Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics HL 2010 Predictions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dannye92

http://www.examinations.ie/schools/S_60_09_Information_re_Formulae_and_Booklet_Tables.pdf

Please read the bottom of page 5 (I think?)

This basically implies that they can't change the way the paper is asked as such, because technically when we started Physics in Sept 2008 we were told that we had to learn all those formulas and would be awarded marks for them?

So by not giving us these marks would be changing the paper, which they're apparently not allowed to do to us this year, so we get the best of both:
    1/ Handed the Formulas
    2/ Handed marks for knowing the Formulas

Hope this helps?

:)

This means that, in 2010 only, candidates will have access to the information concerned in both the new Formulae and Tables booklet and on the examination paper

love that part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TurkishNeon

We are so lucky!!
    Do you think they will have lots of derivations on the exam to compensate?
    Or make the exam harder?
    That news has actually made my day, MARKS FOR FORMULAE that are in the log tables :D
    Is there any formulae not in the book?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

We are so lucky!!
    Do you think they will have lots of derivations on the exam to compensate?
    Or make the exam harder?
    That news has actually made my day, MARKS FOR FORMULAE that are in the log tables :D
    Is there any formulae not in the book?

Id LOVE lots of derivation! Theyre so easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Try your best to learn all the experiments very very well. This will make you gain an easy 110 - 120 marks in Section A.

Section B is hard to predict but the option question is guaranteed to come up so make sure you know that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

I remember in the mocks some question that i had never covered before, but i just found the formula in the log book, wrote it down and got 9 freakin marks, awesome or what!!:pac:
    if i had to do the leaving cert without these log books, I'd be in the bottom of the Liffey right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

muffinz wrote: »
    I remember in the mocks some question that i had never covered before, but i just found the formula in the log book, wrote it down and got 9 freakin marks, awesome or what!!:pac:
    if i had to do the leaving cert without these log books, I'd be in the bottom of the Liffey right now.

LoL, I'd the same on a mock question about Einstien's Photoelectric Effect of something.. I'd probably fail without these log books.

XD

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

Im putting all my money on the predictions and if they do an Eavan Boland on this paper im screwed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

ddef wrote: »
    Im putting all my money on the predictions and if they do an Eavan Boland on this paper im screwed

It's funny how from now on we're all going to refer to getting caught on predictions as an "Eavan Boland"
    :D

I'd go with what most people seem to be saying and look over the experiments..

Then I would suggest if you're doing option 1, look over nuclear physics and it, because you prob will get a good 2 questions at least out of that.

Some of the basic mechanics you can learn by going back over the experiments anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 35 yaknowamsayin

This must be the hardest exam on the leaving cert after honours maths!...anyone agree?

No cause its easy if you understand it, hard if you don't. English is hard for everyone, the stress of it. Physics is quite relaxed, 3 hours and not much to write. Honours maths is easier than physics for me tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 35 yaknowamsayin

Jako8 wrote: »
    Try your best to learn all the experiments very very well. This will make you gain an easy 110 - 120 marks in Section A.

Section B is hard to predict but the option question is guaranteed to come up so make sure you know that too.

Ah you don't need to learn all experiments VERY well. The q's they ask in section A are usually sources of error and precautions. Parallax and percentage error work marvelously :) and the graphs are usually grand if you label your axes right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 hmmmm52

ciano1 wrote: »
    We didnt even finish the course... Tried to learn the last 3 chapters myself but just cannot get my head around them :(

didnt finish the course? thats bad form we had ours done like a few weeks before the mocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭ciano1

hmmmm52 wrote: »
    didnt finish the course? thats bad form we had ours done like a few weeks before the mocks!

I know.. We were just starting the Nuclear fission/Fusion chapter on the day we graduated. We were just left hanging!

In the weeks after graduation I tried to understand the last few chapters but just couldnt make head or tails of it.

Thats one less possible question I can do on the paper on Monday :(

so what experiments do u think will come up? i hope refractive index comes up, easy peasy, and its due up apparently :p
    but for the section 2.... ugh i dont know where to begin. im learning my definitions as they usually come up in Q5, but hm.... maybe ill try and learn the derivations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

Jako8 wrote: »

I don't think the option is guaranteed. I mean, it will probably be there but they don't HAVE to put it on..

im thinking of dropping to pass... what are the ordinary papers like?any easier?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

im thinking of dropping to pass... what are the ordinary papers like?any easier?

