Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Which in of itself is ridiculous.

The whole thing is a shambles. I've said it got years. Donnacha Walsh should have been in there too fwiw.

No-one ever accused the All-Stars of making sense.

Treating the YPOTY as an extra All-Star isnt the craziest part of the whole process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭harpsman

Which in of itself is ridiculous.

The whole thing is a shambles. I've said it got years. Donnacha Walsh should have been in there too fwiw.
    Dont really agree. Personally Id just go for the 15 best players myself, rather than sticking rigidly to each position, particularly as actual playing positions are very fluid these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,868 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Is there a new policy for selecting the All Stars, in that the two semi-finalists get three, runners up four and the winners five! Only reason I can see for Mc Carthy of Dublin, or indeed if to a lesser extent, Mayo`s Boyle getting one rather than Frank Mc Glynn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Well done Ryan McHugh. Odhran had the bigger impact for me this year but great to see two young fellas bed in so quickly. Hugely promising.

James O Donaghoe unsurprisingly player of the year. Sensational footballer. Neil out scored him in the final mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

Eunans just beat michaels there by a point

• Advertisement

Glenswilly v Eunans in the senior.

Dungloe v Eunans in the reserve.

Glenswilly to win and to go close in Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Glenswilly v Eunans in the senior.

Dungloe v Eunans in the reserve.

Glenswilly to win and to go close in Ulster.

Eunans to win it and Maxi to lead them to Ulster glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Sounded like two cracking semi finals. Well, the second game took a while to get going. The TG4 games for next weekend have been confirmed and the Donegal final will not be shown - it has gotten plenty of exposure in recent years in fairness and the games have never been that good. One of the games shown will be Omagh v Cross which will be interesting to watch.

Bookies have the Glen as slight favourites. The game is a rematch of the 2007 Final (Eunans 0-12, Glenswilly 1-03).

Congrats to our four All Stars and Young Player of the Year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Good Stuff. Looking forward to the league now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

Best of what was on offer really, but I don't think it mattered who was signed up. Cant help feeling underwhelmed by everyone after jim!

Also, bringing the announcements forward, deflection from NC's appeal?

Bigger question now is the backroom team.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Beagslife

Keith Duggan has a good piece this morning, in the IT.

MC

Beagslife wrote: »
    Keith Duggan has a good piece this morning, in the IT.

MC

He's a brilliant writer, Keith Duggan. And a proud Donegal man which helps.

Excellent piece, shame he had to bring up that result in 2000. One of the low points. Didn't Tony Boyle miss a penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Lads, I see the Donegal County Final will go ahead today after the Naomh Conaill appeal was thrown out.

Now, obviously I wasn't at the match, but from what I've read, a player got a black card, after having a Yellow Card, and was replaced. The game was level, and the replacement went on to kick the point to put them in the lead, and they won by 2.

Now, in this situation the precedent has already been set that there would be a replay (Pobail Scoil Corca Dhuibhne vs Coláiste Críost Rí in the Munster Schools Quarter Final)

However, seemingly to avoid a replay and delaying the County Final, the County board, rescinded the Black Card and threw out the appeal.

Was anyone at the match? Was the Black Card justified. Should it possibly been a yellow (irrelevant I know, as he would have walked anyway).

Seems like a horrible decision, and doesn't paint the Gaa in a good light.

Eunans county champions.

Crossmaglen out of Ulster. Big chance missed for Glenswilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,868 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Lads, I see the Donegal County Final will go ahead today after the Naomh Conaill appeal was thrown out.

Now, obviously I wasn't at the match, but from what I've read, a player got a black card, after having a Yellow Card, and was replaced. The game was level, and the replacement went on to kick the point to put them in the lead, and they won by 2.

Now, in this situation the precedent has already been set that there would be a replay (Pobail Scoil Corca Dhuibhne vs Coláiste Críost Rí in the Munster Schools Quarter Final)

However, seemingly to avoid a replay and delaying the County Final, the County board, rescinded the Black Card and threw out the appeal.

Was anyone at the match? Was the Black Card justified. Should it possibly been a yellow (irrelevant I know, as he would have walked anyway).

Seems like a horrible decision, and doesn't paint the Gaa in a good light.

