Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pointless Nature of the Ronan Collins "Hour".

• 07-02-2012 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭

Okay.

I'll preface by saying that I actually like Ronan, he has a rapport with his grey headed audience, keeping them well provided with nostalgia, birthdays, and death notices.

But what in the blue blazes, is the point of having him on for a mere hour, and using that hour as a waste receptacle for everything else they have to get through?

Today for example (sorry, it's a quiet day):

1200-1206: Benny Bells, news, and intro-before he even gets to start the show.

(plays two songs)

1211-1216: A four minute promo for some gig, and a minute of ads.

(plays three songs)

1228-1233: Nuacht, agus aimsir as Gaeilge, followed by another ad or two.

(three songs again)

1242-1246: Almost four minutes of Joe Duff, telling us what won't be on our Lahvlahn today.

(gets the last complete song in, the ninth of the show-comprising twenty five minutes of music so far since midday)

From 1250, another ad, then Ronan scrambles to get through the last of the birthdays, today spending another minute or two on the promo-leaving him, every shagging time-with a spare minute before he breaks at 1257 for the final ad break. And instead of talking, he thinks we should get thirty seconds of a song instead!

Pointless. Stick PK or whoever is replacing him on at nine instead, dump John Murray and have Ronan take over from either eleven, or half past until the News At One.

Or else let him retire to rest his voice-he's been battling gamely with a sore throat for months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Cant believe he gets a couple of hundred grand for 5 hours work a week

may not be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

To my mind Ronan is only passing his time there.

Listen to the number of apologies for being late with a request or missing a date. It rings or total lack of preparation.

Don't get me wrong, I like his programme but a bit more professionalism would be nice.

For an authority on Irish showbands he rarely if ever plays trad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Okay.

I'll preface by saying that I actually like Ronan, he has a rapport with his grey headed audience, keeping them well provided with nostalgia, birthdays, and death notices.

But what in the blue blazes, is the point of having him on for a mere hour, and using that hour as a waste receptacle for everything else they have to get through?

Today for example (sorry, it's a quiet day):

1200-1206: Benny Bells, news, and intro-before he even gets to start the show.

(plays two songs)

1211-1216: A four minute promo for some gig, and a minute of ads.

(plays three songs)

1228-1233: Nuacht, agus aimsir as Gaeilge, followed by another ad or two.

(three songs again)

1242-1246: Almost four minutes of Joe Duff, telling us what won't be on our Lahvlahn today.

(gets the last complete song in, the ninth of the show-comprising twenty five minutes of music so far since midday)

From 1250, another ad, then Ronan scrambles to get through the last of the birthdays, today spending another minute or two on the promo-leaving him, every shagging time-with a spare minute before he breaks at 1257 for the final ad break. And instead of talking, he thinks we should get thirty seconds of a song instead!

Pointless. Stick PK or whoever is replacing him on at nine instead, dump John Murray and have Ronan take over from either eleven, or half past until the News At One.

Or else let him retire to rest his voice-he's been battling gamely with a sore throat for months.

Excellent post, consider your quiet day well spent. You have in forensic detail highlighted the utter waste and stupidity of rte management. I too like Ronan but he should be on lyric or put out to pasture, i keep saying there are plenty of younger jocks with young families who would jump at a fraction of ronan collins' wages, jaysis id work an 40 hour week for a quarter of his wages :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

may not be true
    whatabout all the "research" he has do in preparation for the show? :) he does have a very handy number

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭deanswift

heybaby wrote: »
    Excellent post, consider your quiet day well spent. You have in forensic detail highlighted the utter waste and stupidity of rte management. I too like Ronan but he should be on lyric or put out to pasture, i keep saying there are plenty of younger jocks with young families who would jump at a fraction of ronan collins' wages, jaysis id work an 40 hour week for a quarter of his wages :)

RTE management obviously want rid of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

tbh I think he's pissed off at the timeslot that he's been given. His show as well illustrated by Roundys OP, is truncated and full of interruptions the like no other presenter has to put up with (I'm sure that even the dreadful John Murrays' Hour is devoid of promos, news breaks, bells or a shameless Duffyesque spiel from Pat Kenny).

