Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So you are too old/fat/unfit/ *delete as appropriate* to play?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Gael85

Club Name:St James Gaels
    Code (hurling/football/handball): Football
    Level played:Junior A,Junior C,Minor,U16,U14,U12,U10,U8
    Contact detail
    stjamesgaels.com or axelf82@hotmail.com
    Any other info: St James Gaels will commence pre season training for next season in early January and we are inviting new members(playing and non playing) to join our club. We have 2 adult men teams, a Junior A team and Junior C team.The second team is a social team which is for lads looking for game. We are based southside in Iveagh Grounds on Crumlin Road about 15-20 minutes from city centre. 77,77a,50,150,151 buses pass the pitch,17,18,121,122,123 buses go near the pitch as well.
    We have excellent floodlight training facilities,astro pitch training pitch and floodlite pitch.

axelf82@hotmail.com

Code (football): Football
    Contact details:
    stjamesgaels.com or axelf82@hotmail.com
    Any other info: St James Gaels will commence pre season training for next season in early January and we are inviting new members(playing and non playing) to join our club. We have 2 adult men football teams, a Junior A team and Junior C team.The second team is a social team which is for lads looking for game. We are based southside in Iveagh Grounds on Crumlin Road about 15-20 minutes from city centre. 77,77a,50,150,151 buses pass the pitch,17,18,121,122,123 buses go near the pitch as well.
    We have excellent floodlight training facilities,astro pitch training pitch and floodlite pitch.

axelf82@hotmail.com

sorry lads forget to specify we only have football teams,not hurling and handball

• Registered Users Posts: 35 b2dadizzle

Hi guys, great thread. I'm from Carlow, and the local club is Mount Leinster Rangers. I played constantly until minor grade, even playing for the county on a couple of occasions, so I wasn't too bad at football. Terrible at hurling though. Since then, work, university, love, laziness, and a constant illness (ibs) has prevented me from playing no more than a couple of junior football games in the last 10 years. But now, I'm raring to get back playing. The club mainly concentrates on hurling, even then it's senior hurling. So there are no training sessions for the junior teams. Basically, it's just a case of turning up for a game, and hoping to get picked. My main issue is getting fit on my own. I know running will help, and i'm gonna go for it. However, I'm as skinny as a pen, mainly due to the illness. I'm 11.5 stone in weight and 6 foot 2 inches tall. I want to buil muscle before I go back playing, as I'm worried that some 20 stone farmer will break me in half with a shoulder. Anyone advise me on exercises to do at home, I've only got a set of dumbells.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RightHalfBack

Anytime i have trained on my own I found doing interval runs on a threadmill a very good way to build up a good fitness base.

So to start you could try,
    run two minutes at a slow pace (8km per hour) then one minute at a faster pace (between 12 & 16 km per hour) then repeat the cycle 10 times, so a 30 minute run overall

breaks up the monotony of running by yourself too.

For the weights I have always done lots of lateral raises, and regular press ups..
    Also you can get these chin\press up bars in Elverys i think for around 30euro that are really good,

A skipping rope could be good to develope a bit of foot speed and coordination also (then that 20st farmer wont even be able ot get close to you :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

p90x is a right good workout scheme. high intensity interval training is the way to go give it a google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

oh its a sticky was a little confused their for a min .. good sticky :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Just wondering how physical Junior B/C hurling gets. I ask because I'm not allowed play contact sports (because of brain surgery 6 years ago). But I'm thinking if I wore a helmet I might be OK at a fairly low level of hurling. Played as a kid and loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RightHalfBack

Just wondering how physical Junior B/C hurling gets. I ask because I'm not allowed play contact sports (because of brain surgery 6 years ago). But I'm thinking if I wore a helmet I might be OK at a fairly low level of hurling. Played as a kid and loved it.

jez sometimes the hits can actually be harder\later at lower levels, id say you could join a club for training and just do the drills for a while and see how you get on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 murphy93

My da and uncle both late 40's are still clickling the young butts on the parc so maybe 50 is the top age.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Great Thread!
    Finaly plucked up the balls to get back Hurling after an eleven year break!
    Im 32 this year so its a long wait!
    Trained thursday night for the first time and was pleasently surprised by my touch and fitness managed to stay with the pack in training and hope to realy give it a good go for the season and more!
    Granted its Junior A but i cant explain how good it felt to just pull on a sliotar in anger!
    The welcome back was great bit of banter but full support i realy dont think youd get it in any other sport!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭coillcam

I'm no doctor and I'm not going to make assumptions on your condition but any contact sport at any competitive level (be it friendly, junior, inter-county or pro) will always have a risk of injury even in training. Personally I don't think it would be good idea helmet or otherwise.

