Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BEER REVIEWS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Zaph wrote: »
    Absolute, complete and utter píss that I wouldn't use to clean my drains with. It's the only beer I've ever physically handed back to a barman and asked for something different. This was abroad, years before it was available here and I didn't realise what I was ordering. And as for the poncey bit of lime in the bottle, don't get me started...

Have to agree. One beer I hate (I'd drink it if it was given to me though).

It's probably people who consider Corona a premium beer I hate more than the beer itself. They charge a ridiculous amount for it and people think it's a premium beer even though it tastes like shíte?

I used to work for the company who distributes it here in Ireland. The amount it sold in pubs and clubs was ridiculous. Down to the price in the off licence again. Because Miller, Heino etc. is €1 - €1.50 a bottle in your local off-licence, people consider Corona to be a better beer cos it's stupidly expensive. In a pub all long necks will be the same price, so people will go for Corona. Say what you want about Miller, Heino etc. but Corona is in a league of shítness of it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lukasz.

Saruman wrote: »
    I spent a great sunny day a while back drinking Franziskaner, I compared it to a Paulaner and I also had a munchen pilsner.

http://www.taleofale.com/2009/02/there-are-now-three-decent-beers-at-my.html

hmm,i have tried the Paulaner before,it has a very distinct taste,and a quality product too.

i remember i bought a case of Paulaner last summer! they didnt last long,thats all ill say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

Corona dosent even have a taste!! Have to agree, can never understand why so many people buy 6 bottles of it in an off license, at a crazy price, when they could be getting something half decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lukasz.

Corona dosent even have a taste!! Have to agree, can never understand why so many people buy 6 bottles of it in an off license, at a crazy price, when they could be getting something half decent.

Corona....i really dont see why people make such a big deal out of it,its too expensive in off licences,way too expensive in pubs too.

Ohhhh,and you know what really gets on my wick?? Yeah? Wanna know?

is when you see dudes getting the little slices of lime,literally shoving the lime into the bottle,they then stopper the bottle with a finger(index finger) and proceed to turn the bottle upside down,back and forth several times.They take their finger out,and beer (sorry,suddy water) everywhere.

Ive seen that happen twice down the porter house.

Good grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The way I used to do Corona, is the way I do Negra Modello in the US and thats to stick my tongue in the top and turn it upside down which forces the lime down the bottom and there is no loss of beer as when its upright, the bottle is still in my mouth.

Negra Modello is a good beer though, corona is terrible stuff.
    I started brewing a dark cerveza so it should be like corona but dark and with luck, have some actual character and taste and with luck, be like Negra Modello.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The_M

I have never really understood the facination with Corona, except damn good marketing. We even have Corona Lite! I mean water comes from the sink doesn't it?

The Modello is damn good and I have always liked Dos XX Amber!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

Lidl have Staropramen at €1.49 a bottle at the moment, you will not find a finer beer at that price anywhere in the land.

Other must try beers i'm loving at the moment are:

Innis & Gunn (no1 in my eyes)
    Delerium Tremens (8.6% belgian genius)
    Trappistes Rochefort
    Cobra
    Biera Morretti
    Keo
    Zywiec
    Lech
    Tyskie (also 1.49 at lidl)
    Zylaty Bazant
    Chimay
    Duval
    Leffe
    Erdinger Oktoberfest

too many beers too little time for a review just buy the I&G if ye can and drink it nice and cold and slowly in an open goblet type glass. unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

im big cobra fan goes very well with foods that stay on your tongue, picked up a pack up north for less than 1euro per 33cl bottle, very dear down south, i have say im a sucker for heineken import also purchased up north for less than euro a bottle, dont like buy much but price diff was massive.
    On the other beers, golosch hasnt been mentioned think its dutch, got mine in austria in a really cool old style plastic cap with metal top tat u flick on and off like old cider glass bottles, very tasty beer.
    Also a fan of budvar czech republics big brand beer, but i have had a handful of good beers in czech republic starbrno if i remember rightly, also the czech pilsner aint bad.

On the corono subject yeah its water id feel bad drinkin sumones corono its such rip off and i think it tastes along lines of a 1euro a can beer. Guy lives with me brings back a calfornian beer that is naturally brewed no addictives had a candian sounding name anyone know it.

I see leffe mentioned had one these two while on holiday its ok, i do have thing bout driknin from dark bottles lol, reminds me of awful london pride lol.
    Also staringbro i thinks its calledd is nice.

Just goes to show how different personal tastes are. Innis & Gunn is probably the worst beer I have tasted

And London Pride is one of the best, a favourite among beer lovers the world over.

