Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DDoS attack on Protonmail

• 11-11-2015 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

I'm a user of protonmail and over the last few days or more they have had a massive DDoS attack on their service.

Interesting read all about it over at their blog https://protonmail.com/blog/protonmail-ddos-attacks/ for anybody interested.

I was surprised to see that they actually paid one of the attacker groups to stop the attack on them. Of course it was paid by bitcoin :-)

Neon

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I thought it was piss poor that they paid, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭neonman

I agree Khannie

Well they have learned the hard way - although they paid up the attackers didn't stop the attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

Runbox told me a few days ago the same thing has happened. They have refused to pay, my e-mail is working fine! :)

neonman wrote: »
    although they paid up the attackers didn't stop the attack.

I heard that the attackers did stop the attack and that after the payment it escalated to what looked like it might be a nation state level ddos. I wondered if someone was teaching them a lesson for paying criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭neonman

From their blog:

"We hoped that by paying, we could spare the other companies impacted by the attack against us, but the attacks continued nevertheless. This was clearly a wrong decision so let us be clear to all future attackers ProtonMail will NEVER pay another ransom."

• Advertisement

I had read that alright and I thought it stank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

Khannie wrote: »
    I had read that alright and I thought it stank.

This is how you deal with Ransom demands:

Advertisement