Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fly fishing

• 27-04-2015 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi I made a return to fly fishing after a long brake decided to do a bit of wet to start with but I simply cannot stop the flies skimming the surface don't remember this problem before I went and got flurocarbon line when it first started then gink even used a heavy nymph as the first fly but still to no avail I am casting gust slightly below straight any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

Wait a few seconds for the flies to sink before you start pulling. What line are you using? If they still come to the surface, try trimming some of the hackle, many shop bought flies are far too heavily dressed

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Thomas Drennan

Well the first flies were very finely tied and I cast them slightly up stream but once they went below me they started dragging across the surface so frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Mend your line upstream to slow them down if it's fast water causing them to skate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

Ah Rivers, I thought it was lakes, throwing slack into your leader will give you a drag free drift

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Thomas Drennan

Thanks for all you advice lads I will put to practice your advice

• Advertisement
Advertisement