Perhaps you could consider getting involved in coaching or helping out local juvenile teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bigdirtyjames

Great Thread!
    Finaly plucked up the balls to get back Hurling after an eleven year break!
    Im 32 this year so its a long wait!
    Trained thursday night for the first time and was pleasently surprised by my touch and fitness managed to stay with the pack in training and hope to realy give it a good go for the season and more!
    Granted its Junior A but i cant explain how good it felt to just pull on a sliotar in anger!
    The welcome back was great bit of banter but full support i realy dont think youd get it in any other sport!

Fair play to you sir.

I played a lot when I was younger, and now that the kids are into it (I'm 33), I've started hitting the ball about a bit again.

So, I'm trying to lose weight and was thinking I'd love to turn out at a low level next year for some club who are desperate enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Ok been meaning to update this for awhile but i kept forgetting.

Some people who know me here know i have had really bad problems with a ruptured achilles tendon. I played last year when i shouldnt have and made it much worse. So this year i had decided to take the year out because as stubborn as i am even i knew it was time to take a break.

But gaelic is just like the mafia:

I was asked to coach a girls team, they did not have a coach and would have forfeit the year otherwise so i stepped in. I have helped coaches before but this was a much bigger step, i dont get nervous generally but i have to admit the collywobbles were present :D

It was a culture shock to say the least, and took some adaptation on both sides. The girls told me they had never been pushed as hard (One is a county player :D ) to be honest this team is known as not being a serious team and cannon fodder for other teams. I had THREE club players in total out of a panel of over 20!

At the start i figured i would measure success with wins, but to be totally honest there were 4 or 5 girls who had never touched an o'neills ball before who now have at least basic gaelic skills and that warmed my heart no end!

Yeah we got hammered too :o

So anyway three clubs then got in touch wanting me to come coach for them, one guy who is the games development officer for the county actually drove around looking for me after a coaching seminar to try talk me into coming to his club haha!

So lads how have the rest of yis been gettin on?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mhoward

Hi all,

I was wondering about joining a GAA (football) team, I've never played before, but am willing to try hard... Anyone know about teams in Shankill/Loughlinstown area? I'm 26 by the way so looking for an adult team... Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thelazygun

Hi All,

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have any details about whether St.Vincents in Fairview have a juniors B/C team. I've wanted to start playing again all year now.

-Also, is it possible to join teams mid-season, an earlier reply said that seasons start around February?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

mhoward wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was wondering about joining a GAA (football) team, I've never played before, but am willing to try hard... Anyone know about teams in Shankill/Loughlinstown area? I'm 26 by the way so looking for an adult team... Thanks in advance!

Give Cuala a try they have loads of teams at different levels

http://www.cualagaa.ie/

St James Gaels 2012
    Club Name:
    St James Gaels
    Location:Iveagh Grounds,Crumlin Rd,Dublin12.Areas recruit from:Walkinstown,Drimnagh,Crumlin,Kimmage,Harold Cross,The Liberties
    Code (football): Gaelic Football
    Contact details:stjamesgaels.com or axelf82@hotmail.com
    Any other info: St James Gaels will commence pre season training for next season in December and we are inviting new members(playing and non playing) to join our club. We will be doing gym for December and early January then pre-season training from mid January.We have 2 progressing adult men football teams, a Junior A team and Junior C team. We are based southside in Iveagh Grounds on Crumlin Road about 15-20 minutes from city centre. 27,56,56a,77a,151 buses pass the pitch,17,18,121,122,123,150 buses go near the pitch as well.

Both Junior teams had a decent season in 2011 and will be looking to progress a step further next year,first team just missed out on promotion and got to semi final of junior championship and second team lost out in promotion playoff game.

axelf82@hotmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mickindublin24

Would love to go back playing Gaelic football. I played at underage and was a half decent wing back. Am 40 years old now though. Anyone know any clubs in the Tallaght area with an old team looking for players ?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

Would love to go back playing Gaelic football. I played at underage and was a half decent wing back. Am 40 years old now though. Anyone know any clubs in the Tallaght area with an old team looking for players ?

