Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

A lot valid points
    Would you agree o grady plays a sweeper to cover space by carmody man marking kelly
    If Hickey fit he's man initially to mark him

I'm not sure O'Grady has the legs for 70 minutes anymore, in fact I'm sure he doesn't. I wouldn't mind him playing as a deep centre-back and plugging a hole in the defence but it just doesn't seem likely.

I think centre-back is too important a position to be switching it from game-to-game. I think TJ needs to pick one centre-back and make them hold in the centre. If he wants to man-mark Kelly, he names a man-marker in the forwards and then plays a 2-man inside line.

I'm not sure that will happen though, I think Kelly will end up being picked up by Browne in the middle of the field. While Kelly is an excellent midfielder and is likely to score a good few points in that situation, there is a lot bigger defensive responsibility on typical midfielders than there is on a roving 11 and I don't think Kelly's defensive game is as good... I would also expect Browne to pick up a few points if that were the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

We in KK got a good look at Kelly in the last two games of the league. He was excellent on both occasions – practically unmarkable in an orthodox defensive line-up. I imagine Cody left it like that on purpose rather than give away any potential strategy for later in the year. IMO you need to do two things to try keep Kelly quiet. First close down his space – when he gets ball in hand and a bit of space, very few players will catch him. That will mean an extra body from somewhere in around the half forward line. Second, cut off the supply. Both days, but the second in particular, he fed repeatedly off O’Donnell (who was also excellent that day btw). You can’t allow O’Donnell to get clean possession. That will require your corner back to be brave and play out in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

Would not agree with that now but he should try and get some one like declan Fitzgerald involved coaching for rest year and he knows limerick hurling well and we'll respect and real tactical bonus and he's huge experience all level minors school club in tipp and cork and ul and limerick minors under twenty one cork delevopment squads
    Would be smooth transition now imo

Fitzgerald Buttevant man although living and working in Limerick last few years

Wouldn't think he's steeped enough in Limerick yet to promote the demise of Cork

His love of hurling wouldnt necessarily mean he could change his spots that quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

N20 wrote: »
    Fitzgerald Buttevant man although living and working in Limerick last few years

Wouldn't think he's steeped enough in Limerick yet to promote the demise of Cork

His love of hurling wouldnt necessarily mean he could change his spots that quickly

He's coached at castleyroy and ul fitzgibnn cup and fresher teams

Was coach with limerick minors all Ireland final ten years age and under twenty one two years later
    He learned as a player at colmans under ring
    Coached killeanile in tipp and also with drom inch this and last year

He's helped many clubs in roles in limerick
    He's been involved in every level in limerick bar senior intercounty
    He would be ideal as a coach as limerick need imo a coach and if so current management could possibly work
    To say he's not steeped in limerick enough I respect your view but he's record proves other wise

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

He's coached at castleyroy and ul fitzgibnn cup and fresher teams

Was coach with limerick minors all Ireland final ten years age and under twenty one two years later
    He learned as a player at colmans under ring
    Coached killeanile in tipp and also with drom inch this and last year

He's helped many clubs in roles in limerick
    He's been involved in every level in limerick bar senior intercounty
    He would be ideal as a coach as limerick need imo a coach and if so current management could possibly work
    To say he's not steeped in limerick enough I respect your view but he's record proves other wise

Wasn't aware he coached Limerick Minors 10 years ago - certainly his involvement in Castletroy re school and Uni understandable but I'd imagine his ties to Cork still too strong and perhaps he'd ply his trade there first - maybe not

I respect your view too but I wouldn't say his record proves otherwise - it does clearly indicates a leaning towards his adopted county though and a huge hunger for hurling

All entirely admirable in my view

• Advertisement

N20 wrote: »
    Wasn't aware he coached Limerick Minors 10 years ago - certainly his involvement in Castletroy re school and Uni understandable but I'd imagine his ties to Cork still too strong and perhaps he'd ply his trade there first - maybe not

I respect your view too but I wouldn't say his record proves otherwise - it does clearly indicates a leaning towards his adopted county though and a huge hunger for hurling

All entirely admirable in my view
    Fair points

citykat wrote: »
    We in KK got a good look at Kelly in the last two games of the league. He was excellent on both occasions – practically unmarkable in an orthodox defensive line-up. I imagine Cody left it like that on purpose rather than give away any potential strategy for later in the year. IMO you need to do two things to try keep Kelly quiet. First close down his space – when he gets ball in hand and a bit of space, very few players will catch him. That will mean an extra body from somewhere in around the half forward line. Second, cut off the supply. Both days, but the second in particular, he fed repeatedly off O’Donnell (who was also excellent that day btw). You can’t allow O’Donnell to get clean possession. That will require your corner back to be brave and play out in front.

The only thing for it is high pressure- even the best of players will struggle to get a shot away when they're under high pressure, especially one who relies on scores from long range so much. But top class players are always hard to shut down... I remember I was at a Galway-Waterford quarter-final a few years ago, maybe 2009 and for the majority of the game, John Mullane was kept quiet- he was hit hard, hit late, fouled off the ball a lot but he still popped up on the run to hit a last-minute winner, despite all the attention. A top class player can never be shut down completely if he's on top form.