In the absence of any major overhaul to the RTE 1 morning/afternoon schedule, it's actually pointless having a music show at all for this hour, certainly not before 3pm. I do like Ronan Collins, and if I had my way would drop Mooney and give him a 3 - 5 timeslot, after Christmas RC gets an additional hour or so and seems far more relaxed and indeed, professional. The godawful Mary Wilson hardly needs an additional half-hour to hone her natural rudeness and inane questioning so Drivetime can wait til 5.

While I can appreciate that a "light" programme is usually ideal between Pat Kenny and The News at One, maybe a revamped "Rattlebag" type arts/review show could fill in the time more suitably than this now often confusing musical/promo hour offering does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That 12-1 pm slot has been a bane for the station even though someone will probably tell me the ratings are just grand. I reckon Newstalk are very happy to see it continue to limp along.

Being me I'd have junked it years ago and used that slot to showcase programmes of comedy, drama and panel games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

europa11 wrote: »
    In the absence of any major overhaul to the RTE 1 morning/afternoon schedule, it's actually pointless having a music show at all for this hour, certainly not before 3pm. I do like Ronan Collins, and if I had my way would drop Mooney and give him a 3 - 5 timeslot, after Christmas RC gets an additional hour or so and seems far more relaxed and indeed, professional. The godawful Mary Wilson hardly needs an additional half-hour to hone her natural rudeness and inane questioning so Drivetime can wait til 5.

I'd love to see the back of Mooney-and this would be an excellent way to do it. I'd definitely tune in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

He's getting old, he needs lots of wee wee breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

I'd love to see the back of Mooney-and this would be an excellent way to do it. I'd definitely tune in.

You really havent a clue have you. Have you seen the listenership figures for both Mooney and Collins. Come back with a post that makes sense once you know what you are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Derryleigh wrote: »
    You really havent a clue have you. Have you seen the listenership figures for both Mooney and Collins. Come back with a post that makes sense once you know what you are talking about.

Are you related to Mooney or something? No need to be confrontational. It's just a discussion going on here. Nothing more.

I would point out that a lot of the listenership that Mooney has can be attributed to the fact that one of the country's most-listened to shows is on immediately before him.

If they played the Angelus on continuous loop after Liveline, there'd still be a few listeners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Don't worry about it Kraggy. Derryleigh is that most futile of individuals, complaining endlessly about those he sees as complaining.

Criticism is a foreign concept to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,260 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

europa11 wrote: »
    tbh I think he's pissed off at the timeslot that he's been given. His show as well illustrated by Roundys OP, is truncated and full of interruptions the like no other presenter has to put up with (I'm sure that even the dreadful John Murrays' Hour is devoid of promos, news breaks, bells or a shameless Duffyesque spiel from Pat Kenny).

While I can appreciate that a "light" programme is usually ideal between Pat Kenny and The News at One, maybe a revamped "Rattlebag" type arts/review show could fill in the time more suitably than this now often confusing musical/promo hour offering does.

A few years ago, John Creedon used to be on 3.30 till 5 playing 'stacks' of music. RTE will argue that with 'Arena' on in the evenings, there's no need to bring 'Rattlebag' back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭donaghs

Derryleigh wrote: »

Back again defending RTE's "public service"? Just because Mooney and Collins have high listenership figures relative to other DJs, does that mean they can't do better?

Also, what's the point of having popular DJs and show, and getting income from BOTH advertising and the licence fee, if RTE still can make staggering losses.
    e.g. in 2011: http://www.independent.ie/business/media/rte-to-cut-staff-as-losses-hit-25m-2575535.html

Not to mention the annual "subvention" which the RTe get from the government (us).

