Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

re mapping / chipping of a car

• 15-08-2011 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭

Hello there

So I dont know much about cars. All I know is that I would like a bit more power in the one I currently have !

So, as far as I know there are 2 methods of enhancing the BHP of a car

A. Re Map
    B. Chipping

My questions

1. Which one is best to do ? ( best meaning safest option for the car )

2. For anyone that had it done :

(a) were you happy ?
    (b) did it cause any issues
    (c) what company did you use

3. whats the story with insurance if you get it done ?

I have a 2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI SE

Sorry for all the q's !!!

any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I had my 2008 BMW 318d remapped about 2 months ago. Gone from 143bhp to 176bhp. You really notice the difference now in the lower gears due to the increased torque. It really does pull away in 3rd/4th gear. Fuel economy is similar to before and I have not had any issues with the car but then again I'm not a hard driver.

Always wise to inform your insurance company of any modifications from the original factory setup. In most cases they don't have an issue with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭obi604

bazz26 wrote: »
    I had my 2008 BMW 318d remapped about 2 months ago. Gone from 143bhp to 176bhp. You really notice the difference now in the lower gears due to the increased torque. It really does pull away in 3rd/4th gear. Fuel economy is similar to before and I have not had any issues with the car but then again I'm not a hard driver.

Always wise to inform your insurance company of any modifications from the original factory setup. In most cases they don't have an issue with them.

Thanks for reply, I presume when insurance companies hear of the re mapping that they will increase the premium

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Not true. Some don't discriminate under a certain BHP. Depends how nice they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Dont bother with tuning boxes, they are a waste of time. You will easily remap that to 170BHP.

This is your only man here: http://www.chippedire.com/vms_view.php?man_id=2&mod_id=12&var_id=55&pg_name=Audi_A3_2_0_TDI_PD_140_Tuning

PM Gary ITR here about it if you want..

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Dont bother with tuning boxes, they are a waste of time. You will easily remap that to 170BHP.

Bit of a blanket statement there, some tuning boxes are very good and do the job grand.

For example.... http://tuning-diesels.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

RoverJames wrote: »
    Bit of a blanket statement there, some tuning boxes are very good and do the job grand.

For example.... http://tuning-diesels.com/

That crowd seem to be Rover specific but I tried two before on seperate occasions and found no difference.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

obi604 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply, I presume when insurance companies hear of the re mapping that they will increase the premium
    They can't tell so don't bother.

-Corkie- wrote: »
    That crowd seem to be Rover specific ........

A few years back they were :) Some good reads on that site though, lots of non Rover shtuff ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

It is possible to check for a remap. Tell your insurance company OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

EPM wrote: »
    It is possible to check for a remap. Tell your insurance company OP.
    Ok then tell me how? The same file is in place. Rolling roads are inconclusive proof and you can always downgrade your map if they require one.

Seriously, don't bother telling them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

2 years ago I had Joe from Chippedirl remap my Passat 1.9TDI from 105 up to about 145. Car has been perfect since then.

Huge difference. Way more Torque and still hitting 50MPG with hard driving.

I'd recommend it.

demac wrote: »
    2 years ago I had Joe from Chippedirl remap my Passat 1.9TDI from 105 up to about 145. Car has been perfect since then.

Huge difference. Way more Torque and still hitting 50MPG with hard driving.

I'd recommend it.

Did u tell the insurance company about it ??

If so, did premium increase ??

Ok then tell me how? The same file is in place. Rolling roads are inconclusive proof and you can always downgrade your map if they require one.

Seriously, don't bother telling them.

Firstly, please don't condone illegal activity which not telling the insurance company is essentially. It's a modification that is undeclared.

Being the same car as mine underneath you can be sure it's possible for the A3.

If you had a big smash say with a large injury claim, you can be sure that the insurance company would try everything to get out of it.

I know when my car had a map on it the dealer was in a position to send the info to Skoda and get a conclusive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My premium didn't change as my insurance company classed a 318d/320d in the same catagory. It may vary from insurance company to insurance company though.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

Did u tell the insurance company about it ??

If so, did premium increase ??

I did tell them but it didn't change my premium. I'm not a young lad ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Firstly, please don't condone illegal activity which not telling the insurance company is essentially. It's a modification that is undeclared.

Being the same car as mine underneath you can be sure it's possible for the A3.