Is`nt it just another example of how much of a farce the black card has become?
    Referees now seem to throw in one or two near the end of a game, for no reason in relation to the rest of the game, other than they have just realised "I haven`t issued one yet, Big Brother in Croke Park will be annoyed"

charlie14 wrote: »
    Is`nt it just another example of how much of a farce the black card has become?
    Referees now seem to throw in one or two near the end of a game, for no reason in relation to the rest of the game, other than they have just realised "I haven`t issued one yet, Big Brother in Croke Park will be annoyed"
    To be honest, in this situation, the black card isn't the issue at all.

The issue is (for me anyway) the County Board messing around with the rules, so that they wouldn't be inconvenienced with the postponement of the County Final, and all the trappings that would go with that (Murphy not making the Australia trip).

If he had got two yellow cards, and the ref forgot about the first, I'd imagine one of the yellows would have been rescinded also. From what I've heard, the Black Card had no reason to be rescinded.

I feel sorry for Naomh Conall in the situation, and i'd imagine not knowing whether the match went ahead or not may have affected Glenswilly as well.

DDC1990 wrote: »

I wasn't at the match, but from talking with someone who was, specifically about whether or not this was a black card, he said that the whistle was blown when the player in question pulled back one of the Naomh Conaill players. So, technically, not a black card (pulling down is, pulling back is not).

I agree the whole thing is a mess.

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I wasn't at the match, but from talking with someone who was, specifically about whether or not this was a black card, he said that the whistle was blown when the player in question pulled back one of the Naomh Conaill players. So, technically, not a black card (pulling down is, pulling back is not).

You see I have no problem with the Black Card being rescinded in that case... however, the rescinding of the black card and the case of an ineligible player not only playing, but actually scoring a crucial point should be completely seperate issues. The black card should have been wiped, and the replay granted.

Its not just a Donegal CB thing, but a Gaa thing. Similar funny-buggers went on with Keegans Red being rescinded, Darragh Ó Sé famously getting his red overturned. something needs to be done about it because for all the professionalism on the field, off the field things are as bad as ever.

Anyway, its over and done with.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dgl1992

The person who told you the above couldn't have been at the game either as its so far from what happened its laughable. The black card was shown due to a collision between a glenswilly player and a Glenties player. Not a thing to do with a pull back. It was never a black card as the collision was accidental and not deliberate.

Thanks for your views first time poster. We probably know each other....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭tanko

Why did Naoimh Conaill not take this any further to the ulster council or ccccc? Sounds like they were hard done by.

Four Masters ladies team denied a replay against Monaghan Harps in another fine GAA mess.

tanko wrote: »
    Why did Naoimh Conaill not take this any further to the ulster council or ccccc? Sounds like they were hard done by.

Naomh Conaill did appeal Donegal CCC decision to Ulster Hearings Committee. They rejected it too.

As many of you will remember there was an all out brawl between Four Masters and St. Eunans at half time during their quarter final in MacCumhaill Park. It went on for approx 3 minutes as far as i recall.

From reports in last weeks Democrat it seems that the County Board haven't even begun an investigation. I have no doubt that had the brawl involved certain other clubs we would have seen swift action and bans and fines at this stage.

Is there one rule for some clubs and another for the rest??

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Four Masters ladies team denied a replay against Monaghan Harps in another fine GAA mess.

Wtf? The referee had it down as Four Masters winning? How'd they work that one out?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

K-9 wrote: »
    Wtf? The referee had it down as Four Masters winning? How'd they work that one out?

Looks like the ref awarded two Harps points to Four Masters in his notebook, so had it as 2-6 to 1-6 in favor of Four Masters when it should have actually been 2-4 to to 1-8. Scoreboard was right at end of game, just ref was wrong.

• Advertisement

Looks like the ref awarded two Harps points to Four Masters in his notebook, so had it as 2-6 to 1-6 in favor of Four Masters when it should have actually been 2-4 to to 1-8. Scoreboard was right at end of game, just ref was wrong.

Yeah, that was my understanding of the issue. Monaghan Harps posted the scorers and the times of each score on their FB page and also said that Four Masters had tweeted the scores (I don't recall that, but I might have missed it). Also the fourth official had the score as per the scoreboard.

I think the annoyance relates to the fact the ref led (some) Four Masters players to believe they were winning and so they played out the game accordingly, i.e. rather than pushing on to equalise, they held the ball more?

What a mess.

Advertisement