Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Matt Kissane

• 20-05-2014 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

I was reading a book, part of which covers the period 1913 - 1923 in Ireland, and Dublin in particular. The book features stories about two members of my family and the people in their social circles. Most of these people I have heard of, such as Collins, Boland, Pearse, MacDermott, etc. and these are (reasonably) well known.

However, I came across a name that I am not familiar with, that of one Matt Kissane (who married one of my relatives). I have not heard of that name before, and I was wondering if anybody knew anything about him, and ultimately, if he had any children with my relative?

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Have you tried looking him up in the census or other records from the period?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

CDfm wrote: »
    Have you tried looking him up in the census or other records from the period?

It was the first place I looked, followed by the military archives bureau and the military pensions database. The census shows Matt Kissane (x1) and Matthew Kissane (x1) in 1911 and 1901.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about this Matt Kissane, bar that he married my cousin. No age, DoB, DoD, birthplace, married date, or anything that me might have done (or not done). The only place I've seen him mentioned is in Maire Mhac an tSaoi's autobiography, but based on the names also mentioned in the surrounding paragraphs, I was hoping somebody might know who he was.

Clauric wrote: »
    The only place I've seen him mentioned is in Maire Mhac an tSaoi's autobiography, but based on the names also mentioned in the surrounding paragraphs, I was hoping somebody might know who he was.

Maybe you should post the detail you do have and the paragraph and page and it might jog peoples memories ?

Maybe you should post the detail you do have and the paragraph and page and it might jog peoples memories ?

Unfortunately, I don't have the book to hand currently, so I can't tell you the page number. The relevant part of the paragraph reads as follows:

‘About 1910, when I was a small girl in Eccles Street, a cousin of mine [almost certainly Bee Doheny, later Mrs Matt Kissane] took me to the house of Miss Kit Ryan [afterward (the first) Mrs Sean T O’Kelly], where she was staying. They took me out to St. Enda’s where we were received by [Padraig] Pearse. We met also Tom MacDonagh, Willie Pearse [both executed after the Rising] and Tomas McDomhnaill there…’

Italics and underline were added by Maire Mhac an tSaoi to Margaret Mhac an tSaoi's statement to the Bureau of Military History. This is the only information I have for Matt Kissane

Have you located Bee Doheny ?

• Advertisement

Have you located Bee Doheny ?

Yes, I located Bee a while back, and have her in both the 1901 census in Ireland, and the 1911 census in the UK. The reason I am looking for Matt is that I am trying to trace what happened to Bee after 1916-1921 and to find her children, grandchildren, etc.

My thought behind finding Matt was in part to try and track down their children, and as so often happened in my family, to dig out his, and their role in the founding of the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Check www.freebmd.org.uk. There is a 1917 marriage for Matthew Kissane and Brigid Doheny in England. There are also births listed for children with a Kissane father and Doheny mother. The birth and marriage certs can be ordered from the English General Register Office.

CeannRua wrote: »
    Check www.freebmd.org.uk. There is a 1917 marriage for Matthew Kissane and Brigid Doheny in England. There are also births listed for children with a Kissane father and Doheny mother. The birth and marriage certs can be ordered from the English General Register Office.

Thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

Clauric wrote: »

‘About 1910, when I was a small girl in Eccles Street, a cousin of mine [almost certainly Bee Doheny, later Mrs Matt Kissane] took me to the house of Miss Kit Ryan [afterward (the first) Mrs Sean T O’Kelly], where she was staying. They took me out to St. Enda’s where we were received by [Padraig] Pearse. We met also Tom MacDonagh, Willie Pearse [both executed after the Rising] and Tomas McDomhnaill there…’

the book "The Same Age as the State" has been converted by Google books and is viewable online. Hopefully that link works.

Re the 1917 marriage mentioned, this shows up on Ancestry

Name: Matthew Kissane
    Spouse Surname: Doheny
    Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1917
    Registration district: St George Hanover Square
    Inferred County: London
    Volume Number: 1a
    Page Number: 979

Name: Brigid Doheny
    Spouse Surname: Kissane
    Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1917
    Registration district: St George Hanover Square
    Inferred County: London
    Volume Number: 1a
    Page Number: 979

A search on ancestry for the surname Kissane with the mothers maiden name as Doheny lists 7 children from 1917 to 1925 (Barbara, Matthew C, Mary, Michael, Patrick, John, Rosaleen - first 2 in London, next 2 in Kent, 1 in Surrey, 1 in Cheshire and 1 in Lancashire).

Not sure if he is your Matthew Kissane but in 1928/9, a Matthew Kissane took on the role of Secretary of the Manchester Ship Canal. A family tree in ancestry has him from Kerry (born 1884 died 1962) but no data re wife or children. Possibly the same man - a Matthew Kissane appears in the Navy List of 1919 as being Assistant Director of Materials and Priority, Controllers Dept, Admiralty. Appears to have an OBE in this Hansard page

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/written_answers/1920/jul/08/ministry-of-transport-appointments

I think this is the Matthew born in 1918
    http://www.specialforcesroh.com/showthread.php?9756-Kissane-Matthew-Cyril

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1155611/KISSANE,%20M%20C

He is commemorated on a memorial in the Trafford/Sale area which tallies with Cheshire/Lancashire/Manchester and appears to have been commissioned in 1941 from the Manchester Regiment TA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

1903 appointments with the Admiralty as Mathias
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/Edinburgh/issue/11549/page/945

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/Edinburgh/issue/11556/page/1017

1918 appointment
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/Edinburgh/issue/13190/page/174

1919 Ministry of Transport appointment
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/Edinburgh/issue/13534/page/3874

Death certs could be ordered using the following info :

Name: Brigid Kissane
    Birth Date: abt 1882
    Date of Registration: Mar 1958
    Age at Death: 76
    Registration district: Surrey North eastern
    Inferred County: Surrey
    Volume: 5g
    Page: 641

Name: Matthew Kissane
    Birth Date: abt 1884
    Date of Registration: Sep 1962
    Age at Death: 78
    Registration district: Surrey North eastern
    Inferred County: Surrey
    Volume: 5g
    Page: 415

Attached is the obituary from Girton College re Rosaleen Brigid Kissane (1925-2007)

The Witness Statement of Sean T O'Kelly mentions Miss Bridget Doheny teaching in a college in London. Possibly her in the 1911 census in Yorkshire

Name: Brigid Doheny
    Age in 1911: 28
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1883
    Relation to Head: Boarder
    Birth Place: Ballingarry, Tipperary, Ireland
    Civil Parish: Wakefield
    County/Island: Yorkshire-West Riding
    Street address: 18 St Johns Square Wakefield Yorks
    Marital Status: Single
    Registration district: Wakefield

and possibly in Dublin for the 1901 census as an undergraduate

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Pembroke_West/Morehampton_Road__Part_of_/1288139/

• Advertisement

Thank you very much for the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Philip Wheeler

Hello Clauric,

I don't know if you are still interested in this, but my name is Philip Wheeler, and I am a grandson of Matthew and Brigid (Bee) Kissane. My mother was Rosaleen Kissane. Please feel free to get in touch.

Advertisement