The problems with RTE all go back the fact that they can extract half their income from the general public, with the threat of court/fines/jail, via the unfair licence fee. If they had to live within their own means for a few years, it might make for an interesting shake-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

RoundyMooney and donaghs: your good intentions are appreciated, however please keep the discussion here on topic - i.e.: talk about the radio show in question and refrain from having a go at other posters here. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

I don't have an particular problem with Ronan Collins but the slot makes no sense after Pat Kenny and before the News at One. I think Rattlebag worked much better at this slot while Arena - complete with the awful promo music - is on at time when people are watching the films or reading the books so what's the point.

It probably very awkward to serve the multiple demographics that listen to Radio One but I'd imagine that the Ronan Collins hour results in many people switching over to NewsTalk..and often forgetting to switch back for the news at one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

mike65 wrote: »
    That 12-1 pm slot has been a bane for the station even though someone will probably tell me the ratings are just grand. I reckon Newstalk are very happy to see it continue to limp along.

Being me I'd have junked it years ago and used that slot to showcase programmes of comedy, drama and panel games.

But that would mean having to script and plan a show out, rather than just winging it with the minimum of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭bureau2009

The problem with the Ronan Collins show is.......Ronan Collins!!!

The two best music presenters on Radio 1 are Shay Byrne and John Creedon. If I were Controller of Radio 1 I'd slot either of them on at 12 midday - they deserve a high profile slot.

And if I were the Controller of Radio 1 then Ronan Collins would be.................!!!????!???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

"Hello to Aunty Mary and Gang-gang who's 136 years old.... "

Awful stuff.. The show is carried by the shows either side of it.

As soon as I hear the first trumpet on the above, it's bang... radio on to Newstalk..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

only time i listen to the ronan collins show is when that young mild mannered DJ stands in for him , he,s got great taste in tunes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

irishh_bob wrote: »
    only time i listen to the ronan collins show is when that young mild mannered DJ stands in for him , he,s got great taste in tunes

Oh yeah I've mentioned him before.. Cathal Murray.. he's got a real nice voice and a real nice way about him..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

A show aimed at old folks should be on later at night or at weekends, to hear the stuff he plays you would swear punk never happened, I'm nearly 50 but listen to stuff like Arcade Fire and M83 not Daniel O'Donnell as does everyone else I know, straight after Kenny I switch to BBC 6 or BBC4 and back for News at One.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Was painting an empty an apartment once. I took along a radio for some company, always turned if off once the PK show was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Ronan Collins used to present the afternoon show on rte in the early to mid ninetes used to be on just after liveline and went on till near five

He used to come with this guff every friday " the minister has declared the weekend has started" he obivously tought he was funny He was also a dj on RTE radio 2 in its earlier years before moving to radio1 Looks like hes marking time now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Collins should be shipped off to Lyric FM and the midday slot on Radio 1 should be devoted to a daily hour long discussion about the non existant (but desirable) lesbian relationship between Kathryn Thomas and the Seoige sisters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

goose2005 wrote: »
    But that would mean having to script and plan a show out, rather than just winging it with the minimum of effort.

Oh I know, the Wooly Jumper format is dirt cheap (RC would probably turn up for work even if he wasn't being paid!) investing in writing and production is the last thing RTE want to do, they didn't lift a finger during their advertising boom period so they sure won't do it now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

This guy is a "painting by numbers" presenter.

Does the show on Auto PIloy bland /bland.

Take this goon offff

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭bureau2009

This guy is a "painting by numbers" presenter.

Does the show on Auto PIloy bland /bland.

Take this goon offff
    Thank you so much Fulton Crown! You've put into words EXACTLY what I feel.

With loads of much more talented presenters available RTE is doing a huge dis-service to their listeners.

Note to RTE Radio Management - try and become a LISTENER CENTRED station, not a so called "personality" station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Lapin wrote: »
    Collins should be shipped off to Lyric FM

Lyric already has it's quota of geriatrics spinning lollipops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Lapin wrote: »
    Collins should be shipped off to Lyric FM

I thought Lyric FM was a station for people who liked classical music, not some sort of scheme for otherwise unemployable DJs?

Advertisement