Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your setup?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Alignment of a Motorised dish is MUCH harder to get it tracking full arc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 fressatty

banie01 wrote: »
    Thanks mate! Although considering the quality installation job that you did putting in the dish for me in the 1st place ;) adding the rest was easy :)
    Apart from 16e... I see now why you recommended a 1mtr plus dish if I wanted that one ;)
    I think an elevation tweak might get it stronger but to be honest, I have everything else set up lovely and even that bird is actually very clear.
    But if I do try it and mess it up I know who I'll be calling ;)

And as for channels, I'm upto 8432 ;) Still nothing on though! haha
    And as for channels, I'm upto 8432 Still nothing on though! haha[/QUOTE]

And there is my question....i apreciate this is a hobby for you, nothing wrong with that! i'm just curious, if i turn my roof or garden into a nasa control center lookalike by increasing my dish size or adding lnbs and more dishes etc...what exactly are you adding to the freesat list that is worth watching? are there more HD channels or more american/uk channels available when you add extra dishes liike this?

at the moment i have an edision argus vip2 combo on freesat and Saorview, connected to old sky dish,

what am i missing out on???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

fressatty wrote: »
    And as for channels, I'm upto 8432 Still nothing on though! haha

And there is my question....i apreciate this is a hobby for you, nothing wrong with that! i'm just curious, if i turn my roof or garden into a nasa control center lookalike by increasing my dish size or adding lnbs and more dishes etc...what exactly are you adding to the freesat list that is worth watching? are there more HD channels or more american/uk channels available when you add extra dishes liike this?

at the moment i have an edision argus vip2 combo on freesat and Saorview, connected to old sky dish,

what am i missing out on???[/QUOTE]

A lot:D

Some of us have subscriptions though for footie, movies, etc on the foreign sats...

And there is other stuff not allowed talk about!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Glenviewjf wrote: »

what am i missing out on???

A lot:D

Some of us have subscriptions though for footie, movies, etc on the foreign sats...

And there is other stuff not allowed talk about![/QUOTE]

100% agree aside from the fta stuff, there are cheaper foreign providers for sports and movies for official cards along with those other means I've heard gossip about too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 moneysurfing

Here is my setup -

110cm dish with multifeed - 0.8W(twin)-4.8E-9.0E(twin)-13E-19,2E 10x1diseqC

and 60cm sky minidish for 28.2E(quad) and 23.5E 4x1diseqC

Combined with DM800HD 500GB HDD for 0.8W;4.8E;9.0E;13E;19.2E;23.5E;28.2E in living room with Archos TV+ 250GB, upstair is Openbox S9 for 0.8W,9.0E,28.2E

Also planning to ad 16E to 110cm dish and trying to experience one more LNB for 19.2E to 60cm sky minidish (28.2E and 19.2 worked for me at Sky minidish)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

how do people in Ireland find reception for viasat on 4.8e?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

glic83 wrote: »

No chance on my 88cm in Dublin

80cm down in Kerry and not a squeak...

get a couple of channels but not the 1's i would like on my 1m dish in cork,but i was just checking it wasnt me that couldnt really get them

get a couple of channels but not the 1's i would like on my 1m dish in cork,but i was just checking it wasnt me that couldnt really get them

Which channels or providers you interested? East Europeans??? AKTA?
    I have 4.8E at 110cm dish Drogheda, I can check quality and signal strength for you or see www.lyngsat.com

• Advertisement

Which channels or providers you interested? East Europeans??? AKTA?
    I have 4.8E at 110cm dish Drogheda, I can check quality and signal strength for you or see www.lyngsat.com

just the viasat get the others on 4.8 fine just some of the viasat nordic beam in paticular

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Here is my setup -

110cm dish with multifeed - 0.8W(twin)-4.8E-9.0E(twin)-13E-19,2E 10x1diseqC

and 60cm sky minidish for 28.2E(quad) and 23.5E 4x1diseqC

What kind of reception do you get on 0.8w and 23.5e ?