If you had a big smash say with a large injury claim, you can be sure that the insurance company would try everything to get out of it.

I know when my car had a map on it the dealer was in a position to send the info to Skoda and get a conclusive answer.

I neither want to be pedantic nor to criticise a mod but I think "illegal" is an inapt and emotive word - unless a fraudulent declaration is made at the commenceent or reewal of a policy. It's not likely to be illegal but it will likely invalidate the insurance as ar as the insured is concerned and likely expose t insured to claims from the insurance company in the event that it as to pay out to third parties. I agree that boardsies should not be advocating this behaviour but we need to use the right terminology.

But is it not an offence to make a false insurance declaration? People have been in court over this. I would view that as illegal. I know the remap would happen after the policy start date but you are knowingly modifying the car which would have to affect the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

I'm making the trip to Joe at the end of the month.

Insured with Axa through a broker, and rang the broker to see what the effect on insurance would be. Axa said no problem initially, but then rang back declining to cover the remap.

Broker them said that Zurich would cover me, with no increase in premium as long as the remap didn't take it above 150bhp.

And the car's only a 105 bhp Octy.

My two cents: declare it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

I'm making the trip to Joe at the end of the month.

Insured with Axa through a broker, and rang the broker to see what the effect on insurance would be. Axa said no problem initially, but then rang back declining to cover the remap.

Broker then said that Zurich would cover me, with no increase in premium as long as the remap didn't take it above 150bhp.

And the car's only a 105 bhp Octy.

My two cents: declare it.

But is it not an offence to make a false insurance declaration? People have been in court over this. I would view that as illegal. I know the remap would happen after the policy start date but you are knowingly modifying the car which would have to affect the policy.

It is.You could also be treated as driving uninsured.

Can only be seen as Non Disclosure if the premium would have been effected by 40% or more though.

OP - If you re map your vehicle then inform your insurer. If not for yourself then for me should you come ploughing around a corner and take me out of it. I'd like to be re instated promptly and not have to wait for Indemnity checks which could have been avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

They can't tell...but they can get the car dealer/manufacturer to check and they can tell whether it's been remapped or not.
    You're up shít's creek then if the report comes back positive.
    Insurance companies know which car models tend to get remapped/chipped etc so they will get these tested.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

MugMugs wrote: »

Can only be seen as Non Disclosure if the premium would have been effected by 40% or more though.

OP - If you re map your vehicle then inform your insurer. If not for yourself then for me should you come ploughing around a corner and take me out of it. I'd like to be re instated promptly and not have to wait for Indemnity checks which could have been avoided.

Is the 40% you refer to above company specific MugMugs?

I'd have thought way less maybe 20% would be a material change in engine power.

MugMugs wrote: »

Is the 40% you refer to above company specific MugMugs?

I'd have thought way less maybe 20% would be a material change in engine power.

40% under the Consumer Protection Code. Over this they can avoid the policy, honour TP claims and recover from the insured. I only know that as I had to learn the CPC during a recent Audit. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

So under 40% blast away?

So under 40% blast away?

Now now! Always disclose. :p

Hello All

OP here . Thanks for all the replies, I think its best alright to declare it to the insurance company if I get it re mapped, so all is above board .

Just wondering, how long does the re mapping process take, so if I were to bring the car to the place, would I need to leave it there for a few hours and come back or just wait there and it would be done in half an hour ?

update from OP

So rang my insurance company a few days ago and told them that I was thinking of re mapping
    gave them the details etc. and they had to send it to some " technical advisor "
    3 days later they got back to me saying no problems, the would cover me BUT

> the premium for the rest of the year ( 11 months left ) would increase by 231 Euro

>I would need to get a letter from the manafacturer after the re map is done to verify all is ok

pain in the hole !!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭spunk_monkey

update from OP

So rang my insurance company a few days ago and told them that I was thinking of re mapping
    gave them the details etc. and they had to send it to some " technical advisor "
    3 days later they got back to me saying no problems, the would cover me BUT

> the premium for the rest of the year ( 11 months left ) would increase by 231 Euro

>I would need to get a letter from the manafacturer after the re map is done to verify all is ok

pain in the hole !!

what insurance company is that!? And how much was your premium to begin with?

what insurance company is that!? And how much was your premium to begin with?

Zurich

520 yo yo

• Advertisement

Zurich

520 yo yo

That's a serious increase!

Advertisement