Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite TV reception at UCC Cork in 1979 (article)

• 22-09-2008 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭

This might be interesting for some people here...
    Discovered in someone's collection of old 'Television' Magazines:
    This in the March 1979 edition of Television magazine in its TVDX section:

mention of pioneering Ku-band satellite TV reception from the OTS-2 satellite way
    back then at University College Cork (UCC) :
    click to open:
    tvm1979uccsattd6.th.jpgthpix.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

i propose a new sub-forum to Cable & Digital TV, to be called "Reeling In The Years" :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

i propose a new sub-forum to Cable & Digital TV, to be called "Reeling In The Years" :D
    We already have Broadcasting History forum, where I think this thread is more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Are the old copies of Television yours? Interesting that a dish as small as 2.4M was enough in 1979. Bob Cooper's book is also a great read if you're into TVRO history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Antenna

re. the TV magazines, I took them from a person who was going to dispose them a few years ago (he was long gone from the 'TV trade' and wanted to get rid of them).
    Not a complete set, but most during the 1980s, early 1990s and a few from the late 1970s!

The following month (April 1979) had more details of satellite reception at UCC, and that of an enthusiast in the UK, in the TV-DX pages:

tvmapril79ucc1fq2.th.jpgthpix.gif

tvmapril79ucc2rz8.th.jpgthpix.gif

Advertisement