Staropramen is made with corn syrup as far as i know... something very wrong with that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

manafana wrote: »
    im big cobra fan
    Let me stop you right there. It's an English beer dating from pretending to be a genuine Indian beer. In the US it is illegal for some people older than the brand to drink it. It's a cynical marketing exercise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra_Beer
    Cobra Beer was founded in 1989 by Arjun Reddy and Karan Bilimoria, then aged 27 and £20,000 in debt. A Cambridge law graduate and qualified Chartered Accountant, Bilimoria launched Cobra Beer after spotting a gap in the market for a less gassy lager.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Saruman wrote:
    Still served with Lime, the purpose of which is to bring out the citrus flavour as opposed to Corona which just gives it flavour.
    Wasn't the lime to wipe down the neck of the bottle to kill off germs and stuff ?

Gentlemen, Corona: guilty pleasure, wimmins drink or perfect accompaniment to a warm summers day?

Tusker beer with the green label is quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The_M

Wasn't the lime to wipe down the neck of the bottle to kill off germs and stuff ?

I thought that was what your dirty sleeve was for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

anyone know of other beers that taste good with a lime then? citrus rocks

syngindub wrote: »
    back in my student days
    hapric with lime on a hot summers day

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

What sort of a question is that to be asking here? Fruit in beer is wrong, end of discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Try Sol or Desperados beers,it will work with both.

Skillie wrote: »
    Lidl have Staropramen at €1.49 a bottle at the moment, you will not find a finer beer at that price anywhere in the land.

Other must try beers i'm loving at the moment are:

Innis & Gunn (no1 in my eyes)
    Delerium Tremens (8.6% belgian genius)
    Trappistes Rochefort
    Cobra
    Biera Morretti
    Keo
    Zywiec
    Lech
    Tyskie (also 1.49 at lidl)
    Zylaty Bazant
    Chimay
    Duval
    Leffe
    Erdinger Oktoberfest

too many beers too little time for a review just buy the I&G if ye can and drink it nice and cold and slowly in an open goblet type glass. unreal
    Have'nt tried the Zylaty Bazant,is it polish?.I will have to hunt down a bottle to try it out.
    If you get the chance try out "Kwak" (belgium beer)If you get your hands on a gift set the glass is unusual to say the least,but adds to the experience.

Saruman wrote: »
    Innis & Gunn is probably the worst beer I have tasted.

I sincerely doubt that. its not to everyones taste but calling it the worst beer you ever tasted is a bit OTT
    Staropramen is made with corn syrup as far as i know... something very wrong with that.

It could be made with blended nappy fillings for all i care its damn nice. nothing wrong with it in my book
    Let me stop you right there. It's an English beer dating from pretending to be a genuine Indian beer. In the US it is illegal for some people older than the brand to drink it. It's a cynical marketing exercise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra_Beer

so the guy can't enjoy Cobra because its not telling the truth abot its origins? Cobra is a lovely beer the guy likes it, so be it

Have'nt tried the Zylaty Bazant,is it polish?.I will have to hunt down a bottle to try it out.
    If you get the chance try out "Kwak" (belgium beer)If you get your hands on a gift set the glass is unusual to say the least,but adds to the experience.

thanks for the tip will do

Zlaty Bazant is slovakian

try Svytury Ekstra also its lithuanian

• Advertisement

What sort of a question is that to be asking here? Fruit in beer is wrong, end of discussion.

Actually a slice of orange in Blue Moon or Bells Oberon is actually pretty good.
    Witbeer can contain lime peel in the brewing process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

where can one get Blue Moon over here?? had this over in a little bar in NJ last Summer & was so refreshing with a slice of orange!

I've always wanted to try strawberry beer, where they put it in the bottle when making it , I think it's supposed to ferment increasing the alcohol or something like that. maybe it's like the tequila worm

Adding fruit to a beer that's already brewed is just not right.

Lots of flavour.....Yum Yum.
    Just had a bottle of this belgium trappist beer,really liked it i will be trying it again.Last year had a bottle of the number 8 ,not as strong but just as nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Lots of flavour.....Yum Yum.
    Just had a bottle of this belgium trappist beer,really liked it i will be trying it again.Last year had a bottle of the number 8 ,not as strong but just as nice.

Good beer off licences throughout the country are the green pins on this MAP
    A few of the should stock it if you are interested

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

just had a cobra with dinner think it went down pretty well its a good beer from the bottle, also had a staropramen picked it up for 2euro in lidl, very nice beer have to say, anyone see camden st off licene doing 5 foreign beers for 10euro, also londis on college green do 5leechs for 10eu

where can one get Blue Moon over here?? had this over in a little bar in NJ last Summer & was so refreshing with a slice of orange!

To my knowledge you can not get it here.
    It is a pity as it is the only decent beer owned by Coors that I know of, though there could be more as Coors pretend they do not own it as they know that would diminish its appeal. That should tell them something you would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I picked up a bottle up north

• Registered Users Posts: 7,949 ✭✭✭DenMan

Staropramen is an lovely beer, really like it. In fact I had one when I got back from a gig last night. A1 beer that's for sure.

• Advertisement

last night i had Guiness, 1795, Duvel, Vedette, Peroni all very good Duvel was by far the best though

Advertisement