If you have exam papers they will contain both pass and honours, for physics. Pass physics isn't a whole lot easier. You need to know much the same things, but in less detail and the questions are easier. For example, you don't need to do vectors, derivations and the option.

Good Experiment tips from another poster in another thread..
    I know people are only sticking to 4 experiments that are predicted...but to me this is madness! If you ONLY stick to what is likely you may find urself schnookered!!!

For the expreiments the top 4 to come are reportedly:
    Boyles Law
    Acceleration is proportional to force
    Vaporisation of Water
    Joules Law
    But rather than saying all 24 (or 25) Expts should be learned im only learning 13:
    Focal Length of Concave Mirror
    Snells Law
    Acceleration is Proportional to Force
    Conservation of Momentum
    Boyles Law
    Co-planar Forces
    Simple Pendulum
    Calibration of Thermometer
    Specific Heat Capacity of Water
    Vaporisation of Water
    Speed of sound in Air
    Joules Law
    Resistance of a thermometer with temperature

Plus for Section B

Know definitions and derivations (will get you half marks in some questions and nearly full marks in Q5)

Electricity

Light (Tipped)

Heat (Tipped)

and the rest is repetitive.

Theres a great site to get some resources thephysicsteacher.ie

This man turned my grades around! He has great notes and theyre free. Especially like the short question notes!

How do ya study for physics?
    Most fomulas are given, I know most of the definitions and am gonna study the above experiments.
    What else is there to know apart from devivations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

I know.. We were just starting the Nuclear fission/Fusion chapter on the day we graduated. We were just left hanging!

In the weeks after graduation I tried to understand the last few chapters but just couldnt make head or tails of it.

Thats one less possible question I can do on the paper on Monday :(

thats disgraceful , we have done the course 3 times, physics techers can be so ridiculous

ok so what derivations do we have to know?

and a quick question on the doppler effect, ive never really got it.
    if there is a person at A and a person at B, and the items moving towards A, does that mean they will hear the noise more often but it will be less loud? and B will be less often but louder? or am i totally wrong?D:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hurlyburlycurly

If the object is moving towards A, The perfon at a will hear the object at a higher frequency! The person at B will hear it at a lower frequency!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭itsokay

im really confident that at least 2 of these experiments is coming up:

Co-planar Forces......the metre stick one
    a is directly proportional to f
    latent heat of vap
    latent heat of fuison
    boyles law
    joules law

definitely one is coming up:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭johndoe91

itsokay wrote: »
    im really confident that at least 2 of these experiments is coming up:

Co-planar Forces......the metre stick one
    a is directly proportional to f
    latent heat of vap
    latent heat of fuison
    boyles law
    joules law

definitely one is coming up:D

ha love the way you started off by saying 2 then 1.....

but listen physics aint that hard like around 20% get A's in both physics and chemistry compared to the 16.5% in biology (the "easy" science!)....

just cover the experiment...read over all of them....and then just know ALL your definitions, attempt all the questions and you are guaranteed a high C - B!

Co-Planer forces..

Piss easy experiment... Addition and subtraction :D

johndoe91 wrote: »
    ha love the way you started off by saying 2 then 1.....

but listen physics aint that hard like around 20% get A's in both physics and chemistry compared to the 16.5% in biology (the "easy" science!)....

just cover the experiment...read over all of them....and then just know ALL your definitions, attempt all the questions and you are guaranteed a high C - B!
    theres so many definitions tho D:

Good Experiment tips from another poster in another thread..

Why thank you, i posted that....glad its of help to you!

theres so many definitions tho D:

thephysicsteacher.ie has it all writen out for you, just print them off!

My advice is just read and read and read if your finding yourself stuck. Something will go in and if cant remember just go straight to your log tables, might get some clue somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Try Applied Maths. Or History.

Actually Applied Maths is by far the easiest subject. Really.

Cipango wrote: »
    thephysicsteacher.ie has it all writen out for you, just print them off!

Theres also a handy MP3 file on the site where all the definitions are read out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

Blerdiii wrote: »
    thats disgraceful , we have done the course 3 times, physics techers can be so ridiculous

nice ,but for real ? three times during 2 years ?

mine didn't do much of electicity .. i know nothing on resistance and stuff. . .

• Advertisement

Theres also a handy MP3 file on the site where all the definitions are read out

Thats really handy alright!

Advertisement