Zardoz wrote: »

UPCdirect and CSlink/Skylink

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I have 23.5 on a multifeed setup on a TD88 and pull UPC,Skylink and Canaal Digital ;) , varies from @55%SNR on the weak TPs to 95%+ on the stronger ones.

banie01 wrote: »
    I have 23.5 on a multifeed setup on a TD88 and pull UPC,Skylink and Canaal Digital ;) , varies from @55%SNR on the weak TPs to 95%+ on the stronger ones.
    Interesting.
    My Diseqc Motor has given up the ghost on me so my Gibertini 1m is out of action.
    I've grown tired of realigning the arc and I'd also like faster switching times between satellites.
    I'm currently considering my options

a)New motor
    b)Multifeed adapter for 13e,16e,19e,23.5e and 28e (I have a 60cm dish fixed at 28e)
    c)Toroidal T90 for 1w to 39e

There are Pros and Cons for all 3 options ,I cant make my mind up.:(

Interesting.
    My Diseqc Motor has given up the ghost on me so my Gibertini 1m is out of action.
    I've grown tired of realigning the arc and I'd also like faster switching times between satellites.
    I'm currently considering my options

a)New motor
    b)Multifeed adapter for 13e,16e,19e,23.5e and 28e (I have a 60cm dish fixed at 28e)
    c)Toroidal T90 for 1w to 39e

There are Pros and Cons for all 3 options ,I cant make my mind up.:(

Cheapest would be a new motor..

Multifeed adapter - im currently after designing my own lnb multi arm for 3 lnbs 13,19,18 and a switch then it would be nearly as much as a motor...

T90 would be my choice if i had the money! I know a few friends have them and the quick zapping between sats makes me jealous, compared to my old motor...

I had a motor before, now I have multifeed.
    Here is avantages and disadvantages by me:
    How long you wait for motor if turning from f.e. 0.8W to 28.2E???????
    Multifeed switch between 1-2second.
    Multifeed - in normal dish limited max 20 degree and you can put 5-7 LNB's,somewhere you need special thin LNB's if the sats closer than 3degree.
    DiseqC motor - only 1 LNB and positions how many you wan't
    Finally the price for multifeed with many LNB's can be higher than motor.
    Also don't forget about quality diseqC switch

Any multifeed holder you can buy at ebay for 20-30€
    T90 is cheapest from any Germany satshop (google it ) - something about 140€, in Ireland selling for 199€
    If I will be setup a new system, my choice will be 100% T90

Cheapest would be a new motor..

Multifeed adapter - im currently after designing my own lnb multi arm for 3 lnbs 13,19,18 and a switch then it would be nearly as much as a motor...
    There actually isnt much difference in cost between a 5 sat multifeed setup and a good motor as I have a few spare lnbs here.
    I'd only need a multi adapter,2 slimlnbs (for 16e),1 standard lnb and a 6 way Diseqc switch.
    I wouldnt have anymore realignment issues and I'd have fast switching but my viewing would be limited to 5 satellites.

My motor developed an electrical fault,the gears in it are still perfect so it wasnt wind load that banjaxed it.
    It was working well ,just prone to wind shifting it every so often.

A T90 would allow me to cover 1w to 39e and have fast switching.
    However the signal on 16e,7e and 1w could be weak .
    They are also a huge dish and I dont fancy wall mounting it,I cannot ground mount it .
    I've also read that the newer T90 dishes are made from very poor metal ,mass produced in China and are prone to wind stress and rust.

The football season is nearly over so I have some time to get ready for next season .:)

There actually isnt much difference in cost between a 5 sat multifeed setup and a good motor as I have a few spare lnbs here.
    I'd only need a multi adapter,2 slimlnbs (for 16e),1 standard lnb and a 6 way Diseqc switch.
    I wouldnt have anymore realignment issues and I'd have fast switching but my viewing would be limited to 5 satellites.

My motor developed an electrical fault,the gears in it are still perfect so it wasnt wind load that banjaxed it.
    It was working well ,just prone to wind shifting it every so often.

A T90 would allow me to cover 1w to 39e and have fast switching.
    However the signal on 16e,7e and 1w could be weak .
    They are also a huge dish and I dont fancy wall mounting it,I cannot ground mount it .
    I've also read that the newer T90 dishes are made from very poor metal ,mass produced in China and are prone to wind stress and rust.

The football season is nearly over so I have some time to get ready for next season .:)

Yup your right im only making a multi lnb bracket because i have spare lnbs!

While the footie season is over and you have a few spare lnbs you should have a go at doing a DIY job to see what kinda signal you can get!

dsc00534s.jpg

Upgraded my dish on my motor to a 1m with black inverto ultra lnb...

And have the DIY Multi Arm on the 80cm dish pulling in 28 east, 19 east and 13 east (13 east lnb not in photo sorry will update it soon!)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

We're in the middle of an extension so I've decided to move some of the dishes to they're final resting place, I hope.

