Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donncha Ó'Dúlaing to retire in April

• 28-03-2015 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

One of RTE Radio 1s longest running shows, Fáilte Isteach ends on april 25th, as Donncha Ó'Dúlaing retires after 50 years on air.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Nokia 2630 wrote: »
    One of RTE Radio 1s longest running shows, Fáilte Isteach ends on april 25th, as Donncha Ó'Dúlaing retires after 50 years on air.

I didn't know he was still on the radio. I remember Highways and Byways (with a Horslips tune as its title music) from the late 70s or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Donnachas a legend but what will the nuns of the country listen to now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Oops69 wrote: »
    Donnachas a legend but what will the nuns of the country listen to now ?
    That was my first thought when I heard about Donncha's retirement.

Why did so many nuns listen to his show? They couldn't get enough of him.

Hope Donncha has a lovely retirement.

He was to Charleville what Joe Duffy is to Clontarf.

Pull out the door after you Donncha and for God's sake turn off the electric fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I didn't know he was still on the radio. I remember Highways and Byways (with a Horslips tune as its title music) from the late 70s or thereabouts.

That was a Donncha program right enough but it was called 'three o one' and the theme tune was 'Flower among them all' by Horslips.

Here's a video of them playing it in front of a noisy audience, Barry Devlin introduces it and mentions the fact that it was the theme tune to 'three o one'...

Jump straight to 00:25 (25 seconds) .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO8EOZv1HVU

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 dinny_byrne

conorh91 wrote: »
    That was my first thought when I heard about Donncha's retirement.

Why did so many nuns listen to his show? They couldn't get enough of him.

Hope Donncha has a lovely retirement.

He was to Charleville what Joe Duffy is to Clontarf.

Pull out the door after you Donncha and for God's sake turn off the electric fire.

and think you meant to say ballyfermot rather than clontarf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

Donnacha recently read out a letter from a listener who wrote that he was happy that RTE gave longwave a reprieve, To which Donnacha said "im glad something around here got a reprieve" So maybe his Retirement isn't voluntary ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Expunge

Donnacha recently read out a letter from a listener who wrote that he was happy that RTE gave longwave a reprieve, To which Donnacha said "im glad something around here got a reprieve" So maybe his Retirement isn't voluntary ?

He's had a very, very good run by anyone's standards. Maybe he's jealous of Gay Byrne? Donnacha must be in his eighties?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's a sad fact of life but some people have to be pushed. A recent example of a veteran broadcaster whistling past the graveyard was David Jacobs over on BBC R2. He was given a last slot as a swansong, I listened to it and felt very sad for him and at the same time angry that he was allowed to go out with a programme where the poor guy could barely talk. Despite that, he wrapped up the programme with a defiant 'I'll be back from time to time'. He died four weeks later.

For their own dignity, someone has to tell them when it's time to hang up the headphones and spare them the ignominy of practically falling down dead in the studio.

Advertisement