Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Being forced to take up unpaid internship on jobsbridge scheme

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lovelylovely

I am currently doing a Jobridge internship, advertised position was "Accounts Assistant" - I haven't learned the first thing about working in accounts in the 6 months (of a 9 month internship) I have been there. As far as I can see, they took me on to deal with the vast amounts of post, answer the phone, and make coffee for meetings etc., I had been doing some basic accounts related things like posting invoices onto the system but don't get time to do that much because my "other" work is more important...As for training,it doesn't take too long too show somebody how to use a letter opener or switch a kettle on.

I have already completed 2 Fás courses in accounts. I have a retail related degree and jobs in retail are few and far between these days so I had to change my career direction. With my internship, its not the fact that I am working 40 hours a week for €50, I would work for nothing if it was something I enjoyed and felt I would benefit from, but I am getting no accounts experience from this position. I came from retail management to making coffee and sorting out post, I am just really annoyed at the whole thing. I feel like quitting everyday but I am not the type of person who would walk out of a "job".

I think the Jobridge thing really needs to be more closely monitored, I know there are people who have had great experiences on the scheme, but I am not one of them. With the economy the way it is, inevitably companies are going to take advantage of free labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

The scheme is voluntary, was told this when i left my internship. They never threatened to cut anything. Unless that person in fas is in charge of her claim i wouldn't heed him. They cant bully you into working for free. In saying that, if shes willing to do a fas course why not an internship? Hours are similar, pay is better, and the host company can hire you or at least provide a recent professional reference. Fas can't do those who things. And this is coming from someone totally opposed to jobbridge. I also did a fas course after third level education, was asked in interviews why, i dont think employers value fas courses that highly.

Advertisement