Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White socks and sandals - freedom of expression or an abomination of manhood?

• 06-07-2014 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Continuing our series on debating issues of importance to the modern man, we now turn to that curious tradition of men of a certain age wearing white socks with sandals and shorts.

With the warm weather now approaching, shorts offer men a level of freedom to express themselves in a manner only a man of a certain age can. By choosing to wear white socks with sandals, most likely accompanied by elasticated khaki shorts from Marks and Spencers, are these men making a statement? Are they giving two fingers to the fashion police by declaring that they can wear what they want and who cares what they look like, as long as they are comfortable.

Or, are these men utterly devoid of any shred of self-awareness, dignity and fashion sense, resulting in family members speaking of them in hushed tones of embarrassment?

White socks and sandals - yay or nay? 37 votes

Dear God no
    0% 0 votes
    Freedom of expression - let them at it
    100% 37 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,267 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It is a truly shocking faux pas and one which really isn't acceptable in civilised society. Or even here in Dublin 15. By the simple action of removing the white (or any other colour for that matter) socks, dignity can easily be restored. Let's face it, any man of a certain age wearing shorts isn't really going to be overly fashion conscious, and their self awareness probably evaporated many years ago while "dad dancing" at a wedding. That only leaves dignity, and it is important to at least make an attempt to save a shred of one of the three.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

In my experience they are also the sort of people who go to the gym once a month to get away from thier spouses then hang around in the
    changing rooms naked displaying thier milk-bottle palour and varicose veins.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Where would a brother buy a decent pair of sandals these days?

I'm on me holidays.

I got mine on Amazon, but I think I got the pair before that in Clarkes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

What if said gentleman had particularly gnarly or otherwise unattractive/disfigured or down right offensive looking toes and/or feet more befitting of a creature from the underworld than modern man ?

Surely such a gentleman should't be forced by convention to expose themselves in such a manner lest they be denied what I believe is every human beings right to wear sandals and khaki shorts in a rather vain attempt to avoid the savage and piercing heat of the Irish summer, all under threat of the removal of their last solitary shred of dignity ?

• Advertisement

I don't feel that I am forced to expose my hobbit feet to the world. On the contrary, I embrace my hobbitness and if the world doesn't like it they can kiss my hairy ass feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

White socks bad. Black socks are acceptable imo.

I need a decent pair of sandals too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

What about those "not quite fully sure" pop socks, where do they fit in ?

My first post here, happy to say I satisfy the requirements of having plenty of gut n a shortage of hair(on my head at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

So I did it.

I wore shorts around Dublin city centre yesterday. Thankfully I had the decency to wear not white socks and sandals, but a rather fetching pair of bamboo flip-flops. Yup, still got it.

Although it troubled me the amount of men of a certain age wearing white socks with sandals. No amount of craft beer could numb the senses sufficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I say wear whatever feels comfortable (much like the heroic bloke on the Southern Comfort ad).
    I wear a variety of footwear at which others scoff - e.g. Crocs, Birkenstocks - usually without socks, but sometimes with.

I gave up caring what other people thought a long time ago (and I'm not even that old) and I look forward to embarrassing the life out of my daughter when she's old enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Burn them with fire with extreme prejudice. No excuse. Make you look like a priest. If you have hobbit feet then cover the buggers up with proper shoes, don't foist them on the childer and ladies and gentlemen of a nervous disposition. Ditto for middle aged men in any form of lycra. Please no. If they're not currently cycling their very expensive pushbike dreaming of the Tour de France and lost youth anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

WTF lads, sandals? No way.

Water shoes ftw. And you can wear them in the water.

415Dfwi70pL._AA160_.jpg

If anyone mentions crocs, I will become upset.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭susanlinda823

No no no no noooo. Such an abomination!! I make a point to to point at guys who do this...And laugh. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

It is truly sick to wear any socks with sandals

Advertisement