Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hunger Games

• 05-04-2011 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source

Josh Hutcherson has won the roll of Peeta, while Liam Hemsworth will play Gale in the upcoming film adaptation of Suzanne Collins wildly popular teen book series, Lionsgate announced Monday.
    Both actors will star opposite Jennifer Lawrence who earned the lead role of Katniss, the scrappy heroine who represents her district in a fight-to-the-death competition in the story's post-apocalyptic world. Peeta is Katniss male companion in the competition, and Gale is her best friend back home.
    The Hunger Games, which will be directed by Gary Ross, is set to be released on March 23, 2012.

I'm not familiar with the book series tbh but could it be as popular as the Twillight and Harry Potter films

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

I've read the series, not bad. Bargain basement prose but an interesting (if limited) world is evoked and the Games themselves are a fairly fresh concept ... think Battle Royale meets The X Factor.

While not a patch on Harry Potter, it has all the romantic elements of Twilight so it could go all the way ... but I think we're looking at a completely different audience.

I'm fascinated to see how the public reacts to a film which is basically about children being forced to kill each other ... there's a reason the US adaptation of Battle Royale never got off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

They've taken a lot of liberties casting this film. All three leads have very little to almost nothing in common with the characters in the Hunger Games trilogy. A better option would have been to unearth young unknown actors for the roles. I think this is usually the best approach for a popular book series especially one with a large fan base and with young characters.

The fandom is up in arms about it. The instinctive reaction of some outsiders would be to dismiss this as rabid fangirls. I'm a 35 year old male fan of the books and I have problems with the casting. I do not consider my objections nor those of others to be minor ones. My appreciation for Jennifer Lawrence is well exemplified in previous posts here on boards. But she is not suited to the role of Katniss in too many ways. The casting process was flawed from the start however when you look at many of the other actresses that got to the latter stages of the auditions that were quite inappropriate for the role. Josh Hutcherson for Peeta is even more out of left field than Jennifer Lawrence. Basically they took a shallow sampling of all the established known young actors and actresses in Hollywood to establish their pool of candidates. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

fans always whinge about casting but the fact is that book adaptations are made to appeal to more than just the books original fanbase

indough wrote: »
    fans always whinge about casting but the fact is that book adaptations are made to appeal to more than just the books original fanbase

The implication there is that they could not do both. Or that appealing to fans of the books precludes appealing to a wider audience. Complete nonsense. These books though nominally classified as YA tend to appeal to a broader age range than say ... the Twilight books. Most importantly it is largely not the standard "whinging" to which your refer. Inevitably no casting choice will appeal to all and you can't satisfy everyone. But the issues here go beyond the usual trappings of fanbase malcontents. You obviously have no knowledge of it or the nature of the criticisms with your dismissive off handed response. There are problems with the casting that are fundamental to the story. These will impact how a general audience will receive it. It is not just a matter of irritating fans of the books trying to identify the characters on the screen with those in the books. I'm all too aware of the challenges of transferring a story and it's characters from one medium to another. But they simply could be doing much better and within reasonable expectations than they have been showing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ fangirl alert!

• Advertisement

^ fangirl alert!

Coming from you I'm mortified. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Hunger-Games-Casting-1032970.aspx

The Hunger Games has finished casting its 24 tributes, who will compete in a grisly competition in which the victor is the only one who survives.
    Alexander Ludvig (Race to Witch Mountain) and Isabelle Fuhrman (Orphan) will play District 2's Cato -- a fiercely competitive tribute who targets District 12 tribute Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) -- and expert knife-thrower Clove, respectively. Both are part of the group of Career Tributes, who look at the Hunger Games as an honor rather than a death sentence.
    Woody Harrelson also recently joined the ever-growing cast that includes Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Stanley Tucci, Wes Bentley, Elizabeth Banks and Paula Malcomson.