Even last year, JJ Delaney, who is one of the greatest defenders ever seen couldn't keep an in-form Dowling quiet. Picked up a yellow card and Dowling scored two lovely points from play in awful conditions... I think Delaney did well to limit him to that. That's what you want to do, curb their influence so they don't dominate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Hoping to get along to Na P v Doon on friday night should be a good game get to see a few players in a good tight game.

We were beaten fairly heavily by Clare last night in the minor football. A bit disappointing, but after 5 awful years, to get any sort of win was a boost.

The Senior and Intermediate Hurling Championships start this weekend. Kilmallock play Ahane tonight to kick that one off.

Group 1
    April 30, 7pm- Ahane vs Kilmallock (Caherconlish)
    May 01, 7pm- Murroe/Boher vs South Liberties (Cappamore)
    May 03, 7pm- Effin vs Patrickswell (Bruff)

Group 2
    May 01, 7pm- Adare vs Ballybrown (Askeaton)
    May 01, 7pm- Doon vs Na Piarsaigh (Kilmallock)
    May 02, 2pm- Bruff vs Croom (Kilmallock)

Kilmallock may have a post All-Ireland hangover, and Ahane do have a decent young team but it's hard to see the Balbec not getting the win tonight. The other two games in that group are fairly crucial, the winner of Murroe/Boher and South Liberties is already likely to be safe from relegation and could push for a top 3 spot. I think Murroe/Boher will just about do it. Very hard to know how Effin will cope without Nicky Quaid, he's such a big player for them... you'd imagine the Well will win on Sunday and Effin could be in big trouble. Carey & Foley will want a big season from the Well this year and they have a manageable group.

In the other group, Adare and Ballybrown is likely to be close enough. Ballybrown were very disappointing last year, Eoin Brislane is in charge of them now, with Ger Hegarty in charge of Adare. I think Adare will just about edge it though. Doon and NaP in Kilmallock will be a big game, both teams who want to win the Championship... you'd imagine NaP after losing the final last year will be hurting and they have the players to bounce back. Bruff and Croom are the two promoted teams and again, it could be a relegation decider this early. Both teams are fairly evenly-matched, I reckon Bruff might just edge this.

Hoping to get along to Na P v Doon on friday night should be a good game get to see a few players in a good tight game.

Should be a cracker paddy I'll be there myself hopefully
    Tough game to call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Should be at Effin v Patrickswell on Sunday. Hoping for a win for the Well. Disappointing lack of double headers again this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

I'd imagine the only reason the county board resist double headers is due to belief that it will hurt the gate receipts as each paying customer gets two games for the price of one. But, having been going to games for the last 15 or so years there has been a very sharp decline in numbers going to games, the last half decent crowd I remember was the 2007 county final. Attendances have been very poor ever since, particularly county finals.

They'll get more for each person in the gate by not having double headers but they'd get a larger overall net attendance by having double headers. The priority is obviously maximising profit rather than numbers attending.

I'll go to my own club's game, and apart from that the only one jumping out at me is the Na Piarsaigh v Doon game. That game is probably the most likely to pull in a few neutrals, but imagine if one of the other games down for Kilmallock this week was a curtain raiser (Bruff v Croom or Bruree v Blackrock), that would be a real appeal to the neutral; a local derby followed by a clash of two of the top three clubs in the county.

I'd imagine the only reason the county board resist double headers is due to belief that it will hurt the gate receipts as each paying customer gets two games for the price of one. But, having been going to games for the last 15 or so years there has been a very sharp decline in numbers going to games, the last half decent crowd I remember was the 2007 county final. Attendances have been very poor ever since, particularly county finals.

They'll get more for each person in the gate by not having double headers but they'd get a larger overall net attendance by having double headers. The priority is obviously maximising profit rather than numbers attending.

I'll go to my own club's game, and apart from that the only one jumping out at me is the Na Piarsaigh v Doon game. That game is probably the most likely to pull in a few neutrals, but imagine if one of the other games down for Kilmallock this week was a curtain raiser (Bruff v Croom or Bruree v Blackrock), that would be a real appeal to the neutral; a local derby followed by a clash of two of the top three clubs in the county.

Ya i think i was talking to you about this last year regarding the crowd sizes. Long time since the big crowds for an Adare Patrickswell County final! Maybe due to the fact we can't get to a county final.....

Who do you think will win the doon game
    Imo a tough game to call

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Who do you think will win the doon game
    Imo a tough game to call

I think Na Piarsigh will be well up for this to kick off winning back the county, Doon will flatter to deceive once again, great talent there but can't close it out once they get to the business end, as evidenced by the u21 this year and minor the last few years...hard to believe they have never won a senior county, would be great to see them do it though, there needs to be a third force in the county besides Na Piarsigh and kilmallock...

