Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Election 2016 - Louth Constituiency

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Wow thats a poor bunch of candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

Wow thats a poor bunch of candidates.

You got that right.....depressing. The fact that Gerry will top the poll when he doesnt know one end of the county from the other is laughable. Then you have FF trying to run a dundalk woman as a Drogheda candidate, the genius who thought that one up should try stand-up as a new career.

Munster does a lot of good work on the ground but i'm loathe to vote for her on the off-chance that SF might get into power.

Had my first two canvessers of the campaign at the door tonight for Imelda. Nice blokes, honest & upfront. I asked them would Imelda be in favour of complulsory redundancies in the Public Service to get rid of the dead wood & they said yes. Then asked would she say that if there was a journalist recording & they laughed. Same with cutting Social Welfare for the 'welfare class'.......no chance of saying that in public! Told them i'd rather vote for Fitzer (who I wouldnt pi$$ on if he was on fire) than Adams, they said they wouldnt blame me but to keep Imelda in mind for a preference.

SF should take 2 seats once they get their vote management right. I'd imagine that O'Dowd should do just enough. That would leave 2 from the south of the county & 1 from the "north" of the county. There'll definitely be a 2nd dundalk seat which if the FF poll numbers nationally are right, should mean Breathnach gets in.

The last seat will be interesting. With no realistic Mid-Louth or East Meath candidate, these votes will be crucial. If Ged Nash wants to have any hope to get in, he has to go for a full court press in Drogheda & East Meath on him being a better option for the area than a Dundalk candidate & that he has ok prospects of being a cabinet minister if he gets back in. None of the other candidates have that carrot to offer unless SF knocks it out of the park nationally. I dont think he'll do enough which will open the door for Fitzer, who must be the worst example of a politican going.

Personally, I'll be voting Drogheda only down the list. Havent decided in which order yet & may even give Munster a preference if SF's poll no's drop nationally. It'll be a case of which of them turns my stomach the least.

Pighead wrote: »
    Why do you doubt Sinn Fein will get two seats? Munster is a pretty strong favourite to get in.

I doubt they'll hit 32% on the day. It'll be pretty tight for the last seat, someone will get in without hitting the quota.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Adams and Munster.. you couldnt make it up.

I'm still unsure and probably will be by the time election day comes. Kevin Callan Independent is showing up on my Facebook newsfeed several times a day. Videos of him out canvassing all over Louth, links he shares where he highlights certain topics etc. He's certainly giving it a fair crack on the ground. It's bad though when this bare-minimum is enough to make me think "Yeah I guess I'd vote for that person". The fact that he left his previous party (FG) over a dispute with the party line (their stance on Irish Water) is a nice sign of integrity also.

There is no one inspiring though, someone like a Catherine Murphy IMO. I can see through almost everyone of them right through to the reasons they are really there, starting but not ending with Gerry. I'd be more likely to run into Leonardo DiCaprio on a Louth street during non-election time than Gerry Adams. Peter Fitzpatrick with FG is an example of what's wrong with Irish politics, no harm to the man himself. "Here, you are the county team manager, could get us a rake of votes, you're in" - "But I don't know much about running a country" - "Doesn't matter, you'll fit right in"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Pegmatite

stankratz wrote: »
    The fact that he left his previous party (FG) over a dispute with the party line (their stance on Irish Water) is a nice sign of integrity also.

I suspect that this had more to do with him wanting to run for the Dail. And that never happening while their were still members of the O'Dowd family in Drogheda FG could run.

Anyone know if Jeff Rudd is still running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Pegmatite wrote: »

He's on the list when I googled it there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

If you bothered to follow the link that was given to you in reply to your other question, you'd know the answer to that question. (Similarly, Google would also answer your question far more quickly than anyone here could)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Anyone looking for integrity and honesty look up Garrett Weldon. He has been campaigning against water charges and household tax for the last few years. He is running for the people of Louth and not for the paycheque.

• Advertisement

Meeoow wrote: »
    Anyone looking for integrity and honesty look up Garrett Weldon. He has been campaigning against water charges and household tax for the last few years. He is running for the people of Louth and not for the paycheque.

And he hasn't a hope. A waste of a vote.

I suspect that this had more to do with him wanting to run for the Dail. And that never happening while their were still members of the O'Dowd family in Drogheda FG could run.

And this is why I need this thread!

I'm in a quandary. I didn't vote FG or Labour last time but I like what they have achieved in a relatively short time. But the candidates I like don't match the parties. I believe a General Election is primarily about government and the national interest and not parish or county politics, so feel policies should predominate over personalities.

But, if I think FG deserve to keep at it how can I vote for Fitzer?

All I know is I'll never vote SF but beyond that I'm torn.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,462 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Are you fcekin mad?
    He's a moron.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I just did that SmartVote quiz and it said Weldon most matches by stances :P

Gerry Adams at #2, Munster #3. Conor #4. Greene #5.

Can't say, looking at the results, it's altogether wrong, though I don't know **** all about Weldon and the DDI duo. Must look into them.

Are you fcekin mad?
    He's a moron.

He is far from a moron. Do you know him? Cause I do and he'll be getting my number 1

I knew Garrett back in school days. I wouldn't have voted for him as a class rep, I'm certainly not going to vote for him for the Dail.

Also, "integrity and honesty" are not qualities that I feel are compatible with people whose sole platform appears to be "I don't want to pay my own way in society". Pay your way, sponger. The rest of us do.

He is far from a moron. Do you know him? Cause I do and he'll be getting my number 1

Good for you. Vote for your friend but do you really think he's government material? I've read his blurb and watched his RTE video. No chance of a preference on my paper at all, as I believe in paying my way and getting this country working and out of debt.

Yep I do. Moron he is. You are wasting your vote.

I knew Garrett back in school days. I wouldn't have voted for him as a class rep, I'm certainly not going to vote for him for the Dail.

Also, "integrity and honesty" are not qualities that I feel are compatible with people whose sole platform appears to be "I don't want to pay my own way in society". Pay your way, sponger. The rest of us do.

We all pay our own way. If you want to let the government screw you over go ahead. I am quite happy paying for water treatment through vat and motor tax. I already paid for my house. I'm not paying to live in it. I'm no sponger. Just someone with enough cop on not to be brainwashed

• Advertisement

I am quite happy paying for water treatment through vat and motor tax.

Ok, so your pay for the up keep of the infrastructure through Irish water.

Or would you prefer a increase in VAT and road tax to cover it.

I'm in a quandary. I didn't vote FG or Labour last time but I like what they have achieved in a relatively short time. But the candidates I like don't match the parties. I believe a General Election is primarily about government and the national interest and not parish or county politics, so feel policies should predominate over personalities.

But, if I think FG deserve to keep at it how can I vote for Fitzer?

All I know is I'll never vote SF but beyond that I'm torn.

If (like me) you believe that the best chance the country has is to continue with the current government, then you need to vote for the parties and not the candidates.

Therefore, if you're in the N half of the county:

Fitz > O'Dowd > Moran > Nash (if you're more FG leaning)
    or
    Moran > Nash > Fitz > O'Dowd (if you're more Lab leaning)

or in the S half of the county:

O'Dowd > Fitz > Nash > Moran
    or
    Nash > Moran > O'Dowd > Fitz

We all pay our own way. If you want to let the government screw you over go ahead. I am quite happy paying for water treatment through vat and motor tax. I already paid for my house. I'm not paying to live in it. I'm no sponger. Just someone with enough cop on not to be brainwashed

And what exactly is Weldon going to do for you in that regard?
    He won't get anywhere near a thousand votes.

Without diverting this to the water charges issue, you do not pay for water through vat and motor tax, nor paye for that matter - although you failed to mention that basic tax.. Will you refund taxes to those who provide their own sewage treatment or water supply as they have obviously been overcharged?

Why pay for electricity. The state owns ESB so we already are paying. I pay tax that subsides CIE so why do I pay for a fare?

Get real.

Good for you. Vote for your friend but do you really think he's government material? I've read his blurb and watched his RTE video. No chance of a preference on my paper at all, as I believe in paying my way and getting this country working and out of debt.

Glad you have studied the candidates and are still considering FG. And you think Weldon is a wasted vote?

Glad you have studied the candidates and are still considering FG. And you think Weldon is a wasted vote?

You've lost me. I said I'm considering all, but FG are certainly right up there at present. At least I'm looking at every candidate, bar SF, and educating myself on the policies of each one of them.

Yes, least there be any confusion, I definitely think he is a wasted vote. But such is democracy. We'll see what the electorate decides and I'll abide by their decision.

If (like me) you believe that the best chance the country has is to continue with the current government, then you need to vote for the parties and not the candidates.

or

or

That's more or less how it's panning out but I don't hold with this North South notion, I'm afraid.

He is not going to get enough votes to get elected. You might aswell vote for Biggins.

That's more or less how it's panning out but I don't hold with this North South notion, I'm afraid.

The North/South thing is about vote management and maximising possibilities to return multiple candidates for the parties.

• Advertisement

or

or

In fairness how could anyone vote for Fitzpatrick?
    He can hardly speak the language and was selected only because he would get the GAA vote.
    The man is completely useless.
    This rubbish of putting the party before the town or county is madness.
    Vote for someone who will do something for your area i.e. work to get services back in the Louth County Hospital or jobs for the area.
    Fitzpatrick won't do that. He would barely know how to get to it.

Advertisement