Give either of these a try, I thomas davis have a proper junior team with a good few elder statesmen :D

http://www.thomasdavisgaa.ie/ or http://www.stmarksgaa.ie/default.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f

St James Gaels 2012
    Location:Iveagh Grounds,Crumlin Rd,Dublin12.Areas recruit from:Walkinstown,Drimnagh,Crumlin,Kimmage,Harold Cross,The Liberties
    Any other info: St James Gaels will commence pre season training for next season in January and we are inviting new members(playing and non playing) to join our club.We have 2 progressing adult men football teams, a Junior A team and Junior C team. We are based southside in Iveagh Grounds on Crumlin Road about 15-20 minutes from city centre. 27,56,56a,77a,151 buses pass the pitch,17,18,121,122,123,150 buses go near the pitch as well.

Both Junior teams had a decent season in 2011 and will be looking to progress a step further next year,first team just missed out on promotion and got to semi final of junior championship and second team lost out in promotion playoff game.

We will be starting training on 9th January and train every monday and wednesday nights in Iveagh Grounds Crumlin Road at 7.30pm,we have a mix of players from all over the country Kerry, Laois,Cork,Mayo,Galway,Clare,Donegal ,Sligo,Down and even a couple of Austrailians.We also enjoy and organise many social events/fundraisers throughout the year(including end of season trip) so all welcome to train or play.For more info please contact me @axelf82@hotmail.com

http://www.stjamesgaels.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Just wondering does anyone know of a club (preferably not too far from the Dublin 6 area) that would welcome absolute beginners for camogie?! I'm 24 but would love to take it up, is there any club with teams of a low enough level for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 louthlas

Hi, I had a similar train of thought this time last year. I joined Plunketts club out the Navan Road. I found they had far too many players though and it was hard to get a place as I too am a beginner. The team was also quite young. I'm 24 too and part of the reason to join was a bit of craic. Anyway long story short, club was too far away from me to make matches and trainings after work and also they had more than enough players. I would be interested in joining another club closer to the City Centre or maybe on a Luas line. So I may join you on your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Fair play to you sir.

I played a lot when I was younger, and now that the kids are into it (I'm 33), I've started hitting the ball about a bit again.

So, I'm trying to lose weight and was thinking I'd love to turn out at a low level next year for some club who are desperate enough.

If you're still looking to get involved for 2012 then Réalt Dearg are based on the Southside of Dublin if that's any use. We have two teams and players of all abilities so don't worry about having been out of the game a few years! If you fancy coming down training we're starting hurling in early Feb, currently some lads are doing gym/running/yoga depending on which they like to stay in shape. First round of cup matches in late Feb. Just go to www.realtdearg.ie and call/text/email one of the lads from the committee page. We'd love to have you on board!

Just wondering does anyone know of a club (preferably not too far from the Dublin 6 area) that would welcome absolute beginners for camogie?! I'm 24 but would love to take it up, is there any club with teams of a low enough level for this?
    louthlas wrote: »
    Hi, I had a similar train of thought this time last year. I joined Plunketts club out the Navan Road. I found they had far too many players though and it was hard to get a place as I too am a beginner. The team was also quite young. I'm 24 too and part of the reason to join was a bit of craic. Anyway long story short, club was too far away from me to make matches and trainings after work and also they had more than enough players. I would be interested in joining another club closer to the City Centre or maybe on a Luas line. So I may join you on your search.

Folks if you have a look at my original post on this thread there is a zipped folder full of word documents. Each county has it's own word document with websites for a number of clubs, have a look and you might find clubs there in your areas.
    If you're still looking to get involved for 2012 then Réalt Dearg are based on the Southside of Dublin if that's any use. We have two teams and players of all abilities so don't worry about having been out of the game a few years! If you fancy coming down training we're starting hurling in early Feb, currently some lads are doing gym/running/yoga depending on which they like to stay in shape. First round of cup matches in late Feb. Just go to www.realtdearg.ie and call/text/email one of the lads from the committee page. We'd love to have you on board!