Check out a full list of the tributes below:

District 1
    Marcel and Glimmer (Jack Quaid and Leven Rambin)
    District 2
    Cato and Clove (Alexander Ludvig and Isabelle Fuhrman)

District 3
    Unnamed tributes (Ian Nelson and
    Kalia Prescott)
    District 4
    Unnamed tributes (Tara Macken and Ethan Jamieson)
    District 5
    Unnamed boy and Foxface (Chris Mark and Jacqueline Emerson)
    District 6
    Unnamed tributes (Ashton Moio and Kara Petersen)
    District 7
    Unnamed tributes (Sam Ly and Leigha Hancock)
    District 8
    Unnamed tributes (Samuel Tan and Mackenzie Lintz)
    District 9
    Unnamed tributes (Imanol Yepez-Frias and Annie Thurman)
    District 10
    Unnamed tributes (Jeremy Marinas and Dakota Hood)
    District 11
    Thresh and Rue (Dayo Okeniyi and Amanda Stenberg)
    District 12
    Peeta and Katniss (Josh Hutcherson and Jennifer Lawrence).

The Hunger Games will begin on March 23, 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Katniss
    hungergamesCharPostersP1011-md1.jpg
    Peeta
    hungergamesCharPostersP1011-md2.jpg
    Haymitch
    hungergamesCharPostersP1011-md3.jpg
    Gale
    hungergamesCharPostersP1011-md4.jpg
    Rue
    hungergamesCharPostersP1011-md6.jpg
    Cato
    hungergamesCharPostersP1011-md5.jpg
    Effie
    hungergamesCharPostersP1011-md7.jpg
    Cinna
    hungergamesCharPostersP1011-md8.jpg

finnished the first book there a week ago, really looking forward to this film, have the othere ready to read:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Is it me or does Cato look really small?

I assumed he would be much bigger.

don ramo wrote: »
    first full trailer,

I am warming to JL and Josh in their roles after some initial skepticism. There are some things from the books that will be difficult to capture in the films. But still looking forward to going to the cinema to see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

girl in book 16, women in film 21...

thats actually pretty good, remember kirsten dunst looking about 10 years older than what she should have in spiderman and tobey maguire looked about 15 years older,

if you watched that MTV show hard times of RJ Berger about half the main cast was 30+ playing teenagers,

Jennifer-Lawrence-Katniss-The-Hunger-Games1.jpg

she probably doesnt look as young as your probably want her to, im reading the books at the moment (on book 3) and id find it hard to picture anyone else playing katniss, she has to look nailed, now to see if she can play it, which im fairly confident she can,

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭foodie66

Not only that but she looks older, or more mature. Katniss is supposed to be a delicate girl who has little food and Jennifer is a very healthy and sturdy looking girl.

Saoirse Ronan was up for this i think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Gales character should be peeta, and peetas character should be gales, the girl should also be scrawny. A bit of a disappointment in the casting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Got the first book for christmas and could not put it down, it was so addictive. Went straight out and bought the other 2 and even though I didnt enjoy them quite as much compared to the first one the whole series was still a fantastic read and i cannot wait till march 23rd.
    So far from what ive seen in the trailers and screens its looking pretty good, although i dont think its gonna be perfect as trying to condense such an amazing book into a 2-3 hour movie means some stuff has to be left out, but nonetheless im really looking forward to my next hunger games fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

Just finished the first book! Going to buy the other two tomorrow:D. Can't wait to see the flim, hope they don't ruin it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I really like Jennifer Lawrence as an actress but some of the delivery in that looks real choppy. Obviously its a trailer so I cannot fully judge it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Cirque Du Freak

I don't think the film will do the book any justice at all. The only character they got spot on is Primrose I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Is this just like a tween-girl version of Battle Royale?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

WatchWolf wrote: »
    Is this just like a tween-girl version of Battle Royale?

Or the running man. I've never read the book, but it should be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

To me (someone who hasn't read the books) it just looks like a very blatant rip off of Battle Royale. Anything I'm missing that sets it apart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Galvasean wrote: »
    To me (someone who hasn't read the books) it just looks like a very blatant rip off of Battle Royale. Anything I'm missing that sets it apart?

It's based on a series of YA novels, so I wouldn't expect anything terribly original. But Battle Royale wasn't all that original either, given its similarity to The Running Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Know nothing about the series either - bar the amount of people I hear on the net saying that it's a BR rip-off - but the production design looks pretty low budget from any clips I've seen. Costumes, make-up, hair and set design all look like they wouldn't be out of place on a tv show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 CharAdriel

I also have reservations about how the book is going to translate on film. However, I still can't wait to see them try. The books were great and I appreciate that the author didn't drag the story out longer than 3 books.

Advertisement