Mehapoy wrote: »
    I think Na Piarsigh will be well up for this to kick off winning back the county, Doon will flatter to deceive once again, great talent there but can't close it out once they get to the business end, as evidenced by the u21 this year and minor the last few years...hard to believe they have never won a senior county, would be great to see them do it though, there needs to be a third force in the county besides Na Piarsigh and kilmallock...

Thanks for that
    I'm going as a neutral but I wouldn't mind doon winning for reasons you said

Thanks for that
    I'm going as a neutral but I wouldn't mind doon winning for reasons you said

Game of the first round alright...

I'd also like to see Doon win. Again, nothing against Na Piarsaigh but Doon have some good young players and it can only be good for Limerick hurling to see them do well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Bit harsh on Doon there. They won 2 minors in a row didn't they only a couple years ago? Losing to Na Piarsaigh at u21 is hardly flattering to deceive considering the pick NP would have at that age group. I am sure they would have picked up a lot more extra hurlers from the minor grade than Doon would have.

Kilmallock & NP have been producing very strong underage teams for the last decade, Doon have realistically only 1 group of players coming through so that won't automatically translate to a senior title while NP and Kilmallock are still so strong.

dcrosskid wrote: »
    Bit harsh on Doon there. They won 2 minors in a row didn't they only a couple years ago? Losing to Na Piarsaigh at u21 is hardly flattering to deceive considering the pick NP would have at that age group. I am sure they would have picked up a lot more extra hurlers from the minor grade than Doon would have.

Kilmallock & NP have been producing very strong underage teams for the last decade, Doon have realistically only 1 group of players coming through so that won't automatically translate to a senior title while NP and Kilmallock are still so strong.
    Maybe it's a bit harsh on them, think they should be producing move county titles for the talent they have though, for instance I would think they have as much talent than Na p at u21, Richie English, Dean Coleman, Barry Murphy, Pat Ryan, McNamara, mcpartland have all played in the Harty and inter county...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Maybe it's a bit harsh on them, think they should be producing move county titles for the talent they have though, for instance I would think they have as much talent than Na p at u21, Richie English, Dean Coleman, Barry Murphy, Pat Ryan, McNamara, mcpartland have all played in the Harty and inter county...

They're a coming team. They haven't underachieved at all. Na P have won 3 u21s in a row so Doon have a way to go to close the gap on that, let alone the gap at senior level to Na P and Kilmallock who have the two strongest senior club teams in Munster over recent years.

They're a coming team. They haven't underachieved at all. Na P have won 3 u21s in a row so Doon have a way to go to close the gap on that, let alone the gap at senior level to Na P and Kilmallock who have the two strongest senior club teams in Munster over recent years.
    I would like to see doon win but I have nothing against Na Piarsaigh
    Good for limerick club hurling to be like you said more competitive
    Some fascinating match up this game
    Pity about the weather though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭shockframe

The Limerick SHC has never really been competitive in the last 25 years IMO.

Bar Ahane's return in the late 90s and Garryspillane 05 and Bruree 06 the championship has been a bit too predictable and boring.The well in the 90s and Adare in the 00s had it too easy in finals many a time.

2005/06 were the last time you had anything close to a cracking final.

The re-structring is a good move. More encouraging is that there is now 2 serious contenders and the likes of Doon on the verge. Ahane are in the early stages of coming good I reckon and throw in a club like Patrikswell,Ballybrown or Liberties with Monaleen possibly on the way in 5 years time you could have a right good few years ahead.

Would be good for the county team aswell because it would keep everyone on their toes if standards improved.

Our lads are playing Glenroe tonight. Very young team, but have some real quality- hoping for a better season this year without as many injuries.

Same panel limerick for Wednesday game bar cal Mccarthy kilmallock called up a fine fine hurlers imo
    Great addition imo and management deserve credit good call

Three injury worries I'm hearing if true
    Have beaten clare and tipp sway good wins but tipp hadn't the strongest team by all accounts

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Our lads are playing Glenroe tonight. Very young team, but have some real quality- hoping for a better season this year without as many injuries.

Best of luck tonight fireball

Same panel limerick for Wednesday game bar cal Mccarthy kilmallock called up a fine fine hurlers imo
    Great addition imo and management deserve credit good call

Three injury worries I'm hearing if true
    Have beaten clare and tipp sway good wins but tipp hadn't the strongest team by all accounts

Limerick panel for senior hurlers?

Colemania wrote: »
    Limerick panel for senior hurlers?

Minors Cole

Minors Cole

Oh ok sound. Probably biased here but surprised there's no Patrickswell lads on the panel. Have won a lot underage and would have won more if it wasn't for meeting Na Piarsigh or Doon in any final they got to :P

• Advertisement

Colemania wrote: »
    Oh ok sound. Probably biased here but surprised there's no Patrickswell lads on the panel. Have won a lot underage and would have won more if it wasn't for meeting Na Piarsigh or Doon in any final they got to :P

Ye have outstanding cian lynch at senior some consolation though
    Going to be awesome if he gets coaching required at senior to get him next level as he's got it all imo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement