Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Massive BÉ Expansions in Cavan - WHY?? HOW???

• 09-03-2011 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭

As i mentioned in timetable changes, theres more monumental bus expansion in the Cavan region planned.

Cavan -Cootehill - Monaghan services are rising from 1 per day, to 5 commuter services.
    (On top of 3 expressway services via clones)
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1299260127-175.pdf

Has anyone an idea WHAT is going on in Cavan?

First the 5 times a day 111 to Granard/ Athboy (and onward to Dublin via Blanchardstown) comes online out of no previous service at all**, and now a regular Cavan-Cootehill-Monaghan service with timings that might even allow people to get to work and back, increased from 1 to 5 busses daily.

Was there a blockage previously due to licencing reasons (i.e. NTA taking over bus licencing from from the dept of NO transport), is there an appetite now for public transport that there wasnt before (Cavan College?), or is Bus Eireann getting some funding from the government?
    It's just strange that the only show in town till last year was the link to Dublin, but now theres expansion of regular Bus Eireann services out of Cavan in all directions!

** after decades of granard being COMPLETELY taboo due to a private operator shuttling grannies about the place on their bus passes. Not to mention the Galway bus also being not allowed to stop in Ballinagh, for the same reasons.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I do recall the CEO of the NTA Gerry Murphy saying that yes there were a backlog of applications to be dealt with and that they would deal with them far more vigorously than the DoT did before (their approach was do nothing if it was in any way potentially conflicting with a private operator no matter how tenuous the link).

I would think that the developments could also be linked to the revised HSE arrangements in the area with Cavan Hospital becoming more important than before.

Note also that the 177 is being upgraded also routing via the M1 and serving M1 Retail Park at Drogheda.

It seems to be in line with stated NTA policy of redesigning and developing bus networks in areas around the country - they started with the South Wexford area (and I'm not getting into the bus-v-rail debate on that one) by redesigning the local rural services.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

ok,
    I am becoming a slight bit wiser!

from pre christmas statments of an NRA meeting
    "The Bus Licensing function has transferred to the Authority with a backlog of applications to be resolved. New procedure manuals have been produced and staff have been trained on these procedures."
    http://www.nationaltransport.ie/downloads/minutes_101217.pdf

explains why now theres movements on a lot of fronts!
    They have this backlog of bus companies trying to make ireland less car dependent to clear (aside: try living in cavan/ monaghan and get to work by public transport without a car - till these new services, not possible)

Also, the CLUSTER FCK that was the situation that once a bus company pisses on territory(think of dogs marking their ground!!), its theirs forever no matter how crap their services or busses are, is indeed at an end.

Licencing for scheduled services is now categorised as outlined below, which may explain the concept of separation of express from stopping services on Cavan-Navan-Dublin route and the ALLOWING of routes/ services from bus eireann that cater for commuters, when a private company couldnt have been arsed for decades to do so, being happy to cash in the subsidies from the government for the pensioners on their us passes.
    regular service licences:
    This category provides for the regular carriage of passengers on a predetermined route with predetermined pickup/set down points. Services of this nature could include-
    Interurban services - services linking major towns and cities
    Express services (no/limited intermediate stops or limited intermediate stops at major towns/ cities on the route e.g. Cork-Limerick-Galway).
    Multi-stop services - with numerous intermediate stops between the terminal points.
    Commuter services - services to centres of employment or education, which are provided to match the travel patterns, which are provided to match the travel patterns of commuters i.e. services to and from the destination are provided predominantly in the peak travel periods.
    Rural services - services linking two or more small towns, villages or rural areas.
    Urban/suburban services - includes the majority of services that operate within urban and suburban areas.

All licences in this category will be granted for 3 years. Licences can be for an all-year round service or for seasonal services e.g. summer months /academic terms.

I have to say that the NTA's approach to this is a breath of fresh air and long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Does this mean that the long overdue Cavan to Dublin along the M3 route might finally happen?

lxflyer wrote: »
    I have to say that the NTA's approach to this is a breath of fresh air and long overdue.
    I 100% agree, and its summed up in one line, taken from the NTA responses to public consultation:
    "the Authority has clearly set out that the consideration of applications will have public transport users at its centre and allow for a case-by-case approach to be taken."
    http://www.nationaltransport.ie/downloads/public_consultation_on_bus_licensing.pdf

re Dublin-Cavan express,
    other posters have said elsewhere that there WILL be something soon allowed on the M3, but from a private company, not bus eireann.
    But is that only going to be a Navan-Dublin express (leaving Cavan in the cold), or limited stop Cavan-Dublin ?
    Who knows! Information is very scarce.

You would have to logically think that at least some services from Cavan will run down the motorway now that the Licencing Authority specifically have the commuters interests as their highest prority now.
    The bus eireann busses are often full by Kells, and cannot pick up passengers anyhow from there on(leaving that to the relief bus starting in Kells), but still MUST travel via the old road nevertheless to drop off the randomers heading to Navan and Dunsaughlin or somewhere in between.
    It would be no effort to deposit any passengers for the "old road" to a stopping service starting in Kells, leaving the bus starting in Cavan to then bust it to Dublin on the motorway.

• Advertisement

Presumably whoever it is needs to source new vehicles and staff so there will be a time delay before it is announced.

news of more changes regarding Cavan busses is imminent, this time the biggie, the Cavan - Dublin service and possibly an Express ???

On the bus eireann facebook page , re "Dublin to Cavan":
    Further to the above, changes to services on this corridor will be implemented in approx 6 weeks. Full details will be posted on our website nearer that time.
    http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=129451437605&topic=14403
    and that was 2 weeks ago that the comment was made, meaning an announcement to come soon and the new improved (or disimproved?) services then coming online in 4 weeks!!
    With a peak journey time of almost 3 hours currently, you'd have to think that its improvements in the service they are announcing!

further up the page, they confirmed that they did indeed apply for the express services, which is the only written statement I've seen from Bus Eireann themselves on the matter :
    We have applied for a direct licence from Dublin to Cavan via the M3 and are awaiting this licence approval. Please be assured that as soon as we have this licence approval we will look to introduce the service as quickly as possible.

The fist statement in that link from the BE facebook page regarding when BE first applied for a licence goes back over 10 months, showing how ineffective the DoT were and that in my view they were not fit for purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jack pot

The NTA have finally confirmed that they have approved the licence applications that Bus Eireann submitted for the new and old road from Dublin to Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Thats great news. Took the bus from Cavan to Dublin yesterday. Left Cavan at 7am and wasnt in Stephens Green until 9.45.

• Advertisement
Advertisement