while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Played the demo, it looks gorgeous and is just as much fun as the first 2 games were back in the day, but Im still holding judgment on how deep the engine has gotten. There has definitely been some improvements, it feels like the most fluid MK game yet but it still has that clunky MK feel to it, went down a storm at a party with friends who hadnt seen it yet :).

Theres also the question of which machine to get this on, I own a 360 and a PS3 but play all my online multiplayer games on my 360 cause Live is way better then PSN and 95% of my friends are on live. But the PS3 port has Kratos as an extra character while the 360 has nobody, last time somethng like this happened was with Batman: Arykum Asylum having the joker on the PS3 while the 360 got nothing, that was an offline 1 player game so It was a no brainer to get the PS3 version then.

With an online multiplayer game though its different, Id feel ripped off if I bought the 360 version of this knowing that version has less characters, and waiting for the game to go cheap or used isnt an option either as apparently its going to use the online pass method used in all the new EA and THQ games :(.

Ive only just gotten Marvel and I barely have enough time to play that and SSF4 at a decent level, Ive played SSF4 online twice since Ive gotten Marvel and it really showed how rusty Id gotten and how much better the people I play with (who dont play Marvel) got in the space of 1 month, I cant see myself trying to play a 3rd game properly. Oh well, Ive got 1 month to make up my mind.

• Advertisement

J0hnick wrote: »
    Theres also the question of which machine to get this on, I own a 360 and a PS3 but play all my online multiplayer games on my 360 cause Live is way better then PSN and 95% of my friends are on live. But the PS3 port has Kratos as an extra character while the 360 has nobody..

Ive only just gotten Marvel and I barely have enough time to play that and SSF4 at a decent level, Ive played SSF4 online twice since Ive gotten Marvel... I cant see myself trying to play a 3rd game properly.

This is basically exactly what I'm thinking at the moment.
    I play almost exclusively on 360, despite access to my housemate's PS3. An added point is that my housemates dont like fighting games, but they love God of War. This could be a bridging pont so we can finally play stuff together that isn't Split/Second. For that ast reason I probably will just end up getting it on PS3.

Having time to play **** is also big. I haven't played much fighters at all since my loyalties got split between SSFIV and MvC3 - I've already dropped BB utterly. MK9 is not going to work well there.

Curse this surge of new quality fighting games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Niallwithaz

Never really got into any other fighting games but I played the demo for this and it'll probably be a first day purchase. Only problem is I don't have the cash to get a fight stick. Will I be at a disadvantage playing against others (online and off) if I'm just using the d-pad?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Never really got into any other fighting games but I played the demo for this and it'll probably be a first day purchase. Only problem is I don't have the cash to get a fight stick. Will I be at a disadvantage playing against others (online and off) if I'm just using the d-pad?

Basically, no. Not unless you're already used to a stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Niallwithaz

Basically, no. Not unless you're already used to a stick.

Thanks. Never used one before so d-pad it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Played the demo yesterday and it is quite fun. CPU video shows that there could be some cool juggling and combo opportunities but didn't play enough to get to grips with that.

Looks good, plays smoothly. Unfortunately if you hit them to finish, the opponent seems to stand straight up and then fall back - wierd!

Fatalities are cool and over the top. Exactly what you would expect from MK series. X-Ray is a nice touch, essentially an Ultra from SF series but with new makeup. Perhaps a little too powerful, especially considering it's two buttons and COULD be relatively easy to land.

Development team must have belief in its ability to stand as a competitive title with the $21,000 tournament - it will either stand the initial test or be shown up badly, because we know that the high profile players are perfectly willing and able to comment.

🤪

Wouldn't be the first time a stupidly broken game is played for high stakes, mind...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Yeah, if there's heavily abusable stuff in there, for that kind of money, I'm sure some of the better players will attempt to detect and use it, which won't be great for the future of MK.

Then again, if they know what they're doing, it could be great publicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭SirAuronDX

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Development team must have belief in its ability to stand as a competitive title with the $21,000 tournament.
    I dunno about you. but that sounds like some easy money.

Sure it is the demo but i digress. probably will be removed

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

I saw an interview with ed boon a while back and he was talking about having a system in place to update the game regularly when bugs etc were later found so if they actually do this or try and impliment it in soon way id be confident infinites etc would be addressed. Or at least hope they would haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

SirAuronDX wrote: »
    I dunno about you. but that sounds like some easy money.

Sure it is the demo but i digress. probably will be removed

There were infinates in Street Fighter, and there are glitches and gimmicks in Marvel. Anyways, it's no easy money - can you outglitch JWong / Marn? :D You can be sure they will play to win regardless of the spectacle!

🤪

Advertisement