Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long have you played WoW? + more

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Challenge modes are insane but the gear looks great. There are so many short cuts to getting them done.

I recently purchased a boost as i wanted the gear before its removed in september, was run by an Irish guy and essentially showed that the runs can be done with a tank, 1dps and a healer.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

Calhoun wrote: »
    Challenge modes are insane but the gear looks great. There are so many short cuts to getting them done.

I recently purchased a boost as i wanted the gear before its removed in september, was run by an Irish guy and essentially showed that the runs can be done with a tank, 1dps and a healer.

If the tank is a monk, only need a healer. :D

jabberwock wrote: »
    If the tank is a monk, only need a healer. :D

I havent seen a monk do it but considering that if they are not played right and are a very active mitigating tank i would say they could struggle.

The DK i did it with was doing over 250K dps thanks to vengence.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

Calhoun wrote: »
    I havent seen a monk do it but considering that if they are not played right and are a very active mitigating tank i would say they could struggle.

The DK i did it with was doing over 250K dps thanks to vengence.

monk can cap vengeance with ease, out-dpsing everything..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Acid Memories

Played for about 2-3 years.

While WoW is a great game, its indeed outdated now compared to what's out there.

but looking back, I really messed up some of my lift playing WoW.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

I played WoW solid for 4 years ( started a few weeks after release), but haven't even logged in once during the past in 6 years. I gave up a few weeks before Cata came out. I'd done as much as I wanted to do, including being a guild leader for 2 years. I still count it as one of the best games I've ever played. The sheer wonder of exploring the world during leveling for the very first time will probably never be beaten by any game. Some of the end game raid bosses experiences were incredible. Gaining access to Onxyia's lair for the first time and MC. Killing Vashj after weeks of wiping, the satisfaction of clearing Black Temple. It could also be savagely frustrating - people not knowing right from left when running around C'thun in AQ. Mu'ru was ****ing harsh too.

I'm time poor now, so could never devout the time required to play it again, certainly never raid. I imagine it's changed drastically since I gave up at the end of TBC. Getting to spend an hour now and again playing Battlefield 4 is about as much as i get these days on games.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    6+ years (vanilla). Nothing infuriates me more than knowing it took me weeks/months of hardcore playing just to get one particular reward in those days - but now everything is as good as 2/3 quests and a casual grind away.

Yes, I'm an old 'anti-casual' fart :pac:

The industry has changed and most of us have grown and got responsibilities, I think they might have gone a bit far in wod though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Played since vanilla. Got banned in the HB ban wave though so only have one account at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 fuzzypickle

I've played since late 2006. Just before Burning Crusade.
    Past few years I haven't been on it so much. Usually for the expansions and a few weeks after that. Then it fizzles out.
    I still buy game time now and again for something to do. Mostly mount-farming these days.

I haven't raided in a long time. I miss the BC raids, they were great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

wow, just saw my post in this thread was two years ago
    Currently playing a Boomkin which I raided with in WOTLK and Cata, but this expansion went mainly with my Warlock. Want to have a Priest again like the good old days, but might use it as my free 90 with the expansion

Boomkin has been totally left in the dust. Back on my Warlock at the moment and really won't switch again unless the class goes down the toilet. I swop mains way too much for my own good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 acemaster

About 2007-present. Still the best pc game.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mezzanine08

Since August 2009, I think it was right before or after patch 3.2.

I stopped playing in July this year and this is the longest I've gone without being subbed. I might get back into it again around Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,247 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Since August 2009, I think it was right before or after patch 3.2.

I stopped playing in July this year and this is the longest I've gone without being subbed. I might get back into it again around Christmas.

I've been fighting not going back, i unsubbed around June and ive been kept busy.

I think after i Finish Starcraft 2 i may go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Played since vanilla, im still playing. Hunter was my main, i stacked stam, thought agility wasnt needed :P My main now is a DK, has been since wolk. I farm mounts - 200+ and hit 1mil in gold for the frst time recently :) Ill continue playing casual as i always have and enjoy it. Ive never raided or been in a top end guild, i dont want to either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Hunter was my main, i stacked stam, thought agility wasnt needed :P

:o Seen a mage in ICC with agility gems, "to increase his crit":rolleyes:

Berns wrote: »

That hurts my brain..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Berns wrote: »

I saw a level 70 warrior running around in a cloth dress in Stormwind before. You'd wonder how you could even get to level 70 when suffering from such stupidity!