I along with a pal placed the newly powdered coated mounting mast on the side of the extension that looks south.

picture.php?albumid=1849&pictureid=10607

Hope to do more soon, I need to pick up some resin expansion bolts for fixing the lower end of the mast the top part is fixed with threaded bar going through the wall.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

An 80 cm dish with 6 degree mono block for 13E and 19E.
    Tooway dish for Internet. ( I think its 74cm and going to 9E??)
    Zone 1 dish for Freesat, 28E (2nd quad only used for experiment)

2nd Picture
    Wide band aerial for Saorview, Forth Mth, Wexford
    Group B for Freeview,Presili, Wales

Humax Freesat Hdr and Goodmans sat for free for 28E
    Ferguson Ariva HD combo for 13E, 19E and Irish digital terrestrial
    Freeview to the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

FRIENDO wrote: »
    An 80 cm dish with 6 degree mono block for 13E and 19E.
    Tooway dish for Internet. ( I think its 74cm and going to 9E??)
    Zone 1 dish for Freesat, 28E (2nd quad only used for experiment)

2nd Picture
    Wide band aerial for Saorview, Forth Mth, Wexford
    Group B for Freeview,Presili, Wales

Humax Freesat Hdr and Goodmans sat for free for 28E
    Ferguson Ariva HD combo for 13E, 19E and Irish digital terrestrial
    Freeview to the TV.

Good setup,how did you mount the offset lnb's on the minidish?

Slightly off topic but why are you using satellite broadband when Permanet have a mast on Forth Mountain which would surely offer a better service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Hi Zerks, the off set LNB on the Zone 1 dish was only ever experimental and I never had it working.
    I keep meaning to take it down.

I live approx 24 miles from Forth, I never tried Permanet, however in the past I have used both Vodafone modem and Regional Broadband, both services let me down and I found to be very unsutiable to my location.

I find the tooway to be working great at the moment and I also like satellite dishes.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭RimaNTSS

Hi All!
    Just a small update on my SATplayground. During this summer I have got several 80cm antennas (9 EUR each), 120cm offset (20 EUR), 150cm prime-focus (10EUR) and 180cm prime-focus (35 EUR, still to be aerographed and mounted). And then, I hope, before snow connect everything together, tune-up and watch peacefully on my Dreambox .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Rick_

I have just 28.2E in the living room and 19.2E and 28.2E in the bedroom. I'm considering scrapping 19.2E as there's not much on there any more I want to watch, and waiting until Saorsat is fully launched and available, and having 9E and 28.2E in the living room and bedroom. I doubt there will ever be a box that would do full 7 day EPG for the two services, so may just have to keep using my Foxsat HDR to receive both and switch between Freesat and Non-Freesat mode to watch UK or Irish channels. Recording could be a mess though considering the Humax's problems with switching and the likes.

Greenman wrote: »
    We're in the middle of an extension so I've decided to move some of the dishes to they're final resting place, I hope.

I along with a pal placed the newly powdered coated mounting mast on the side of the extension that looks south.

picture.php?albumid=1849&pictureid=10607

Hope to do more soon, I need to pick up some resin expansion bolts for fixing the lower end of the mast the top part is fixed with threaded bar going through the wall.:)

Finally got more done.

picture.php?albumid=1849&pictureid=10760

I've got the Wavefrontier connected to the DB.

Need to connect other boxes soon, will get more coax on saturday.

picture.php?albumid=1849&pictureid=10761

More pics to follow.:)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

@Greenman: Would a storm not push that toroidal off kilter, since it's extended out on a bracket. Can't help but think it'd pivot... maybe you get no storms. Looks good anyway. Power coated mast looks the part.

byte wrote: »
    @Greenman: Would a storm not push that toroidal off kilter, since it's extended out on a bracket. Can't help but think it'd pivot... maybe you get no storms. Looks good anyway. Power coated mast looks the part.

Here was the first site of the T-90, it moved once as it was not tightened enough, I retigtened it and it never budged.:)

picture.php?albumid=407&pictureid=7248

Excuse the building rubbish but here was the second site and it never budged from day one.:)

picture.php?albumid=280&pictureid=10762

In short if it does budge it a 5 minute job to get back on sat.:)

Below is setup number one in the early 2000's:)

picture.php?albumid=280&pictureid=1331

Then it was on to setup number two 2008.:)

picture.php?albumid=280&pictureid=1329

Then on to setup number three.:)

picture.php?albumid=280&pictureid=3753

So now its setup number four.:)

Watch this space.:D

• Advertisement

More work done today, the cableing of the Dreambox is done, as its normally the final I hope resting place I've used the compression plugs and tried to do a tidy cable job as per pics.

picture.php?albumid=1849&pictureid=10765

picture.php?albumid=1849&pictureid=10764

picture.php?albumid=1849&pictureid=10763

:):):)

Advertisement