Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Politics or history book recommendation

• 22-05-2015 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

I know there are a take if threads about books but some of them are very specific. I guess I'm asking the following with respect to a broad topic base.

A friend is turning 40 recently and although they have asked for no presents I wanted to get something for them. She loves politics and history and i don't mind spending up to maybe €60 so just wondering if anyone has come across s book which made an impact on you?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

A writer who combines History and Politics would be Michael Burleigh who has written a series of books on European history: Sacred Causes, Moral Combat are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Various former politicians have written autobiographies down through the years. Although written very much from the writer's point of view, they can give a good insight into the historical and political situations at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Leocolceathrar

Anyone else have a suggestion?

Advertisement