You know what's funny, I used to puck around in Bushy park in my youth with a friend and more than once we were shouted at for playing "Bogball" there. I would add that this was shouted to/at us by pupils of that rugby school across the road from the park! Great to see you lads getting that together had heard of you awhile ago but didn't know the name. I cannot add your details to the word documents in the original post so what I would suggest is to come back every once in awhile like Gael85 there and let people know about the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bigdirtyjames

Unfortunately I'm in Belfast lol.

Thanks for the reply though mate.

Unfortunately I'm in Belfast

Where in belfast?

Gael85 wrote: »
    St James Gaels 2012
    Any other info: St James Gaels will commence pre season training for next season in January and we are inviting new members(playing and non playing) to join our club.We have 2 progressing adult men football teams, a Junior A team and Junior C team. We are based southside in Iveagh Grounds on Crumlin Road about 15-20 minutes from city centre. 27,56,56a,77a,151 buses pass the pitch,17,18,121,122,123,150 buses go near the pitch as well.

We will be starting training on 9th January and train every monday and wednesday nights in Iveagh Grounds Crumlin Road at 7.30pm,we have a mix of players from all over the country Kerry, Laois,Cork,Mayo,Galway,Clare,Donegal ,Sligo,Down and even a couple of Austrailians.We also enjoy and organise many social events/fundraisers throughout the year(including end of season trip) so all welcome to train or play.For more info please contact me @axelf82@hotmail.com

http://www.stjamesgaels.com/

were still looking for new players,league starting in a couple weeks,train monday and wednesday evenings@7:30,new players welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Podgemus

Hi Lads, Im 23 and havent played or trained for Gaelic Football since i was 16 or so in school. I played in Goal as a young lad and was handy enuf but dropped it for other things. Im going back tonight to play with my local Junior club and i would be lying if i said i wasnt nervous :o. Im going to try play out field becuase i play up front in soccer, so no interest in being a keeper as the head for it has gone out the window. Fitness will be no problem to me as ive a serious interest in outdoor sports and train 4 nights a week sometimes with soccer but im wondering am i crazy attempting to play outfield when ive never done it before, even as a young lad. :( Fair enough il learn but is it too late to be starting from scratch?? :confused:

Podgemus wrote: »
    Hi Lads, Im 23 and havent played or trained for Gaelic Football since i was 16 or so in school. I played in Goal as a young lad and was handy enuf but dropped it for other things. Im going back tonight to play with my local Junior club and i would be lying if i said i wasnt nervous :o. Im going to try play out field becuase i play up front in soccer, so no interest in being a keeper as the head for it has gone out the window. Fitness will be no problem to me as ive a serious interest in outdoor sports and train 4 nights a week sometimes with soccer but im wondering am i crazy attempting to play outfield when ive never done it before, even as a young lad. :( Fair enough il learn but is it too late to be starting from scratch?? :confused:

Never too late to learn my friend. What I would suggest is maybe go to watch a few training sessions and figure out what position you would want to play. If you are going or a forward position you need alot of skill when it comes to shooting both from your hand and off the ground.

Be prepared for alot of work though that's all I will say, but the sooner you get stuck in the sooner you will be flyin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Just the thread I was looking for, I think!

So I'm 39yo and have started back with the local football club playing junior football after an 8 year absence. I'm fit as I've kept up running and triathlon in the meantime, although not so much in the last 4 years since the kids came along:rolleyes:.

I've run 2 10 mile road races in respectable times this Spring so I have the stamina. Where I'm lacking is sharpness and sprinting. The other thing is my joints aren't holding up that well to the football training - it's a shock to them all this twisting and turning, acclerating, braking, jumping etc etc. I've ice on my ankle as I type - swollen after a game on hard ground yesterday:eek:)

I've played 3 games so far and am very happy to be back at it and am contributing well. However.... I'm f**ked after a burst of play for a 1 minute till I get my wind back. So how can I work on this? I haven't football trained the last 2 weeks between games as a knee was at me (I did swim and slow run on the beach). I'm looking at doing a session by myself and am thinking of 20m sprints and 50m sprints, after a suitable warm-up and strecth of course.

Any suggestions?

Also what are a good pair of boots? I'm used to good quality well fitting Asics runners for running which give good support and have helped keep injuries to a minimum while running. Are there football boots out there with good support? (The current pair I think are 12yo:D)

Advertisement