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I saw a level 70 warrior running around in a cloth dress in Stormwind before. You'd wonder how you could even get to level 70 when suffering from such stupidity!

I love seeing paladins and warriors running around in mail because it has better stats.

They made me feel so much better about how I played my Rogue....

Vicxas wrote: »
    I love seeing paladins and warriors running around in mail because it has better stats.

They made me feel so much better about how I played my Rogue....

Paladins wearing mail is one thing, but a warrior with a cloth dress stacked with intellect is quite special!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Paladins wearing mail is one thing, but a warrior with a cloth dress stacked with intellect is quite special!

He was obviously just raising his weapon skill quickly ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

MagicIRL wrote: »
    He was obviously just raising his weapon skill quickly ;)

ahh I remember those days. Trying to raise unarmed skill in fully kitted out int gear. What a pain.

Noxin wrote: »
    ahh I remember those days. Trying to raise unarmed skill in fully kitted out int gear. What a pain.

Chirst i remember having to go to low level areas just to get your skill in 1 handed swords up..... nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Playing since vanilla.

Vanilla - First toon was a marksman hunter back when they had mana and could hold melee weapons and a ranged weapon at the same time.
    Raided MC/BWL/ZG/AQ20/40 and never gave naxx a shot in vanilla at all. though i did solo Mister Bigglesworth!
    Did the hunter bow&staff epic questline(ancient petrified leaf), which was truly epic. It's nice having that transmog too these days :)

TBC - switched main to Prot Warrior as Hunters BM was immensely buffed and marksman hunters just weren't in demand for raiding. Changed server from lightning's blade to bronzebeard and joined a semi-hardcore guild, manged to get a few server and faction firsts in SSC & TK, as well as one or two in BT. By the end of TBC with the changes and superbuffs to prot, managed to clear Sunwell.

Wrath - Stuck with prot, raided naxx finally.. no server firsts but thoroughly enjoyed that expansion. So much that i rolled a bunch of other classes and finally switched to resto druid for ICC25. That was a fantastic class to play in that expansion.

Cataclysm - Initially enjoyed playing cata as it was almost all back in the old world and ye could fly! The novelty soon wore off and i gave up, drifting back and forth whenever i was bored or broke enough to resub.

Pandaria Subbed for a month. Gave up. Subbed prior to WoD, gave up.

WoD Subbed for a month, really enjoyed it. Gave up. Subbed with tokens every so often to see what had been implemented, soon gave up as it was pretty much the same thing every time i logged in. And i've just recently upgraded to Legion out of boredom rather than fandom, and i fully expect Legion to be as dull as Pandaria and WoD after a month.

That's so unusual, that someone with such a raid background, didn't raid/play in Panderia. Throne of Thunder and Siege of Orgrimmar were excellent raid encounters, and has it not been the end tier for as long as it was, I think SoO could've gone down as one of the best raids ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

MagicIRL wrote: »
    That's so unusual, that someone with such a raid background, didn't raid/play in Panderia. Throne of Thunder and Siege of Orgrimmar were excellent raid encounters, and has it not been the end tier for as long as it was, I think SoO could've gone down as one of the best raids ever made.
    I don't think Pandaria raids were the problem, the actual Pandaria expansion was the problem.

I played with breaks since late vanilla and Pandaria was my least played expansion. I did not even managed to level up to max level before I gave up. The theme of expansion was just horrible.

My favourite one will still be wotlk. It was not technically best and had its share of issues, but theme killed it for me. I have completed original wc3 amd wc3 tft single player so many times. Those two games were the reason I even started wow! Lore was amazing!
    ironically my interest in wow fiddled away half way to cataclysm. I still bought all expansions, but did not played them after first month. I guess original lore that was up to cataclysm made it more then a game and raid grinder. I loved to world it self.

I liked the Pandaria zone theme, and the factions. I wasn't big into the push on Pandas and the whole Zen nature of ying and yang, but every expansion has it's downsides.

At least there were no garrisons... :pac:

Funny all the hate for Pandaria because allot of folk couldnt look past the black and white bears. It actually was a really decent expansion and was better recieved than WOD.

I really liked Pandaria, i thought the setting was beautiful and encouraged me to stay out in the wild more.

I much preferred Pandaria to Draenor. Thought the zones were beautiful and the questlines were mostly interesting and cool. The dungeon content was absolutely terrible in that one, but overall I thought it was a good expansion

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Playing on and off since day one, didn't enjoy the last two expansions and unsubbed after 6 weeks or so from both, I'm hoping it will be different this time round with legion.

Advertisement